Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Masters in Accounting--pls review profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Masters in Accounting--pls review profile [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I know you primarily evaluate profiles for MBA programs, but I am interested in Masters in Accounting programs, so I hope you can evaluate my profile.

I am an Asian female (23 yrs old) who just graduated from UCI Fall 2006 with a Psych degree and a minor in Management. My overall GPA at UCI is a 2.77. If I include community college grades since UCI doesn't, my overall would be 2.94. My GPA for the last 60 sem/90 quarter units is a 2.74. My GMAT score is 650 with a 5.5 AWA, and I plan to retake it sometime this month. I am applying to SDSU, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State LA, and USC. USC is my first choice. What do you think are my chances for the USC MAcc program? What about for the other schools? What schools, including those not listed, do I have a good chance at?

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 18:09
From the USC Leventhal website, it states that to be a competitive applicant, the applicant must have the following:

-minimum overall GPA of 3.0
-a total score equal to or higher than 600 (strongly recommended)

Also, from the website,
"Since the programs are graduate accounting and tax, the admissions committee looks for evidence that the applicant is capable of excelling in an undergraduate accounting course and in an economics course. The following courses must be completed, with a passing grade of B or better, prior to enrollment:

Introductory Financial Accounting
Microeconomics or Macroeconomics"

I received a C in Financial Acctg but received an A in Managerial Acctg. I got a C in Macroecon and an A (retake from an F) in Microecon. The USC Admissions Advisor told me the following:

"If you’ve taken another accounting course, such as managerial accounting, and received a better grade, we will take that into consideration as well when making admission decisions, since we look at grades received in ALL accounting courses.

If the admissions committee believes that an applicant has high potential to do succeed academically in the program and succeed professionally in the accounting profession, having a grade below a B will not necessarily mean that this person will not gain admission. Remember, we look at ALL parts of the application when we make admission decisions, not just grades and test scores."
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in Accounting--pls review profile [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 18:48
squigglylines wrote:
Hi,

I know you primarily evaluate profiles for MBA programs, but I am interested in Masters in Accounting programs, so I hope you can evaluate my profile.

I am an Asian female (23 yrs old) who just graduated from UCI Fall 2006 with a Psych degree and a minor in Management. My overall GPA at UCI is a 2.77. If I include community college grades since UCI doesn't, my overall would be 2.94. My GPA for the last 60 sem/90 quarter units is a 2.74. My GMAT score is 650 with a 5.5 AWA, and I plan to retake it sometime this month. I am applying to SDSU, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State LA, and USC. USC is my first choice. What do you think are my chances for the USC MAcc program? What about for the other schools? What schools, including those not listed, do I have a good chance at?

Thanks.

Squigglylines,

Based on the info you gave me, I think you have a decent chance at USC. I would be guardedly optimistic if I were you. After all, they take the quality of your school into consideration too, and UC Irvine is a decent school. Plus, your 650 is well above their minimum. You should be a lock for the other 3 schools.

I don't really focus on master's in accounting programs, so I hesitate to recommend other schools. They are generally easier to get into than MBA programs because the competition (number of applicants) is not as fierce. Therefore, judging by your GMAT, you should be able to get into some high quality schools. For example, a 650 makes you competitive at *business* schools like Notre Dame, Illinois, Ohio State, Cornell, Rochester, Purdue, Indiana, so you should be able to aim even higher in the ranks of master's of acounting programs. The following business schools are the highest-ranked in accounting by USNews:

1. University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign
2. University of Texas-Austin (McCombs)
3. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (Ross)
4. University of Chicago
5. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
6. University of Southern California (Marshall)
7. Stanford University (CA)
8. New York University (Stern)
9. Brigham Young University (Marriott) (UT)
10. Ohio State University (Fisher)

Assuming their accounting master's program are just as strong, based on your GMAT, my guess is you would have a good chance at Illinois, Brigham Young, and Ohio State and could have "guarded optimism" at Texas and USC. Again, I am no expert on master's in accounting programs -- these are just some ballpark comments.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 12:55
Thank you for your input. I just had one more question. Well, I spoke with the admissions advisor at USC, and she mentioned that the average GMAT is 647, and the avg GPA is 3.43. The school admits people on a rolling admissions basis. Would you recommend I apply with my current GMAT score and try to apply early, or should I retake the GMAT and try to score a few points higher and apply later?

The admissions advisor said that the later I applied, the fewer spots would be open and the more stringent they would be on deciding which people take the few spots still available. So she said if the academic side of my application is not as high, I should focus more on other parts of my application such as work experience. BUT she also said that since work experience is not required for applying to the masters program, they tend to look more at the GMAT and GPA.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 13:00
Sorry, one more thing. The admissions advisor also mentioned that it also depends on the group of applicants I am up against at the time I turn in my application. So my competition is whoever turns in their applications at the same time as me.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 18:48
squigglylines wrote:
Thank you for your input. I just had one more question. Well, I spoke with the admissions advisor at USC, and she mentioned that the average GMAT is 647, and the avg GPA is 3.43. The school admits people on a rolling admissions basis. Would you recommend I apply with my current GMAT score and try to apply early, or should I retake the GMAT and try to score a few points higher and apply later?

The admissions advisor said that the later I applied, the fewer spots would be open and the more stringent they would be on deciding which people take the few spots still available. So she said if the academic side of my application is not as high, I should focus more on other parts of my application such as work experience. BUT she also said that since work experience is not required for applying to the masters program, they tend to look more at the GMAT and GPA.

squigglylines,

I think you should apply now with the GMAT score you have now. I recommend that you take their advice about focusing on other parts of the application. If there are good extenuating circumstances for your GPA and/or if your GPA in your accounting-related courses was good, you may want to devote an optional essay to addressing both these areas to help put your GPA in a more favorable context.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2007, 16:11
Hi,

I'm almost in the same boat as squiggly but with a lower gmat score and a higher gpa.

Minority Student
1 Year of work experience in consumer products industry.
GMAT: 580
GPA: 3.71 Finance from the University of Florida (cum laude)

Micro,Macroeconomics, and intro to financial accounting I have received a grade of an A

I was wondering what my chances are at UT, UNC, and USC. Does my GMAT absolutely kill my chances? I'm currently scheduled to take the GMAT again on the 24 of Feburary. Is that too late? How do deadlines work, must they have my final gmat score by the deadline?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2007, 17:19
neueziel wrote:
Hi,

I'm almost in the same boat as squiggly but with a lower gmat score and a higher gpa.

Minority Student
1 Year of work experience in consumer products industry.
GMAT: 580
GPA: 3.71 Finance from the University of Florida (cum laude)

Micro,Macroeconomics, and intro to financial accounting I have received a grade of an A

I was wondering what my chances are at UT, UNC, and USC. Does my GMAT absolutely kill my chances? I'm currently scheduled to take the GMAT again on the 24 of Feburary. Is that too late? How do deadlines work, must they have my final gmat score by the deadline?

Thanks!

Neueziel,

If you are an underrepresented minority you may have a small chance with your current GMAT but it would be a longshot. Whether a GMAT score reported after the deadline will be considered is a school-by-school thing. Check those schools' FAQs to find out whether February 24 is too late.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2007, 18:14
Hi Paul,

So, I have another dilemma. One out of my three recommenders wrote a mediocre recommendation. I got to read them because he had sent me some of my letters without envelopes, and for USC, he submitted it online. The recommendation is positive, but it is very short and does not say much about me. How badly do you think this will affect my admissions if my other two recommendations are a lot better?

Thanks,
squigglylines
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2007, 18:18
squigglylines wrote:
Hi Paul,

So, I have another dilemma. One out of my three recommenders wrote a mediocre recommendation. I got to read them because he had sent me some of my letters without envelopes, and for USC, he submitted it online. The recommendation is positive, but it is very short and does not say much about me. How badly do you think this will affect my admissions if my other two recommendations are a lot better?

Thanks,
squigglylines

Minor negative impact. Not likely to be deal-breaker, but obviously doesn't help you.

Paul Bodine /