Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5041 [4] , given: 164

Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If you are like many GMAT test-takers trying to bump up against that “glass ceiling” of 700, you may be frustrated that you keep studying and drilling math concepts and problems but you are still not improving on Data Sufficiency questions. Does that sound like you?

If so, there is a reason. While Data Sufficiency both involves math and appears on the Quantitative Reasoning section of the GMAT, it is not simply a math question. It’s a logic puzzle that hinges on math concepts, and your ability to embrace that subtle difference might just be the difference between reaching your goal score and falling short. For example, consider a few Data Sufficiency questions that employ Geometry principles.

Line J runs tangent to Circle A, which is centered on the origin. What is the slope of Line J?

(1) Line J runs through point (5, 5)
(2) Line J is tangent to circle A at point (0, 5)

Now, many – in fact most – test-takers will see this as “a slope problem”. And looking at statements 1 and 2 together they will see that they then have two points on line J and can therefore determine the slope, because the main “slope rule” is that the change in Y over the change in X = the slope.

But wait – the name of these questions is “Data Sufficiency”, which means essentially “when is the information enough”. The game being played is not really a test of your geometry knowledge – it’s a test of your ability to manage resources. And if you pick C here you are not managing your resources very well. Look at the data that you’re leaving on the table – in picking C you do not use circle A at all, and you don’t use the fact that line J is tangent to it at all. If you leave that much information unused you’re failing at the game of Data Sufficiency, which is in large part about packaging resources in an efficient way.

Now, as it turns out, there is a rule for tangency and slope. At the point of tangency, that line is perpendicular to the diameter of the circle. But even if you don’t know that rule – and it’s such a little-used rule that most test-takers won’t encounter it at all in their practice tests and questions, so most won’t have it top of mind on test day – the logic that C leaves too much data on the table can help you. Draw a circle and a tangent line, and see if you can draw any other lines that touch the circle at only that one point. You’ll find that you can’t – for every point on a circle there is only one line that can be drawn as a tangent. So even without the rule you can prove to yourself that with that one point you’ll know the slope. And more importantly, following that logic you should be ready to do that – the test isn’t testing you on whether you know how to calculate the slope, but rather on whether you can leverage information and logic to efficiently solve problems. Remember the all-important clause in choice C: “…but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient”. If you can do it with one statement alone, you do not get to use both, so always be on the lookout for clues that show you that you need to spend a little more time trying to squeeze more value out of each statement.

Let’s try another:

What is the perimeter of right triangle ABC?

(1) Side AB = 4
(2) Side BC = 4*sqrt 2

Again, C looks pretty obvious here, right? If side B were 4, then you’re looking directly at an isosceles right triangle. But beware – you don’t really know that this one is isosceles. You only know that it’s a right triangle. And in right triangles, a^2 + b^2 = c^2. So why couldn’t the third side be the hypotenuse, with the Pythagorean equation being: 4^2 + (4*sqrt 2)^2 = c^2. That would make c^2 = 16 + 32, so c would be the square root of 48.

And again, the logic is more important than the math – here the GMAT isn’t really testing whether you know the math, but test-takers are often proud to show the test that they did, indeed, memorize that 45-45-90 flashcard. It’s a logic game, though, and the GMAT here is tempting you to make an assumption, that with those two sides the third must fit within your quick-recall box.

Your clue here: C was a little too easy. And so let that be a lesson for you: if you can learn to play the game of Data Sufficiency that will be even more valuable to you than just the math knowledge that you bring to the test center. While content is important on the GMAT, the GMAT remains predominantly a reasoning test, so while you might like to turn your mind off and rely on short-term memory, the GMAT won’t likely reward you for doing so.

~Article written by Brian Galvin, Veritas Prep

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 08:54
Process is very important for DS. Though math knowledge is necessary it is not sufficient :) to succeed on DS.
If one has a clear process than most DS problems can be approached similar to a regular math problem.
I think the answers are B and E, respectively.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 16:51
I'm in a similar predicament as you describe Karishma. While I'm pretty good and efficient at answering all levels of PS questions, I often find myself struggling with the tough DS problems--which eats up a lot of time.

What would you suggest to someone who's comfortable with the concepts but needs to work on DS?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2416 [1] , given: 693

Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 16:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 00:15
AbhiJ wrote:
Process is very important for DS. Though math knowledge is necessary it is not sufficient :) to succeed on DS.
If one has a clear process than most DS problems can be approached similar to a regular math problem.

Good post!

I agree with Abhij on the Answers B and E. Can we get the answers?

1st question : B is suff because we need to know that where the line is tangent to the circle and A only says that it passes through this point which could or could not be on the circle.

2nd question: E we do no know what sides are being represented hypotenuse or not.

Thanks = +1 Kudos

Study from reliable sources!!

Thursdays with Ron: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Gmat Prep Questions:
CR gmatprepsc-105446.html
SC gmatprepsc-105446.html

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5041 [0], given: 164

Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 20:07
Expert's post
geno5 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

Good post!

I agree with Abhij on the Answers B and E. Can we get the answers?

1st question : B is suff because we need to know that where the line is tangent to the circle and A only says that it passes through this point which could or could not be on the circle.

2nd question: E we do no know what sides are being represented hypotenuse or not.

Yes, the answers are correct. The first one is (B) and the second one is (E)

carcass wrote:
This article says more or less the same :)

it is written by Brian Galvin

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/10/01/why-you-dont-deserve-a-700-on-your-gmat/

It is, in fact, the same article. Notice the last line of the article in the post: "~Article written by Brian Galvin, Veritas Prep"

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 06-11-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 09:55
Hi Karishma,

Request your help to clarify my doubt.For the 1st question(tangency),could you please share why the 1st statement is insufficient? Thanks..
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5041 [0], given: 164

Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 17:49
Expert's post
shivanigs wrote:
Hi Karishma,

Request your help to clarify my doubt.For the 1st question(tangency),could you please share why the 1st statement is insufficient? Thanks..

Ok, think about what is given: J is tangent to the circle. The circle is centered at the origin.
Statement 1: J runs through (5, 5)

Here are two cases where all this information is used but the slope of the tangent is different.

Attachment:
Ques4.jpg
Ques4.jpg [ 10.03 KiB | Viewed 839 times ]

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 06-11-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 02:11
Ah yes...thank you very much :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 22:28
Hi Karishma,

Can you help me to clarify why the 2nd statement is sufficient (1st question)?
since we are looking to calculate the slope and we only have one coordinate with the 2nd statement.

Thank you ..

“Never Give Up! Never, never, never, never give up. Never!”
Winston Churchill

Re: Math Knowledge is Often Insufficient on Data Sufficiency   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2012, 22:28