Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 23:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mayor Delmont s critics complain about the jobs that were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Mayor Delmont s critics complain about the jobs that were [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 11:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont’s leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?
A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure.
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.

I do not agree with the OA for this. I went for A, can anyone explain why A might be wrong or right.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mayor Delmont's [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 12:22
x97agarwal wrote:
Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont’s leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?
A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure.
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.

I do not agree with the OA for this. I went for A, can anyone explain why A might be wrong or right.

This one is sort of strange. I would guess E, just because I think it's the least bad choice.

I think A might be wrong because the argument is that the average paycheck has been steadily getting bigger (throughout his term). Under A, In the first years prior to the last 3 paychecks could've plummeted 90% but since then have grown 10% (from that much lower base), in which case it would be an overall decrease in paychecks.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Mayor Delmont's [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 12:30
I think Answer will be C.

Here are argument talks about 2 fold. Critics claim that there is loss in job but the fact that not only number of jobs increased but also the average pay increased. Keeping in mind of both scenario, we might assume that some jobs created were temporary and might again eliminated
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mayor Delmont's [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 17:16

D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide. - BEST ANSWER?? If the jobs eliminated had roughly the same average paycheck, then post elimination, the average paycheck for the jobs look much healthier?? :?
Re: CR: Mayor Delmont's   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2008, 17:16