Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, NYU, USC, Rutgers
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 12:10
I wanted to know what type of math background is necessary for admission to the MSF/MSFE programs in the US (mainly NY/Boston area). Is a really good score on the GMAT enough or do I need at least a minor in math? I am currently an accounting/finance major at a state school with a 3.65 gpa and will have about 2 calculus classes by the time I graduate. Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 12:29
From what i know, most MFE programs want you to submit GRE score plus GRE Math score as well.

They definitely want you to have a strong quant background.

When i attended NYU info session few yrs ago, they also said not to apply unless you already work in the financial services industry or you have math/physics major from undergrad for their fulltime program.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 13:01
Do you think like 2 years of public accounting experience (my plan) will help? Do I have to know stochastic calculus before applying or will just a few classes in statistics and calculus be sufficient :?:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Re: Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
I have about 4 year sof public accounting background.

Unless you dealt with financial services related consulting/advisory service in Big 4, I highly doubt that will qualify you in big programs.

In fact, even with such experience, i think it's a long shot.

MSF/MSFE degrees are derivatives of applied mathematics degree. You need strong math background on the transcript (at least intermediate level math courses) plus high GRE Math score.

Intern
Intern

Re: Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 13:29
Damn, that sucks. Then i'll try to go into accounting and get a masters in taxation. Thanks for your help man.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Re: Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
luisg99 wrote:
Damn, that sucks. Then i'll try to go into accounting and get a masters in taxation. Thanks for your help man.

Be advised that many MS in Taxation courses does not meet state CPA 150 hr requirement.

Make sure you check with the school.

Intern
Intern

Re: Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 03:24
I'll get the 150 hours during undergrad. If I hopefully get a job in the big 4 or some decent firm i'll try to get my masters in taxation or finance (if I'm lucky), if not I will work like 4 years then just go for an MBA but before anything else is becoming a CPA.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Bentley

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 19:26
I don't know if this is any help, but I just got accepted to Bentley University's Quantitative MSF program.. I got my undergrad in Mathematics and took some finance/econ classes as well. They have an MSF and a Quantitative MSF and are more lenient with math requirements for the basic MSF. For the Quant MSF, they wanted at least calc 3 and a calculus based stats class. I have taken calc 1-3, real analysis, linear algebra 1 and 2, a few stats courses, diff eq's, and a bunch of other rigorous math classes. My GMAT score and math background probably helped me with my acceptance since I have no work experience and no internships...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 23:11
I'm seeking for this information
Re: Math courses/background necessary for MSF/MSFE?   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2012, 23:11