Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mature white pines intercept almost all the sunlight that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Mature white pines intercept almost all the sunlight that [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2008, 04:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:37) correct 50% (02:42) wrong based on 3 sessions
Mature white pines intercept almost all the sunlight that shines on them. They leave a deep litter that dries readily and they grow to prodigious height so that, even when there are large gaps in a stand of such trees, little light reaches the forest floor. For this reason white pines cannot regenerate in their own shade. Thus, when in a dense forest a stand of trees consists of nothing but mature white pines, it is a fair bet that:

Which one of the following most logically concludes the argument?

A) the ages of the trees in the stand do not differ from each other by much more than the length of time it takes a white pine to grow to maturity

B) the land on which the stand is now growing had been cleared of all trees at the time when the first of the white pines started growing

C) competition among the trees in the stand for sunlight will soon result in some trees' dying and the stand thus becoming thinner

D) other species of trees will soon begin to colonize the stand, eventually replacing all of the white pines

E) any differences in the heights of the trees in the stand are attributable solely to differences in the ages of the trees

Please share the explanations

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2008, 20:12
A, i think
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 03:52
bigtreezl wrote:
A, i think

Kindly support with explanations !!!

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 00:09
Question Type: Inference

Summary of stimulus:
1) Mature pines intercept almost all the light that shines on them.
2) Even when there are gaps, very little light reaches the floor.
3) Pines cannot regenerate in the shade (thus, they need light)
4) Conclusion: If there are only mature white pines.....

Prephrase: They would all roughly be the same age.

A) the ages of the trees in the stand do not differ from each other by much more than the length of time it takes a white pine to grow to maturity
This matches the prephrase perfectly. Trees could not have ages that differ by a lot because the shade from the mature trees would stymie their growth.
B) the land on which the stand is now growing had been cleared of all trees at the time when the first of the white pines started growing
Eliminate: This is playing off the timing aspect. Who knows how it was in the past. Perhaps it was flat land and didn't need to be cleared.
C) competition among the trees in the stand for sunlight will soon result in some trees' dying and the stand thus becoming thinner
Eliminate: Unwarranted prediction. "will soon result in some dying"?
D) other species of trees will soon begin to colonize the stand, eventually replacing all of the white pines
Eliminate: Out of scope. "other species of trees"
E) any differences in the heights of the trees in the stand are attributable solely to differences in the ages of the trees
Eliminate: Too strong. "solely". There could be numerous factors such as rain, fire, etc..
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 07:03
I chose A as well, based on POE

That's a huge assumption no?

somerandomguy wrote:

Summary of stimulus:

This matches the prephrase perfectly. Trees could not have ages that differ by a lot because the shade from the mature trees would stymie their growth.
Eliminate: This is playing off the timing aspect. Who knows how it was in the past. Perhaps it was flat land and didn't need to be cleared.
Eliminate: Too strong. "solely". There could be numerous factors such as rain, fire, etc..
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 07:32
A for me too
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 07:33
It is A.

Mature trees won't allow the small ones to grow thus the other trees must have grown along with the mature trees, just lagging behind by less than the time it takes for a tree to grow to maturity.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 09:10
bigfernhead wrote:
I chose A as well, based on POE

That's a huge assumption no?

somerandomguy wrote:

Summary of stimulus:

Actually, no it wouldn't be a huge assumption. It's actually something a person would be able to deduct from the information. I could also draw the conclusion that they are roughly the same height. Should one tree be a lot shorter than the other ones, it wouldn't survive because it receives no light. HTH.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 13:55
Hi guys,

for me the answer is between A and B

A already said

B when the first tree started to grow, it blocks the light and nothing can grow around it

I would say B

OA?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2008, 13:03
IMO B......
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 51

Re: CR -pine trees [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 13:40
i think the answer has to be A and i dont think there is any contention between A and E.this question sucked 2:15 min

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Re: CR -pine trees   [#permalink] 07 May 2011, 13:40