Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting
GPA: 3.01
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Masters of Accounting or MBA [#permalink]
Just checking again to see if anyone has any advice. I appreciate all your help!!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.17
Send PM
whitdiva23 wrote:
Good Evening,

I have a few questions concerning a Maters of Accounting or an MBA. I have Bachelors of Science in Accounting and I am trying to obtain the needed hours to sit for the exam in Alabama. I have taken the GMAT twice but have low scores. However, a school offers an MBA program with a Focus on Accounting that would allow me to receive the needed hours. However, I have seen many comments/reviews that show CPA have an undergraduate/graduate degree in Accounting. My questions are:

1. If your a CPA did you do the MBA program with a focus in Accounting and still were eligible to sit for the exam?
2. Do respective employees care about not having a Masters in Accounting if your a CPA?
3. Is it bad to not have a Masters in Accounting and only a MBA with a focus in Accounting?

My only other option would be to increase my GMAT score which I am working on now but as of now the MBA with a focus in Accounting is my only option. Any and all help is appreciated. Have a blessed day.

Hello WD,

For context, my background is a Bsc. in Accounting and I'm from Jamaica (Caribbean). I'm also planning on doing a masters of accounting rather than an MBA because I really just need the credits to get the CPA license.

1. For this question, it really depends on which state you're going with, I'm registered with Iowa but I intend to get the license with New York so I was able to sit with more or less 120 credits (have 2 more papers left).

In terms of alabama it seems you need (refer to google "Accountancy Rules, Chapter 30-X-4" the first result is a pdf (I can't post links yet)):

Quote:
1. The candidate shall have completed
(i) at least 33 semester hours or equivalent quarter
hours in accounting (excluding introductory courses) at the upper
division undergraduate and/or graduate level including minimum
requirements in each of the following subject areas:
(I) Financial Accounting - 9 semester hours
(II) Auditing - 6 semester hours
(III) Taxation - 6 semester hours
(IV) Management Accounting - 3 semester hours
(V) Governmental and Not-For-Profit Accounting - 3

semester hours
(VI) Accounting Electives - 6 semester hours; and
(ii) at least three (3) semester or equivalent quarter
hours in business law, concentrating primarily on the Uniform
Commercial Code; and
(iii) at least 27 semester or equivalent quarter hours
in business courses (other than accounting courses) at the
undergraduate or graduate level from among the following subject
areas: economics; legal and social environment of business;
business law (in addition to the three hours required above);
marketing; finance; organization, group, and individual behavior;
Chapter 30-X-4 Accountancy
Supp. 12/31/15 4-4
quantitative applications in business; communication skills, and
business ethics; or
2. The candidate shall have been awarded a graduate
degree in accounting from a program that, as of the date of
granting said degree, is accredited in accounting by the American
Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), or comparable
accrediting organization recognized by the Board; or
3. The candidate shall have been awarded a graduate
degree from a program that, as of the date of granting said
degree, is accredited in business by the AACSB, or comparable
accrediting organization recognized by the Board, and completed a
course of instruction that includes all of the requirements
specified in 1. above.

2. Generally from what I know (bearing in mind I am an international candidate) having the CPA trumps having a masters almost always (as the CPA is generally seen as harder to pass and is a professional designation that requires public accounting experience etc.), most CPAs nowadays have a masters because of the (relatively) new 150 requirement.

3. Honestly I don't really think it matters, its just that a MBA is normally more expensive (and have more credits) while a masters in accounting generally gives you more accounting credits that are needed to be a licensed CPA.

3.b/ other notes: It really seems that this MBA school is a little easier to get in but you have to be careful that you are paying for a good quality degree; after you have passed the CPA your graduate degree would matter less (IMO) but you may not want to send a lot of money on a degree that is not really going to add much value to your resume and future career. E.g. A MBA may not have classes or much support re passing the CPA while a respected masters program generally provides support and has review courses that help students pass the exam.

Hope, that helps I'm planning on applying to do an online masters next year, so all the best to you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks so much ShaneMiller for your response. This really helped me understanding the difference between a MAcc and a MBA. I emailed someone at the Alabama Board of CPA's and she let me know the hours that I needed to qualify for the exam. I am in route in fulfilling those hours now. Just need to retake the GMAT and get a score over 450 and I can be accepted into my local college MAcc program and then I'm on my way to my CPA. Again thanks for your advice and I pray that you receive your CPA license soon.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.17
Send PM
whitdiva23 wrote:
Thanks so much ShaneMiller for your response. This really helped me understanding the difference between a MAcc and a MBA. I emailed someone at the Alabama Board of CPA's and she let me know the hours that I needed to qualify for the exam. I am in route in fulfilling those hours now. Just need to retake the GMAT and get a score over 450 and I can be accepted into my local college MAcc program and then I'm on my way to my CPA. Again thanks for your advice and I pray that you receive your CPA license soon.

No problem whitdiva23, glad i could help! All the best to you getting your credits up and eventually doing the CPA!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Boston U '19
GRE 1: Q50 V39
Send PM
I was also interested in this question. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
whitdiva23 wrote:
Good Evening,

I have a few questions concerning a Maters of Accounting or an MBA. I have Bachelors of Science in Accounting and I am trying to obtain the needed hours to sit for the exam in Alabama. I have taken the GMAT twice but have low scores. However, a school offers an MBA program with a Focus on Accounting that would allow me to receive the needed hours. However, I have seen many comments/reviews that show CPA have an undergraduate/graduate degree in Accounting. My questions are:

1. If your a CPA did you do the MBA program with a focus in Accounting and still were eligible to sit for the exam?
2. Do respective employees care about not having a Masters in Accounting if your a CPA?
3. Is it bad to not have a Masters in Accounting and only a MBA with a focus in Accounting?

My only other option would be to increase my GMAT score which I am working on now but as of now the MBA with a focus in Accounting is my only option. Any and all help is appreciated. Have a blessed day.

I'm just starting my search for a MAC program. I've talked to the admissions folks at a few schools. My options are limited since I have no accounting experience. I was told that a MAC will better prepare you for the CPA than an MBA. I spoke to a rep at UNC and she shared some valuable information with me about MAC v. MBA. It also depends on the state you sit for the CPA in as well. For where I want to go, and from my networks connections, I was advised to do a MAC program.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts