Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mayor A: In 1982 the courthouse that Roseville still needs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 78

GMAT Tests User
Mayor A: In 1982 the courthouse that Roseville still needs [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 14:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (02:46) correct 38% (01:59) wrong based on 44 sessions
Mayor A: In 1982 the courthouse that Roseville still needs would have cost 26 million. Now in 1992 the same building is costing the city close to 30 million to build. If it had been built in 1982 when I first showed how the building would relieve the overcrowding, Roseville would have saved at least 4 million by now.

Councillor B: Your own financial reports inform us that 26 million in 1982 is equivalent to 37 million in 1992. Adding that difference to the money Roseville has saved by not having to maintain an under-used courthose for a decade, we can only view the delay as a financial boom for Roseville.

A point at issue between Mayor A and Councillor B is whether

A. Roseville will build a courthourse in 1992
B. 37 million in 1992 dollars is equivalent to 26 million in 1992
C. Mayor A is responsible for the city's financial reports
D. Roseville actually needed a new courthouse between 1982 and 1992
E. Roseville would have expended 4 million dollars to maintain a courthouse from 1982 to 1992

Veritas has borrowed this from another Test prep company. Why is D correct? If I say that not having a car in college years was a financial boon for me, does it mean that I didn't need the car? May be I needed the car but somehow, later on by chance, not having a car turned out to be a good thing.

Secondly, Councillor B doesn't say that the court house is not needed.
Not sure.

Experts - any thoughts?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mayor A: In 1982 the courthouse that Roseville still needs w [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 14:48
A. Roseville will build a courthourse in 1992 >> Wrong

B. 37 million in 1992 dollars is equivalent to 26 million in 1992 >> Both agree to this. Wrong

C. Mayor A is responsible for the city's financial reports >> Never said anything about who is responsible. Wrong

D. Roseville actually needed a new courthouse between 1982 and 1992 >> Correct.

Mayor A: supports his argument with 'how the building would relieve the overcrowding'
Mayor B: supports his argument with 'by not having to maintain an under-used courthose for a decade'

Looks like both are arguing about whether the courthouse was actually needed.

E. Roseville would have expended 4 million dollars to maintain a courthouse from 1982 to 1992 >> The town would have spent some money to maintain the building. But how much? We dont know. Wrong.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 78

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mayor A: In 1982 the courthouse that Roseville still needs w [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 14:57
I think that there is a bit of a difference in saying "D. Mayor B: supports his argument with 'by not having to maintain an under-used courthose for a decade'" and "not needing a courthouse". In fact Mayor B's statemetn is that "Adding that difference to the money Roseville has saved by not having to maintain an under-used courthose for a decade" - we cannot get rid of the main clause. The guy is talking about money not spent on financial maintenance.

If I say that I didn't have to maintain my car. Does it mean that I didn't need it? I don't think so. I am just talking about the maintenance of a car.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Re: Mayor A: In 1982 the courthouse that Roseville still needs w [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 15:16
voodoochild wrote:
Mayor A: In 1982 the courthouse that Roseville still needs would have cost 26 million. Now in 1992 the same building is costing the city close to 30 million to build. If it had been built in 1982 when I first showed how the building would relieve the overcrowding, Roseville would have saved at least 4 million by now.

Councillor B: Your own financial reports inform us that 26 million in 1982 is equivalent to 37 million in 1992. Adding that difference to the money Roseville has saved by not having to maintain an under-used courthose for a decade, we can only view the delay as a financial boom for Roseville.

A point at issue between Mayor A and Councillor B is whether

A. Roseville will build a courthourse in 1992
B. 37 million in 1992 dollars is equivalent to 26 million in 1992
C. Mayor A is responsible for the city's financial reports
D. Roseville actually needed a new courthouse between 1982 and 1992
E. Roseville would have expended 4 million dollars to maintain a courthouse from 1982 to 1992

Veritas has borrowed this from another Test prep company. Why is D correct? If I say that not having a car in college years was a financial boon for me, does it mean that I didn't need the car? May be I needed the car but somehow, later on by chance, not having a car turned out to be a good thing.

Secondly, Councillor B doesn't say that the court house is not needed.
Not sure.

Experts - any thoughts?

I agree with the OA here and correct answer should be D because the issue here is not time of value of money but whether we needed the courthouse for a decade or not!

Time value of money is not being debated in the argument, thus we can eliminate rest of the answers.

Quote:
I think that there is a bit of a difference in saying "D. Mayor B: supports his argument with 'by not having to maintain an under-used courthose for a decade'" and "not needing a courthouse". In fact Mayor B's statemetn is that "Adding that difference to the money Roseville has saved by not having to maintain an under-used courthose for a decade" - we cannot get rid of the main clause. The guy is talking about money not spent on financial maintenance.

If I say that I didn't have to maintain my car. Does it mean that I didn't need it? I don't think so. I am just talking about the maintenance of a car.

Here the discussion is NOT money BUT utilization.

Taking your car example.

If lets say you bought a BMW(i love beamers) in college in 1982 for 100 dollars(i wish :wink: ) and didnt actually use but kept on paying maintenance for 4 years. it totally cost you 160 at the end of 4 years.

Now if you didnt buy a car at that time but bought one, when you actually needed i.e after college for 120 .. which is a better deal?

I dont think you will argue that i should have bought it in 1982 and i would have saved 20 bucks, instead you would argue that did i need a car at that time plus what about the maintenance cost i will end up paying.

Hope this helps :)
Re: Mayor A: In 1982 the courthouse that Roseville still needs w   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2012, 15:16