Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

masters in management vs mba

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

masters in management vs mba [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 05:13
Hi all,

I come from a mixed background (2 unrelated bachelor degrees), have a good gmat (730) and gpa (3.7) but only 3 years work experience, half of which as an entrepreneur (started up a successful bar with a staff of around 6) and the other year and a half as an application developer intern with Microsoft and Goldman

I think this might not be enough to get into a top business school but i really want a career change and go into management

Do you think a Masters In management, that targets pre-experience students, such as that from LBS, HEC, or LSE London would serve me well to get a management job or will I be in direct competition with MBAs?

I would rather wait another 2 years and get an MBA if the MiM won't serve me well, but I would love to do it now since I really want a career change at this point

any opinions on masters in management from the European schools?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: masters in management vs mba [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 05:20
tommyc wrote:
Hi all,

I come from a mixed background (2 unrelated bachelor degrees), have a good gmat (730) and gpa (3.7) but only 3 years work experience, half of which as an entrepreneur (started up a successful bar with a staff of around 6) and the other year and a half as an application developer intern with Microsoft and Goldman

I think this might not be enough to get into a top business school but i really want a career change and go into management

Do you think a Masters In management, that targets pre-experience students, such as that from LBS, HEC, or LSE London would serve me well to get a management job or will I be in direct competition with MBAs?

I would rather wait another 2 years and get an MBA if the MiM won't serve me well, but I would love to do it now since I really want a career change at this point

any opinions on masters in management from the European schools?

Do you want to work in the US or Europe? In the US, the MiM doesn't have nearly the same brand recognition as an MBA, and you probably will not get the same opportunities that an MBA would provide. However, I'm not sure why you think you don't have enough experience for an MBA. Your experience sounds very interesting and if you apply for fall 2010 entry, you'll have 4 years work experience at matriculation, which is close to the avg of 5 years. Plus, some schools like HBS and Stanford are specifically trending more towards younger applicants.

You've got a lot of time before the next application season starts this fall, so you can do school research to find where you think you'll fit, and start thinking about how to spin your work experience and career goals into a compelling case for MBA admission.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: masters in management vs mba   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2009, 05:20