Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 12:55
I have roughly 7 weeks before I plan on taking the exam. I've just begun a Manhattan Review GMAT course (so far, somewhat unimpressed) and have MGMAT books on the way from Amazon.

My question is this: I have numerous CAT practice exams available to me and I was wondering if the experienced people from GMAT Club could recommend how best to utilize them in the coming weeks. I know some CAT simulations are better than other, also. I guess my questions are: (1) How many CATs would you take a week if you have 7 weeks left? (2) Given the tests I have available to me below, is there any order you would take them in? Any other advice is welcome.

Here are the tests I have right now:

-CATPrep[dot]com Tests (4) [I find these CATs to be of very little help in teaching you why you got an answer wrong, so if I use them, it'll be more for the simulation/timing/scoring than for learning]
-GMATPrep Tests (2)
-Manhattan GMAT Tests (6)
-GMAT Club Diagnostic
-Official GMAT Guide tests (not CATs, but still useful in testing)

So, that's it. I welcome any guidance you guys have and if you could tell me the reasons behind which tests and the order you recommend them, that would be great.

-migaveli
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I believe you have not "so many" CATs, as you have mentioned in your post. GMAT Prep is the ultimate one but its used normally for two purposes. Firstly, to check where do you stand & lastly when you are a week or two away from real test (just to check you approx score, as gmat prep is very close to the real test). So now you are left with MGMAT 6 tests. The other stuff, I have no idea about. GMAT Club diagnostic is good but again its best use is at the start & also its not CAT. So in my opinion you have 6 CATs. :-D

Coming to your query, first you should complete your course or your books, whatever the case is. If you do so in 5 weeks time, then you should use your CATs in last two weeks. You may choose to take a CAT daily & resolve every question. My suggestion is to study for first 5 weeks & to be here at this forum. Then do your first GMAT Prep to check where do you stand. After that launch your CAT show for two weeks & a day or two before real test, give the final shot to GMAT prep. The result you will get in that test will be the true representative of your score. You can also try GMAT Club Test. They are extremely good for polishing quanititative skils

Best of luck!!

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 13:15
Hussain, thanks for the advice. I was thinking that taking one test a week (each Saturday, for example) is a good way to slowly track your progress and always to get the mind/body prepared for the test over the entire study period. I also have the ability to purchase other tests, if it's advisable to have more CATs to use over the next few weeks and then a lot to use in the last 2 weeks. However, I'm not sure what the best move is. Thanks for your feedback.

Anyone else have two cents to share?
Intern
Intern

Re: Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 13:46
Thanks for the invite, but I'm actually studying/taking the test in London. Much appreciated though.
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1395 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 19:33
This post received
KUDOS
I think that one per week is a good strategy unless you have more time. You'll probably want to dedicate a whole 3 hours to reviewing the test as well. The GMAT Club diagnostics are good. I'd also recommend taking maybe a free practice test from each of the test prep companies out there. Knewton, Kaplan etc. Take these with a grain of salt though, as they might be tougher in order to you know, convince people to take their classes. GMAT Prep is the closest indicator and so save this for the last weekend before your test. This way, you can figure out what your weaknesses are and will have a week to work on them.

I would have recommended the GMAT Club tests to you, but you might need to buy those. The math ones are 700+ material. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 19:43
I think taking one after reviewing your material to see your weaknesses, review weak areas, take one more, review, then just practice, practice, practice (and learn from your mistakes!).
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 06:24
Expert's post
CAT's are important, but don't let them take away from your proper studies. Too much of a good thing is still too much. The most important thing for you to do is to master the concepts involved. This is accomplished through reading and the guidebooks and practicing with questions. Make sure to time yourself and use an Error Log for question practice.

Regarding CAT's, the best is GMATPrep. A distant second are the six MGMAT online tests. To be honest, I only used those for the verbal. If you want solid math practice, go for the GMATClub Tests. These, however, are extremely difficult and exhausting, so prepare yourself!

It's also important to mimic test conditions as much as possible. Take the allowed breaks, work under timed conditions, and take the AWA. Try to find a quiet time and place to take the practice tests.

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 180

Kudos [?]: 957 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 06:33
Use CAT's to judge your performance not to hinder your preparation.
As whiplash has suggested you, one test per week will be a good blend to your preparation.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: Maximizing Effectiveness of Available CATs   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2010, 06:33