Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Math: Coordinate Geometry

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 17:12
Wow this is amazing
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 06:27
It seems to me that you are in a mission to make us kill the GMAT without cheating as our friends on the other side of the Pacific do. :lol:

I promise that I will not let you down

Great Job!

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 11:00
Really useful posts.. but isn't most of this taken from Wikipedia ???? I could see lots of similarities http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_(geometry), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slope-inte ... point_form etc.

am not being a spoil-sport. ..you are filtering most of the stuff so that us guys have all the comprehensive information in one place.. Only two concerns -

1) Wikipedia has lots of nonsense.. I think anyone can go and update information which results in incorrect information (the number of edits and corrections required to your posts are a testimony because the information is from other sources). The credibility of the source gets questionable.

2) I shouldn't be bothered about this, but not sure if anyone(among you) may get in trouble by quoting wikipedia or any other source without acknowledging it. People will get to know even if you change a variable or graph to some extent.

The above said, I continue being a a great fan of your posts..
Manager
Manager

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 11:46
No worries Bunuel. The work that you and others are doing is anyways commendable since it is benefitting so many (including me)... Even though questions are taken from various sources, one would not go and check even if the source were known...

cheers,
Kaptain
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 69

GMAT Tests User
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 03:35
Perfect!

It seems that GMATClubs very own Math Book will soon arrive!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 16:57
Hi guys,
something I am missing.. why do we do a minus Xc (which is 12) as below for parallel lines???? is it always the case???

Slope AB=\frac{20-7}{5-30}=-052

For the line to be parallel to AB it will have the same slope, and will pass through a given point, C(12,10). We therefore have enough information to define the line by it's equation in point-slope form form:

y=-0.52(x-12)+10 --> y=-0.52x+16.24
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3375

Kudos [?]: 24590 [0], given: 2680

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 01:21
Expert's post
defoue wrote:
Hi guys,
something I am missing.. why do we do a minus Xc (which is 12) as below for parallel lines???? is it always the case???

Slope AB=\frac{20-7}{5-30}=-052

For the line to be parallel to AB it will have the same slope, and will pass through a given point, C(12,10). We therefore have enough information to define the line by it's equation in point-slope form form:

y=-0.52(x-12)+10 --> y=-0.52x+16.24

The equation of a straight line that passes through a point P_1(x_1, y_1) with a
slope m is:

y-y_1=m(x-x_1)

We calculated the slope m=-0.52, and have the point C(12,10). substituting the values in the equation above we get: y-10=-0.52(x-12) or y=-0.52(x-12)+10 as written.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 07:55
Expert's post
jeeteshsingh wrote:
A general question on Slope....

I know the an absolute value of a slope gives us how steep the line would be. And the sign gives us whether it is a rise or a fall...

But if we have a question like:
Line A has a slope -5 and Line B has a slope 4.... Which one of them has a greater slope? How do we handle this? Does this mean we consider the absolute values and then decide or answer.. (that is Line A)... or should we consider the signs too.. (i.e. Line B)...

Please advise!

If the question is which one has the greater slope, then the answer would be: Line B, as 4>-5. As you correctly noted line A will be steeper than B, but the slope of B is positive and that of A is negative. We are comparing m1 with m2 not |m1| with |m2|.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 11:09
Great post, cleared the basics of the co-ordinate geometry.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth, Harvard, LBS, INSEAD, Columbia
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 76

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 06:47
Thank you so much for this chapter! It's very well written. :)
One suggestion though - when we're actually doing GMAT question, and there is a fraction involved in the calculation, it is more often than not better to avoid converting it into decimal form until the absolute end of the question. Two reasons:
1. In Example #1 under Parellel lines section, it is not necessary to convert the slopes 14/29 and 20/-9 into decimal form. This is because the question requires us to figure out if the slopes are equal or not, and from the fraction form itself we can figure that out.
2. Often, you will be able to cancel out some parts of your fraction in a calculation that is to take place in the next step. For example, 9/2 is x. Find 2x. Answer: 9. (too easy example, but i hope u get the point.)

Read about my GMAT prep at http://gmatting.blogspot.com/
1st Feb '11 -- Actual GMAT : 730 (Q48 V42) AWA 6.0

My Practice GMAT Scores
29th Jan '11 -- GMATPrep#2 : 700 (Q47 V38)
23rd Jan '11 -- MGMAT Practice Test #3 : 670 (Q45 V36)
19th Jan '11 -- GMATPrep#1 v.1 : 710 (Q49 V37)
15th Jan '11 -- GMATPrep#1 : 720 (Q47 V42)
11th Jan '11 -- MGMAT Practice Test #2 : 740 (Q47 V44)
6th Jan '11 -- Kaplan#2 : 620 (Q40 V35)
28th Dec '10 -- PowerPrep#1 : 670 (Q47 V35)
30th Oct '10 -- MGMAT Practice Test #1 : 660 (Q45 V35)
12th Sept '10 -- Kaplan Free Test : 610 (Q39 V37)
6th Dec '09 -- PR CAT #1 : 650 (Q44 V37)
25th Oct '09 -- GMATPrep#1 : 620 (Q44 V34)

If you feel like you're under control, you're just not going fast enough.
A goal without a plan is just a wish.
You can go higher, you can go deeper, there are no boundaries above or beneath you.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 14:25
Thanks So Much Man. A one point place for reviewing Coordinate Geometry. I have read most of these during EAMCET(Entrance Exam In A.P, India) time ;), now recollecting all, thanks to you. It would definitely take a long time to Google and learn all these, since most of the books dont cover so deep of a subject. Thanks Again and Keep on doing the great work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 08:17
Does anyone know how often the GMAT asks for anything beyond basic distance/slope? I have a hard time with these, especially rembering all the formulas, I have never seen a parabola question for example. Is it likely I would need to have this formula memorized?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 21:53
I guess this is typo mistake
Correct me if I am wrong

Your post is amazing

Welcome to my paintings website - Wholesale Art Mall.

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 05:40
Bunnel:

Suppose we have two lines ax+by+c = 0

and 2ax+2by+2c = 0 and question is- are they parallel? I know both are same lines, but do we can them parallel?

In DS question the answer of- are they parallel should be NO? or Yes.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:17
Expert's post
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Bunnel:

Suppose we have two lines ax+by+c = 0

and 2ax+2by+2c = 0 and question is- are they parallel? I know both are same lines, but do we can them parallel?

In DS question the answer of- are they parallel should be NO? or Yes.

Basically you are asking whether the line is parallel to itself. It depends how we define the word "parallel". I don't think that there is a consensus about this issue nor that this concept is tested on GMAT. So don't worry about it.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 08:56
Hi all,

Could you please explain how we can solve the below question.
If two lines are intersecting at point (10,27) and equation of one line is y=3x-3
What is the equation of another line.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 12:46
Just what i needed, thanks!
+1!

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 05:05
really helpful post
thanks
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '13

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 18:55
Seriously awesome. I think your coordinate geometry breakdown is better than MGMAT and Jeff Sackman's Total GMAT Math. This post helped me a ton. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 14:45
Quote:
1. If the slope of a line is negative, the line WILL intersect quadrants II and IV. X and Y intersects of the line with negative slope have the same sign. Therefore if X and Y intersects are positive, the line intersects quadrant I; if negative, quadrant III.

2. If the slope of line is positive, line WILL intersect quadrants I and III. Y and X intersects of the line with positive slope have opposite signs. Therefore if X intersect is negative, line intersects the quadrant II too, if positive quadrant IV.

3. Every line (but the one crosses origin OR parallel to X or Y axis OR X and Y axis themselves) crosses three quadrants. Only the line which crosses origin OR is parallel to either of axis crosses only two quadrants.

4. If a line is horizontal it has a slope of , is parallel to X-axis and crosses quadrant I and II if the Y intersect is positive OR quadrants III and IV, if the Y intersect is negative. Equation of such line is y=b, where b is y intersect.

5. If a line is vertical, the slope is not defined, line is parallel to Y-axis and crosses quadrant I and IV, if the X intersect is positive and quadrant II and III, if the X intersect is negative. Equation of such line is , where a is x-intercept.

Hi Bunuel, Small corrections here- some of the words need to be intercepts and not intersect.

Cheers!
Sarang
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2010, 14:45