Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Math part of OG 13

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Math part of OG 13 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 23:01
Hi,

After reading 5 math books of Manhattan (for 3 times) as well as both math books of Bible, I have really problem with those math questions of OG 13 which come after No 100.

So I got astonished and surprised since I know all rules,formulas,.. mentioned in Manhattan and Bible books, even I can answer lots of those book`s questions easily but for questions after No 100 in OG 13 I get stuck.

Is it natural? Is it correct that those questions are really hard or there is something wrong with me?

I have 7 weeks left to take the exam, please advise me.

Thanks in advance
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2280 [1] , given: 31

Re: Math part of OG 13 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hamidmax wrote:
Hi,

After reading 5 math books of Manhattan (for 3 times) as well as both math books of Bible, I have really problem with those math questions of OG 13 which come after No 100.

So I got astonished and surprised since I know all rules,formulas,.. mentioned in Manhattan and Bible books, even I can answer lots of those book`s questions easily but for questions after No 100 in OG 13 I get stuck.

Is it natural? Is it correct that those questions are really hard or there is something wrong with me?

I have 7 weeks left to take the exam, please advise me.

Thanks in advance

Dear Handimax,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

To tell you the truth, what you say is not surprising in the least. A formula-based, rule-based approach will work well in easier problems, but the more challenging problems on the GMAT demand flexible out-of-the-box thinking ---- those problem will actually punish an approach that is too rule-based and formula-based. Here are a few blogs on this topic:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/mathematic ... -the-gmat/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-do- ... th-faster/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-stu ... gmat-math/
Moving to the next level of mathematical thinking is a difficult leap. That second blog will help you a little if you develop a right-brain perspective. With the more challenging problems, it becomes crucial to study the solutions carefully ----- even if you get the question correct!! You are looking for --- how does the solution "frame" the problem? what are the initial logical steps the solution takes? You have to learn to rely less on formulas and more on the logic that underlies formulas. One good practice would be to derive each formula --- i.e. show where the formula comes from, starting from the basic mathematical logic of the situation. For the harder problems on the GMAT, pretty much any formula is useless if you don't understand where it comes from.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Math part of OG 13   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2013, 10:56