Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Strengthenx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [83]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [34]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO ...B

If the non essential services have substancial funds then certainly the schools can dip into the non-essential funds instead of reducing any of the essential services.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Og11 Cr-9
Mayor : In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding and each time school officials complained that the cuts would force them to reduce expenditures for essential services. But each time, only expenditures for nonessential services were actually reduced. So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services.

Which of the following , if true, most strongly supports the mayor's conclusion?

(A)The city's schools have always provided essential services as efficiently as they have provided non essential services.
(B) Sufficient funds are currently available to allow the city's schools to provide some nonessential services.
(C) Price estimates quoted to the city's schools for the provision of non essential services have not increased substantially since the most recent school-funding cut.
(D) Few influential city administrators support the funding of costly nonessential services in the city's schools.
(E) The city's school officials rarely exaggerate the potential impact of the threatened funding cuts.

I post this question for asking another thing

Do you guys think that the answer choice C can be an assumption for this argument?

I am confused b/w assumption and strength :( .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Answer is B.

Mayor's conclusion is - So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services. Thus cuts can be made from non-essential expenditures. Thus it implies that still there are sufficient funds available for non-essentials services.

Thus Mayor's conclusion is solely based on the fact that there are still sufficient funds for non-essential services which can be cut without affecting essentials services.

OA please. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
lys8207 wrote:
Og11 Cr-9
Mayor : In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding and each time school officials complained that the cuts would force them to reduce expenditures for essential services. But each time, only expenditures for nonessential services were actually reduced. So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services.

Which of the following , if true, most strongly supports the mayor's conclusion?

(A)The city's schools have always provided essential services as efficiently as they have provided non essential services.
(B) Sufficient funds are currently available to allow the city's schools to provide some nonessential services.
(C) Price estimates quoted to the city's schools for the provision of non essential services have not increased substantially since the most recent school-funding cut.
(D) Few influential city administrators support the funding of costly nonessential services in the city's schools.
(E) The city's school officials rarely exaggerate the potential impact of the threatened funding cuts.

Do you guys think that the answer choice C can be an assumption for this argument?

Answer is B....

For strengthing question.... just concentrate on the Conclusion.... "So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services." and see which statement can make this conclusion more strong! Even u wld choose B..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [4]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
lys8207 wrote:

PowerScore states that Assumption is an unstated premise. Typically in question stimulus that require you to identify an assumption, premise will discuss about something, but the conclusion will take you to an entirely different arena. There is something stated and there is something totally new that is concluded. An assumption will help you bridge that gap.

Strengthen or weaken questions on the other hand will attack the conclusion. Typically they are unstated premises as well, but most often they are additional by nature. Identifying an answer option that goes hand-in-hand with the given premises in the stimulus is very easy to identify, so the test-makers will often try to bring in new or extra information that will have a direct impact on the conclusion, that is what makes the correct answers as additional premises. However, it does not mean that assumptions cannot strengthen.

The answer options will be formulated based on the question stem posed, so you need not worry about what is not asked. There is also not sufficient time to ponder over such aspects of the question. Just stay focussed on what is asked and try and eliminate what seems wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
ans B.

the conclusion "So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services." can be strengthened,if there are extra funds left for NON-essential services.in that case,further cut to school fundings can be implemented,and "only expenditures for NON-essential services will be reduced" as it has been done for the pst 5 yrs by school officials.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
B it is.

Though I I did not do it, but you can try this personalize method. Assume yourself as a mayor and if given the evidence that there are sufficient funds for non-essential services, wouldn't you make the same argument?
Just an idea, if it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I agree with the correct answer choice to be B.
My question is more about handling the other choice, E. It says that school officials don't exaggerate the potential impact of cuts. This is contrary to the passage that says that the officials complained of cuts in essential services. Such cuts were never required. Only cuts in non-essential services were taken up. This clearly shows that the officials were not sure of their claims and were making false claims of their abilities. The OG mentions that this point weakens the argument. Does it weaken the argument by pointing a flaw or questioning the premise of the argument? Kindly explain how does it weaken.
I know that we could easily take this option out but was curious to know the reasoning nonetheless.
Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
I am worrying about the mix questions. Until now, for a mixing question, I will subjectively choose one type of the question, and deal with that type. Normally, the type will be chosen based on what is stated in the question.

I stop worrying about mixing questions now because mix questions are rare.
Even if knowing that a question is a mixing one will help me to find the right answer in an easier way, I will not go for a complex method.

The advice is just to choose the option that best fits the question and the passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [3]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
lys8207 wrote:
Og11 Cr-9

Hiegmat,

Well i did attend a session of yours on pre-thinking,and really liked it.

Using the learning of the sessions , i decided to come up for an assumption for every question type ( esp Strengthener and Weakener) and its really working though i am not 100% correct always. But most of the answers that i mark correct are because i was able to come up with an assumption in each question. PLus it gives me a good practice if that question asked for assumption.

When i tried to attempt this question i was taken back and wanted to correct at this stage of learning my process of making assumption in an argument.

So let me try to explain how i attempted this question, which might help you understand the gap in my approach.

Argument Evaluation:
City has cut funding for a certain school ( every year in the past 5 years)
Every time school management raised a alarm stating that this cut in funding would force them to reduce expenses for essential services.

However its was observed that each time funding was cut , they did not reduce the expenses for essential services but rather reduced expenses for non -essential services .

On this basis author is concluding that hey school management can take another cut in funding without reducing the expenses for essential services.

So main conclusion is School officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services.

falsification Conditions:
Under which circumstances the management cannot implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services."
Given that
In past every time cut was enforced they cut down their expenses for non essential services

What if they don't have any further scope of reducing the expenses for non essential services if they have to provide these services effectively.

So assumption is : Hey Schools still have some scope of cutting revenues for non-essential services to provide them effectively.

Also,

Lets say each time in last 5 years there was cut in funding , school required the services providers of non essential services to lower the prices. And this helped them to implement the cut each time without effecting the essential services.

Now this time since service providers have already been lowering the prices for last 5 years, they will not be further able to lower the prices for services of essential services.
This breaks the conclusion.
So assumption is ' the cost of providing non-essential services can be lowered to provide for these services effectively"

So my question is
Can we call Option C a assumption. ( i am not sure) but i think no.

Price estimates quoted to the city's schools for the provision of non essential services have not increased substantially since the most recent school-funding cut.

even if the cost of providing services haven't increased , we don't know if the school has the budget even to pay for the prices that were in effect since last cut.

I am not convinced by reasoning.
Can you help me resolve my ambiguity.

Probus
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Probus wrote:
Hiegmat,

Well i did attend a session of yours on pre-thinking,and really liked it.

Using the learning of the sessions , i decided to come up for an assumption for every question type ( esp Strengthener and Weakener) and its really working though i am not 100% correct always. But most of the answers that i mark correct are because i was able to come up with an assumption in each question. PLus it gives me a good practice if that question asked for assumption.

When i tried to attempt this question i was taken back and wanted to correct at this stage of learning my process of making assumption in an argument.

So let me try to explain how i attempted this question, which might help you understand the gap in my approach.

Argument Evaluation:
City has cut funding for a certain school ( every year in the past 5 years)
Every time school management raised a alarm stating that this cut in funding would force them to reduce expenses for essential services.

However its was observed that each time funding was cut , they did not reduce the expenses for essential services but rather reduced expenses for non -essential services .

On this basis author is concluding that hey school management can take another cut in funding without reducing the expenses for essential services.

So main conclusion is School officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services.

falsification Conditions:
Under which circumstances the management cannot implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services."
Given that
In past every time cut was enforced they cut down their expenses for non essential services

What if they don't have any further scope of reducing the expenses for non essential services if they have to provide these services effectively.

So assumption is : Hey Schools still have some scope of cutting revenues for non-essential services to provide them effectively.

Also,

Lets say each time in last 5 years there was cut in funding , school required the services providers of non essential services to lower the prices. And this helped them to implement the cut each time without effecting the essential services.

Now this time since service providers have already been lowering the prices for last 5 years, they will not be further able to lower the prices for services of essential services.
This breaks the conclusion.
So assumption is ' the cost of providing non-essential services can be lowered to provide for these services effectively"

So my question is
Can we call Option C a assumption. ( i am not sure) but i think no.

Price estimates quoted to the city's schools for the provision of non essential services have not increased substantially since the most recent school-funding cut.

even if the cost of providing services haven't increased , we don't know if the school has the budget even to pay for the prices that were in effect since last cut.

I am not convinced by reasoning.
Can you help me resolve my ambiguity.

Probus

Hi Probus ,

Not sure whether it would help you or not, but option C is not an assumption.
Two reasons for that:
i) had it been an assumption, it would have been a NECESSARY premise thus in a way strengthener to the argument and we can't have two strengtheners in same question.

ii) Actually this option says that the funds QUOTED for the NE ( Non essential) services are relatively same. This means that they are same from last year. We do not know what the prices were last year. So nothing much can be said.

Rather I would go on saying that option C could QUALIFY as possible weakener. It's because we know from the statements that ALREADY many non-essential services are cut off and if the funds remain same and there is no INCREASE in their funds and the staff is inclined to cut off SOME services, it's likely they cut off ESSENTIAL services.

How I say this?
Negating option C says that NE services quotation has increased substantially. This simply means that they could cut off NE services. So in a way NEGATION STRENGTHENS the argument.
So option C as is would QUALIFY as a possible weakener, albeit feeble weakener.

Regards,
Rishav
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos