Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Math major in business school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Math major in business school? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 16:12
Hi! My name is FilipinoFunk from Northeast Pennsylvania :)

I am currently a sophomore math major with a minor in computer science (and possibly economics) who is very interested in getting an mba or a phd in math (maybe both) in the future.

I'm the top math student in my university and my professors are taming me for success in getting into a good graduate math program, but business school has always been in the back of my mind. I'm currently spending the summer at my university where I got a grant to do pure math research with one of the professors and will begin taking graduate level math courses during my junior year.

Does being very math-oriented hurt my chances of getting into a top ranked business school? Or should I slow down with the math and take more business courses? Or is doing well on the gmat with a good gpa and math resume sufficient?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Math major in business school? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 18:14
Being math-inclined is great for b-school; however, unlike a doctorate degree, an MBA requires basic knowledge and a lot of common sense (though it really depends on what field you enter post-MBA, which may be heavily quantitatively-oriented, or not so).

At this point, just focus on your schooling. Get as good of a GPA as possible.

You'd also want to really look at what an MBA is. Judging solely from your post, it seems to me that you're not quite understanding what an MBA is for. Perhaps the biggest difference that I can draw out is that MBA prepares you for corporate, whereas Ph.D. prepares you for academia (Ph.D. in math). An MBA is really different from Ph.D. in math and you'll have to do a bit more research on the differences and dig deeper at what you want to do with your life. There's nothing wrong with getting an MBA and a Ph.D., but it's as if you're telling people that you are getting a Bachelors in Biology and a Bachelors in Art History. Two degrees; two different things.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Math major in business school? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 03:54
FilipinoFunk wrote:

I am currently a sophomore math major with a minor in computer science (and possibly economics) who is very interested in getting an mba or a phd in math (maybe both) in the future.

I'm the top math student in my university and my professors are taming me for success in getting into a good graduate math program, but business school has always been in the back of my mind. I'm currently spending the summer at my university where I got a grant to do pure math research with one of the professors and will begin taking graduate level math courses during my junior year.

Does being very math-oriented hurt my chances of getting into a top ranked business school? Or should I slow down with the math and take more business courses? Or is doing well on the gmat with a good gpa and math resume sufficient?

FilipinoFunk,

No being maths oriented does not hurt your chances. You need to ensure that academically you are in a good position. However it is not just the academics but beyond the academics that will help you in determining your candidature.Start thinking what makes you unique and what’s that ‘hook’ that will be key to your application.

Generally most of the applicants have good 4-5 years of work experience. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in terms of work that you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you could still put in a strong set of essays.

Also make sure in your work what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc are exhibited well in your application.

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Math major in business school? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 13:18
Expert's post
[highlight]From Dr. Shel Watts, http://www.mbaadmit.com

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies[/highlight]

Hi FilipinoFunk,

With regard to your inquiry about business school admissions, unless you are applying for a program like Harvard’s 2+2, you will want to get 2-5 years of full time work experience before attending business school. Thus, what will be important for you in the MBA admissions process is your full-time work experience. Successful MBA candidates come from all parts of the academic universe—English majors, bio-medical majors, engineering majors, business majors, and math majors among others. A common thread among most of these successful MBA applicants is their great success in their early post-undergraduate careers.

Your math background may affect what job you attain upon graduation from your undergraduate institution. For business-related careers, you math background should be a plus, because you will have strong quantitative skills. Try to take steps to pick up teamwork experience and leadership experience while you are an undergrad also, as that is a plus for most business-related jobs. Then, take care with your choice of a full-time job. You will want your 2-5 years of full-time work experience to be viewed as a tremendous asset to business schools, and you will want your recommendation writers to be able to write that you are one of the stronger performers on the job.

Good for you for thinking this through while you are still an undergraduate. I am sure your forward thinking will bear great fruit!

Best wishes,
Shelly

Best wishes,
Shelly Watts
[highlight]MBA Admit.com
http://www.mbaadmit.com
Email: mbaadmit@aol.com[/highlight]

FilipinoFunk wrote:

Why pay $3700 for assistance with 1 application? Our "Early Bird" options: $925 for 1 application (Basic Package) and a Buy-1-Get-1-Set-Free at the regular Gold Package Rate. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with prices nearly 50% lower than our direct competitors.

Dr. Shel Watts is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

Re: Math major in business school?   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2011, 13:18