Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mayor Delmonte

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 732 [0], given: 40

Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 01:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (03:35) wrong based on 2 sessions
Please expain with your reasons.

Attachment:
Delmonte.JPG
Delmonte.JPG [ 87.28 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 07:34
Argument = Mayor caused more new jobs than old, and new jobs had higher average pay than previous job, therefore the pay average has increased during the Mayor's tenure.

This one is tricky.

A) This is a bit confusing since it talks about 3 years but we don't really know how long the Mayor has been in office. Furthermore it seems to imply that pay associated with the Mayor is lower. The confusion and implication don't look good.

B) This suggests that the purported increase in pay might be attributed to a natural increase of pay rather than the Mayor's efforts. Some of his fans might say that he's the reason the 10 year low ended... but that's not substantiated. Altogether it doesn't do much because it doesn't mention growth (for all we know it's STILL at a 10 year low and the advert is just propaganda). I am tempted by this one but I just can't see it supporting the argument that well.

C) This is a bit of a "so what" answer. Nothing to do with growth of pay.

D) I like D the best but I am really not too sure. At least with this answer there's a bit of mathematical theory involved. If the jobs that are disappearing were all close the general average then it implies that the job loss is NOT affecting the average... but it still says nothing to if the new jobs are actually helping it go up or down. This at least provides a basis on which to defend against the notion that "job loss is hurting our average."

E) Comparing the city to suburbs seems out of scope.

Very curious to see OA. My confidence in D) is like 60% :?
It should be fun to retroactively reason afterwards if it's not D.

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 20

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 08:42
I would go with A.

The conclusion states that "average paycheck has been getting steadily bigger". Thus, A provides a comparison of the mayor's earlier tenure pays and after 3 years, the paychecks have steadily increased.

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Director
Director

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 03:05
Anyone want to try with reasoning?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 76

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 12:57
A. We don't know how long Mayor Delmont has been in office (we know he is still in office). It seems to support the argument, but mentioning 'earlier in Mayor Delmont's tenure' casts doubts on the assertions of the advertisement. What if those jobs created at that time had a really low pay?
B. It may be a reason why it was easy to increase the average pay, but it doesn't support the argument too strongly.
C. Doesn't support the argument at all.
D. It seems to support the argument of the advertisement. If the jobs eliminated had an average pay, and meantime the new created jobs have higher than average pay, then the average paycheck in the city has been getting bigger. This new information is consistent with the argument.
E. Compares two different subjects.

Between the options, D is the one that most strengthens the argument in the advertisement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 16

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 22:32
Although choice A does not sound good as well, I would go with it.

Never give up,,,

Director
Director

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 22:39
OK guys, the debatable OA is:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 16

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 12:54
C can not be OA, it is actually weakening the argument of political ad.

Never give up,,,

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 11:20
hey ykaiim, can we also get the OA reasoning from the source?....definitely a weird one.
Director
Director

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 19:14
Sorry Seekmba,

I am affraid I can. This is from online tests from http://www.exampep.com/gmat/

This is the oly CR question in test1 which irritated me. But, I dont recommend this site for free tests.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Mayor Delmonte [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 21:52
What about B??

The argument says that critics say jobs were lost but in next line not only plugs this gap by stating more jobs were created then eliminated but also open a new idea about average pay increase. The argument also says Avg pay for new jobs increased every year since Delmonte took the office. so his tenure is successful.

Although all answers look poor ,only B says that pay was 10yr low when he took office and it strengthens claim by reinforcing that new job created raised pay yoy so he is definitely successful.
Re: Mayor Delmonte   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2010, 21:52