Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 744 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Math Question [#permalink]
gmat2me2 wrote:
ashkg wrote:
I think if 9^0.5 is written in square root standard notation form, then that number is conisdered the positive root of that original number.

I would think there are 2 values for it and we need to consider both + and - 3 as roots of 9. So if 9^0.5 or sqrt(9) ....all are same

Perhaps I wasn't clear before. Let me elaborate.

If the square root sign is used( which is what i meant by standard notation) , it is positive. It is also called as the principal square root.

You can read more about the principal square root and its notation here.
https://mathworld.wolfram.com/SquareRoot.html
Attachments

sqrt.JPG
sqrt.JPG [ 29.24 KiB | Viewed 1454 times ]

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
I agree with jothiip, A is not a correct answer for me. It should be E as both statements lead to 2 solutions : 3 or -3
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
jothiip wrote:
17.What is hte value of q?
(1) q=(9)^1/2
(2) |q| = 3
This is a DS question. The answer is A. I disagree, since A means q can be +3 or -3. Please clarify if I am missing something.

OA as A is correct.
From i, q = 3 (if q^2=9, then q = +3, or -3. but if q=sqrt(9), q has only positive value).
from ii, q can be both +3 or -3.

so A is enogh. will clearify, if any.
Current Student
Send PM
MA, I understand the way you see it but the problem doesn't specify if the value has to be +ive or -ive so for me it can be any value, maybe there was a better way to write this question because 9^1/2 can also be equal to -3. In a test day and without the OA I would have chosen E

If 9^1/2 = 3 , how do you write the same kind of expression that is equals to -3 ? :?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
Antmavel wrote:
MA, I understand the way you see it but the problem doesn't specify if the value has to be +ive or -ive so for me it can be any value, maybe there was a better way to write this question because 9^1/2 can also be equal to -3. In a test day and without the OA I would have chosen E.

If 9^1/2 = 3 , how do you write the same kind of expression that is equals to -3 ? :?

i was looking for the post where i clearified the same concept to Honghu and Banerjee. but i could not find it.

ok anyway, SQRT (9) has only one value i.e. 3. it is not like taking square root. i showed in the above post that if x^2=9, then definetly x = - 3 or +3. but if x=9^1/2, x must equal to 3 only.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
You are thinking too much guys.

q is equal to sqrt(9) which is 3. Period. No -3, nothing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Tyr wrote:

Guys,

I can understand what you're saying, and reading mathworld.wolfram.com, I can understand where are you coming from, but since none of us would want to risk this in the actual GMAT, can any of you quote some other "reliable" places where a distinction has been made between the principle square root of a number and the non principle one, and by default only the principle (and the positive) square root has been considered?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kapslock wrote:
Tyr wrote:

Guys,

I can understand what you're saying, and reading mathworld.wolfram.com, I can understand where are you coming from, but since none of us would want to risk this in the actual GMAT, can any of you quote some other "reliable" places where a distinction has been made between the principle square root of a number and the non principle one, and by default only the principle (and the positive) square root has been considered?

Thanks

Guys, we may be thinking too much, but this is a concept which you can't ignore because it is tested at quite a few places. As you can see people are confused here.

The most reliable place for GMAT folks is to read the OG math review, section 7 , Powers and roots of number.

It clearly says that SQRTSIGN(X) is a positive number.

Editing post to show both roots of a number:
If X is a number , it can have two square roots.
1. SQRTSIGN(X) ....this is the +ve root
2. -SQRTSIGN(X)....this is the -ve root

Originally posted by ashkg on 25 Apr 2005, 16:42.
Last edited by ashkg on 25 Apr 2005, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
finally the question is very good ashkg :wink: I must admit that I understand your way of thinking and the one of MA, normally we should suppose that 9^1/2 is a positive value but I have the same doubts than Kapslock, what am I suppose to answer if I face this question at the real test ? :? It is not in fact an absolute answer because -3 can also be a potential one...

I am gonna check the OG

By the way, Tyr, your comments were useless, I don't see the interest of saying :
"You are thinking too much guys. q is equal to sqrt(9) which is 3. Period. No -3, nothing."
Please avoid this kind of post because this forum has been built to help people to understand the GMAT problems and the GMAT questions ; there is always a good reason behind each correct official answer and this is what we are looking for in this forum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Antmavel wrote:
By the way, Tyr, your comments were useless, I don't see the interest of saying :
"You are thinking too much guys. q is equal to sqrt(9) which is 3. Period. No -3, nothing."
Please avoid this kind of post because this forum has been built to help people to understand the GMAT problems and the GMAT questions ; there is always a good reason behind each correct official answer and this is what we are looking for in this forum.

What I see as a waste of time is trying to solve quadratic equation to find square root of given number. Quadratic equation of course has two roots, square root is just a single number.

Square root of a number is defined as positive number.
Yes, math defines lots of things, and no you don't want to overthink defenitions or you will end up with different geometry.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
guys in inequalities when we say if x^2 >9 then x>3 or -3 then why are we saying it is only positive in this case.....No let our fundas be consistent rather than case/problem dependent.

I would argue A is wrong in this problem

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts