Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 08:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Masters in Accounting for ibanking

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Masters in Accounting for ibanking [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 17:40
Hi guys,

I studied Econ at a non-target school and I'm trying to find a way into IB or even the buyside by getting a Masters in Accounting.

I applied to USC, UT & GWU for 2011. I got into UT and GWU but not into USC, which was my 1st choice.

What has the recruiting been like at these schools RECENTLY - 2009 and 2010?
Are the schools' websites accurate wrt to the firms that recruit accounting majors there?
Are the accounting majors getting IB / Research jobs at GS, JPM, Lazard or are those the stats for the MBA students as well?

I really don't want to end up in Texas - I only want to go there for the recruiting. I would've loved go to USC to get a chance to interview for IB jobs in LA so I can stay in my home state.

If I accept UT, is it possible to land gigs in NY or LA? Will I only be able to go outside of Texas by using the alumni network?

Is the recruiting at Rutgers any better?

If anyone who was accepted to USC wants to swap places, let me know :-)

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 684 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Masters in Accounting for ibanking [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 05:34
McLaughin wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a way into IB or even the buyside by getting a Masters in Accounting.

What has the recruiting been like at these schools RECENTLY - 2009 and 2010?
Are the schools' websites accurate wrt to the firms that recruit accounting majors there?
Are the accounting majors getting IB / Research jobs at GS, JPM, Lazard or are those the stats for the MBA students as well?

I really don't want to end up in Texas - I only want to go there for the recruiting. I would've loved go to USC to get a chance to interview for IB jobs in LA so I can stay in my home state.

If I accept UT, is it possible to land gigs in NY or LA? Will I only be able to go outside of Texas by using the alumni network?

Is the recruiting at Rutgers any better?

Jeez....

Who knew that someone might consider Rutgers over UT Austin?

Let's get started, shall we?

1) Please don't choose Rutgers over UT Austin. Firstly, Rutgers will not help you get a job at an IB (definitely not buyside, or anything fancy that you've mentioned above). I am not insulting the school. I am telling you that for the positions that you are seeking, MS Accounting is not the way to go.

2) In general, if you want to go straight into IB with an accounting degree, chances are, you will be going into Operations, Treasury, or other support functions.

3) If you wouldn't mind working in one of those support functions, you can always work at a Big 4 for couple of years and get a job with a financial services company with your Big 4 experience. If you really want to do stuff that you mentioned above, MS Finance/Applied Mathematics, etc is better option than MS Accounting. If not, wait few years and go get a MBA.
Banned
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Masters in Accounting for ibanking [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 12:11
Texas isn't entirely steers and cattle fyi. There are plenty of investment banking opportunities in Houston, Dallas, and Austin as well.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Masters in Accounting for ibanking [#permalink] New post 03 May 2011, 13:28
"nink" is absolutely right. I would be living proof of it.

MSA is *not* for traditional i-banking no matter how you cut it. If you're okay with a support role with not as much visibility and a back-office orientation, then MSA is fine. Not as much stress but not as much money either. If you want to be a suit-and-pinstripes type, on the other hand, you want to get an MBA from a Top 20 program.

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Re: Masters in Accounting for ibanking   [#permalink] 03 May 2011, 13:28