Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Masters in management or job hunt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Masters in management or job hunt [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 10:07
Hey guys. I'm in a tough situation as I can't decide whether to pursue a masters degree or enter the work force.

I graduated April 2012 (im from South east Asia) and made the terrible mistake of taking it easy for a few months (absolutely regretting it now). I then had a 3-month stint in Europe doing volunteer work with AIESEC. Came back home end of December. I was set on pursuing grad school so I started applying and now I've had admits from some second-tier b-schools in the UK.

Honestly I think I can do much better than those lower-tier schools. I didnt apply to The top-ranked programs because i didnt want to take the GMAT back then. But now I'm thinking I don't want to waste money on a second-rate program and so I'm willing to study and take the GMAT. I think I can i get a pretty good score. But obviously it's too late for me now for the 2013 intake..

I'm looking to get into a graduate scheme for general management (interested in marketing and strategy though). Right now, I can't get into any of these schemes because my undergraduate degree is a bit of a hybrid course (European Studies+international business) and employers don't understand it. My almost 1 year of inactivity also looks quite terrible on my CV... Really kicking myself for it now :( so I don't know if I can get a good job right now...

So I'm looking to get a masters now to further my qualifications. But without any work experience (just 1 summer internship), will my Masters degree have any value after I've graduated? Or will that over qualify me for fresh graduate schemes?

So my dilemma is... Enter a second-tier Masters in Management program this 2013 or gain work experience (if i manage to find one) while studying for the GMAT so I can get into a better school for the 2014 intake?

Thanks for any help!!!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Masters in management or job hunt [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
I would find meaningful employment and apply for intake after 3-4 years of work experience...especially since you've got that one year gap on your resume. Sounds way too early for you to be applying to a top-tier program for matriculation in 2014.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in management or job hunt [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 20:13
Hi CobraKai,

Thanks for the reply! Actually the programs I'm apying to are MSc or MA. They don't require professional experience and usually they only accept candidates with 0-2 years of professional experience, so it's a pre-experience course.

I was thinking if adding a year of work experience would strengthen my CV enough to get me in the top-tier programs or if I should just go take the lower-ranked programs.

I'm mainly concerned with career prospects. Right now it doesn't look very good because of my undergraduate degree so taking a masters in management would definitely add to my qualifications. I can probably get a mediocre job, but not the management trainee position I really want.

So the decision is... Get a mediocre job, study for GMAT and apply for top tier programs for 2014 OR pursue the masters degree in a second tier school this 2013 and apply for good jobs after? I don't want to waste another year :(

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Masters in management or job hunt [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 15:51
Hazyeyes wrote:

So the decision is... Get a mediocre job, study for GMAT and apply for top tier programs for 2014 OR pursue the masters degree in a second tier school this 2013 and apply for good jobs after? I don't want to waste another year :(

Ah, okay. I would go for top tier in 2014 - you only get to do this once, and in the long run, a top tier degree should help out much more than a second tier degree now. In the longview, one year is not long to wait to start your masters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Masters in management or job hunt [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 04:58
Hazyeyes wrote:

Really appreciate this decision, it can also help you to build skills with work experience. Best of luck from me!
Re: Masters in management or job hunt   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2013, 04:58