Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Getting candidates into great schools!
Schools:Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Send PM
Re: Math major in business school? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
[highlight]From Dr. Shel Watts, https://www.mbaadmit.com

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies[/highlight]

Hi FilipinoFunk,

With regard to your inquiry about business school admissions, unless you are applying for a program like Harvard’s 2+2, you will want to get 2-5 years of full time work experience before attending business school. Thus, what will be important for you in the MBA admissions process is your full-time work experience. Successful MBA candidates come from all parts of the academic universe—English majors, bio-medical majors, engineering majors, business majors, and math majors among others. A common thread among most of these successful MBA applicants is their great success in their early post-undergraduate careers.

Your math background may affect what job you attain upon graduation from your undergraduate institution. For business-related careers, you math background should be a plus, because you will have strong quantitative skills. Try to take steps to pick up teamwork experience and leadership experience while you are an undergrad also, as that is a plus for most business-related jobs. Then, take care with your choice of a full-time job. You will want your 2-5 years of full-time work experience to be viewed as a tremendous asset to business schools, and you will want your recommendation writers to be able to write that you are one of the stronger performers on the job.

Good for you for thinking this through while you are still an undergraduate. I am sure your forward thinking will bear great fruit!

Best wishes,
Shelly

Best wishes,
Shelly Watts
[highlight]MBA Admit.com
https://www.mbaadmit.com
Email: mbaadmit@aol.com[/highlight]

FilipinoFunk wrote:
Hi! My name is FilipinoFunk from Northeast Pennsylvania :)

I am currently a sophomore math major with a minor in computer science (and possibly economics) who is very interested in getting an mba or a phd in math (maybe both) in the future.

I'm the top math student in my university and my professors are taming me for success in getting into a good graduate math program, but business school has always been in the back of my mind. I'm currently spending the summer at my university where I got a grant to do pure math research with one of the professors and will begin taking graduate level math courses during my junior year.

Does being very math-oriented hurt my chances of getting into a top ranked business school? Or should I slow down with the math and take more business courses? Or is doing well on the gmat with a good gpa and math resume sufficient?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Math major in business school? [#permalink]