Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Masters in Finance and Related Programs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 20:29
HI guys, I really need your advice right now
Im currently a senior college student. Finance major
Im gonna take GMAT this December, goal is 690-700
I will graduate in May 2011, and I plan to apply for MSF Programs right after that, meaning Im gonna start the application this Winter 2010 (November-Jan)
My GPA will be around 3.8. Internship in Finance (Banking): less than 1 year.
I can only can afford 20 000 a year. So a scholarship is a must :(
Can you give me suggestions of good schools (job placement) for MSF?
I think I will apply for 6-8 uni/colleges in U.S.!! (not UK)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 15:59
thank u for information
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2011
Posts: 13
Schools: Wharton, LBS, LSE, DSF, ISB
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 10:44
Good List...But to be frank, people should alway look at the profile of the current and existing students. For example .. LBS, LSE have admit very high profiled individuals from the industry.. so work ex is extremely important. In fact, you stand very little chance even with a 700+ score, if you do not have relevant and about 5-6 years of work ex.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 05:14
hi,

i must commend the work done by you in this post. i have very recently joined my 1st forum on GMAT. as i suppose time has come for me to start preparing for the same.
i had following apprehensions :
1. do embassies provide info. regarding MBA or MS in thir respective countries. i am interested for UK and US.
2. after a job experience of 2 good years. which is better course in a good college : MS in finance or marketing / 1yr.
MBA which requires job exp.
thanks
aditya
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 292
Location: European union
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2011, 08:23
Nelsonjp86 wrote:
Good List...But to be frank, people should alway look at the profile of the current and existing students. For example .. LBS, LSE have admit very high profiled individuals from the industry.. so work ex is extremely important. In fact, you stand very little chance even with a 700+ score, if you do not have relevant and about 5-6 years of work ex.


LBS is the only school you mentioned that asks for work experience. Other top schools , like LSE, Said, Hec, Imperial, Warwick do not require WE and the average age for their incoming class is usually 23 with 1 or less years of work experience.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 02:21
okay, but is 2 yrs. work ex. good enough??
and how do you rate my profile?
+1 - 78%
+2 - 81%
telecom. engg. - 67%

work ex. of 1 yr. - telecom. company.
let me know if what more can be done to improve my profile for an entry into a good m.b.a cllg??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 292
Location: European union
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 13:14
asquare412 wrote:
okay, but is 2 yrs. work ex. good enough??
and how do you rate my profile?
+1 - 78%
+2 - 81%
telecom. engg. - 67%

work ex. of 1 yr. - telecom. company.
let me know if what more can be done to improve my profile for an entry into a good m.b.a cllg??


LBS is looking for candidates with at least 4-5 years of Work experience. There are other great programs that dont require WE.
For instance, Said`s MS in Financial economics , or maybe Imperial`ls Ms Finance and LSE`s Ms Finance :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 02:45
Can someone give any idea about MSc in Finance in Canada?

UofT, Schulich, Ivey... these are like the top schools. But I'm actually looking for the universities in the next tier?

Is there any one from Uni of McMaster of Uni of Saskatchewan?

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Programming (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 02:34
hi guys,
well i am trying for a MS in finance.
well my profile is good except for the gpa part in coll, which is a meager 6.34/10 but my college was very good i.e IIT Madras(B-tech in Materials science).
My Gmat score is 700, and i may retake it(aiming at least 750).
I have very good extra co-curr.. and even have start-up to my credit.
I have won a lot of scholarships and
I had a minor in social entrepreneurship and innovation in my grads, in which i performed very well.
I am targeting oxford ms in fe, Imperial MS in fin, Cambridge and Hec Paris MS fin.
My worry is that, will my gpa cause a major damage?? or over all my profile will stand the selection storm??. well hoping som of you guys will gimme some insight about this, any tips on how to make this look not a very major flaw in the profile?? chances?? any experience to share??

regards,
Dawn
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 00:50
dawndon wrote:
hi guys,
well i am trying for a MS in finance.
well my profile is good except for the gpa part in coll, which is a meager 6.34/10 but my college was very good i.e IIT Madras(B-tech in Materials science).
My Gmat score is 700, and i may retake it(aiming at least 750).
I have very good extra co-curr.. and even have start-up to my credit.
I have won a lot of scholarships and
I had a minor in social entrepreneurship and innovation in my grads, in which i performed very well.
I am targeting oxford ms in fe, Imperial MS in fin, Cambridge and Hec Paris MS fin.
My worry is that, will my gpa cause a major damage?? or over all my profile will stand the selection storm??. well hoping som of you guys will gimme some insight about this, any tips on how to make this look not a very major flaw in the profile?? chances?? any experience to share??

regards,
Dawn



Hi dawndon, how did your applications go? I have a similar profile (good GMAT and extracurriculars but bad GPA) and finally got into Imperial's Msc Finance, which I will start this fall.
I did not apply to Oxbridge or HEC (I applied to IE, St Gallen and Warwick instead) but I am curious on whether you got accepted there.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Programming (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 00:59
Quote:
Hi dawndon, how did your applications go? I have a similar profile (good GMAT and extracurriculars but bad GPA) and finally got into Imperial's Msc Finance, which I will start this fall.
I did not apply to Oxbridge or HEC (I applied to IE, St Gallen and Warwick instead) but I am curious on whether you got accepted there.


hey,
I got through both Oxford MFE and HEC MIM, although i didi retake GMAT and got 760(:)). IT all went preety well in the end i guess. BTW i chose HEC MIM in the end. Hope it helps.
SOurav
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 292
Location: European union
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 03:22
oblivision wrote:
dawndon wrote:
hi guys,
well i am trying for a MS in finance.
well my profile is good except for the gpa part in coll, which is a meager 6.34/10 but my college was very good i.e IIT Madras(B-tech in Materials science).
My Gmat score is 700, and i may retake it(aiming at least 750).
I have very good extra co-curr.. and even have start-up to my credit.
I have won a lot of scholarships and
I had a minor in social entrepreneurship and innovation in my grads, in which i performed very well.
I am targeting oxford ms in fe, Imperial MS in fin, Cambridge and Hec Paris MS fin.
My worry is that, will my gpa cause a major damage?? or over all my profile will stand the selection storm??. well hoping som of you guys will gimme some insight about this, any tips on how to make this look not a very major flaw in the profile?? chances?? any experience to share??

regards,
Dawn



Hi dawndon, how did your applications go? I have a similar profile (good GMAT and extracurriculars but bad GPA) and finally got into Imperial's Msc Finance,
which I will start this fall.
I did not apply to Oxbridge or HEC (I applied to IE, St Gallen and Warwick instead) but I am curious on whether you got accepted there.



Hey !
May I ask what stats do you have that brought you to Imperial`s MSc Finance ? GPA. GMAT ? Did you also got into St Gallen and Warwick ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V27
GPA: 3.73
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 10:52
Great efforts !!

I was curious about Ohio State University, Fisher college of Business. How is the course ? Can anybody throw more light on that?

Thanks in advance
Shilpa
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 02:58
hi all,

Anyone know if UNSW MFin is any good? I doubt many people here are aiming for this place, but thought I would like to try my chances.

Also, in term of reputations, how does Warwick, Cass and Imperial viewed internationally? Especially in Asia. Do they carry a strong brand power in Asia compared to places like LSE?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 07:04
@ Hjort

It is indeed a great compilation of decent programs..
Could you please tell me what other simulation models except Monte Carlo exists ???
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2014, 02:10
Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2014, 02:10
Thanks
Re: Masters in Finance and Related Programs   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2014, 02:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
best finance master programs in LA cnon 0 22 May 2012, 03:22
Masters in Finance programs that are right for me SPH1 0 09 Nov 2011, 18:37
Applicants for Masters in Finance program MJ2009 14 13 May 2008, 16:41
5 Masters in Finance Program at the Princeton University omolei 5 17 Aug 2006, 08:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Masters in Finance and Related Programs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 57 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.