Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 565 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

56% (02:06) correct 44% (02:45) wrong based on 40 sessions
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, І am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.
Citizens' group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.
The argument by the citizens group relies on which one of the following assumptions?
(A) Plainsville presently has no major highways running through it.
(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway.
(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business.
(D) The mayor is required to get approval for all tax revenue allocation plans from the city council.
(E) Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
soon

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 22:25
I will go with B. Please let me know if its correct before I write my explanation. Thanks
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 62

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 22:35
Expert's post
Welcome to GMATCLUB.
Once I post the OA, the explanations from others will be OA driven.
Let others learn from your thinking as well.
I will let the correct answer float in the thread only after getting the viewpoint of others.

Thank you.
To

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 4

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 01:40
Hi Marcab,

Let me see if I can help. Here is my reasoning.

Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.
Citizens' group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.

So, Mayor suggests a highway to help the economy. Citizens group suggests a business park would be a better bet as it will attract twice the amount of new business.

The argument by the citizens group relies on which one of the following assumptions?

OK. So what is an assumption that the citizens have made. Their argument is all about which is better in terms of the economy (and specifically that the business park would bring in twice the new business), so that could be an area to watch out for.

(A) Plainsville presently has no major highways running through it. No. This is irrelevant to whether a highway or business park would be better
(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway.No, this is not an assumption.The citizens are implying this (and hence suggesting the mayor has an ulterior motive), but it is not assumed
(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business. This looks better. The mayor wants a highway to improve the economy in general. If it could be shown to have lots of other benefits other than new business, that might make it a better choice than the business park. For the citizens group's opinion to be correct, this would have to be assumed.
(D) The mayor is required to get approval for all tax revenue allocation plans from the city council. Nope. Irrelevant to the relative merits of business park/highway.
(E) Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built. No. The residents are not saying that there is no benefit from the highway. Just that there is more benefit from the business park

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 02:05
Expert's post
Hii James.
Thanks for the reply.
Citizen's conclusion: The Mayor must have interests other than our economy in mind.

If we negate C, we get: The new highway would have benefits for plainsvile other than attracting new businesses.
Negated C doesn't destroys the argument.
Am I missing something?

Rules For Posting

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 02:40
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Marcab,

Let me see if I can help. Here is my reasoning.

Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.

So, Mayor suggests a highway to help the economy. Citizens group suggests a business park would be a better bet as it will attract twice the amount of new business.

OK. So what is an assumption that the citizens have made. Their argument is all about which is better in terms of the economy (and specifically that the business park would bring in twice the new business), so that could be an area to watch out for.

(A) Plainsville presently has no major highways running through it. No. This is irrelevant to whether a highway or business park would be better
(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway.No, this is not an assumption.The citizens are implying this (and hence suggesting the mayor has an ulterior motive), but it is not assumed
(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business. This looks better. The mayor wants a highway to improve the economy in general. If it could be shown to have lots of other benefits other than new business, that might make it a better choice than the business park. For the citizens group's opinion to be correct, this would have to be assumed.
(D) The mayor is required to get approval for all tax revenue allocation plans from the city council. Nope. Irrelevant to the relative merits of business park/highway.
(E) Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built. No. The residents are not saying that there is no benefit from the highway. Just that there is more benefit from the business park

Hi Gmat plumber

I dont think C is the correct anwer. Why I say this because....

Its mentioned in the argument..."Citizens' group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind" If its clearly mentioned that there are other interests involved than how can option C be the correct answer , which says " The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business."
I mean these are two contradictory statements..an assumption should help the conclusion to validate it.

IMO when the argument says the mayor has interests other than economy and conclusion states that a business park is a better option, Than assumption should be both can not present a better solution....as mentioned in one of the OG question of smoke stacks
OR there must be some vested interest of mayor.
OR There are many highways already present and are not helping much to economy, one more would not extend any further help.

There may be other assumptions also......
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 02:56
Because citizen group says "You must have interests other than our economy in mind."
This to me means that there was an assumption that both parties knew that the Bussiness Park is better for the economy.

Therefore, the group asked this question "If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would."

I could be wrong though. If we negate answer choice B then we get "The mayor doesn't accept that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway". If this was true, then Citizen group's argument changes - to prove that business park will attract more businesses.

Option C - analysed
The focus is attracting more businesses.
Mayor - Highway will attract businesses
Citizens - Business park will attract twice the businesses than Highway would.

Again the sentence by Citizen group "You must have interests other than our economy in mind." tells me the opposite of answer choice C (The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business.). That is, according to the group, there are other benefits that Highway will bring to Plainsville

Please feel free to comment.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 02:15
Expert's post
I was quite astonished to find
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
as the answer.
Somehow I am still unsatisfied with the answer.

Rules For Posting

VP
VP

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 05:14
Marcab wrote:
I was quite astonished to find
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
as the answer.
Somehow I am still unsatisfied with the answer.

Hi Marcab
In one of the explanations i found that one of the probable assumptions was that both parties jnew that business park was profitable... I think thats correct. Why I say because the character that opposes the stand of Mayor with full authority says "If you were interested in the economy" that means he is giving us the hint that Mayor is knowing about the benefits of the business park.

Though i have not come across any such official assumption question with such answer...
Better we as Karishma to analyze.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Bocconi '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.87

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 05:47
(A) Plainsville presently has no major highways running through it. out of scope
(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway. If the major knows that the business park would be more beneficial to the economy, but still proposes the new highway, there must be some other interest that draws him to this choice.
(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business. neither would have the business park, so nope.
(D) The mayor is required to get approval for all tax revenue allocation plans from the city council. out of scope, we can't infer that from the text
(E) Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built. out of scope, we can't infer that from the text
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 23

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 06:45
sjai8 wrote:
Because citizen group says "You must have interests other than our economy in mind."
This to me means that there was an assumption that both parties knew that the Bussiness Park is better for the economy.

Therefore, the group asked this question "If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would."

I could be wrong though. If we negate answer choice B then we get "The mayor doesn't accept that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway". If this was true, then Citizen group's argument changes - to prove that business park will attract more businesses.

Option C - analysed

Again the sentence by Citizen group "You must have interests other than our economy in mind." tells me the opposite of answer choice C (The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business.). That is, according to the group, there are other benefits that Highway will bring to Plainsville

(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway.

I negated in these way: The mayor accepts that a new business park would not bring in more new business than would the new highway

But above negation still did not destroy the argument properly.
any explanation from expert?

Thriving for CHANGE

VP
VP

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 07:45
Aristocrat wrote:
sjai8 wrote:

Option C - analysed

I negated in these way: The mayor accepts that a new business park would not bring in more new business than would the new highway

But above negation still did not destroy the argument properly.
any explanation from expert?

Though I am no expert but will take a dig.
pls note that we have to find the assumption of Citizen group's argument. hence Negated b option should affect the conclusion drawn by citizen group.

Conclusion of group; The Business park will bring twice revenue than the highway.
Now using your negation statement of B "I negated in these way: The mayor accepts that a new business park would not bring in more new business than would the new highway " that is to say the mayor believes that the new business park would not bring in more business than new highway hence it affects the conclusion of citizen's group that business park will bring in twice revenue when compared to highway.

Hope that helps!!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Economy and Tax Revenues [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 20:51
What is the correct conclusion from the citizen's group?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 22:53
Marcab wrote:
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, І am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.
(A) Plainsville presently has no major highways running through it. "The citizens' argument does not assume that there are no major highways in Plainsville. They are just concerned with the one under question"
(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway. The citizens' conclusion is that the mayor does not have the best of interests in the economy--->they base their conclusion on the premise (they hold as or assume to be true) that the B park would bring in more revenue---> They assume that the mayor considers the premise valid
(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business. "Other benefits" is pretty vague. Had this been other economic benefits, we could have considered this answer choice as the mayor's intentions on the economy is questioned by the citizens.
(D) The mayor is required to get approval for all tax revenue allocation plans from the city council. The citizens' argument does not imply anything about tax approvals.
(E) Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built. The cit
izens agree that the highway will help the economy but are certain that the business park will to do a better job

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
soon

Hi,

I think the answer is B. I have provided the logic that I have used.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 2
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 02:31
Quote:
(A) Plainsville presently has no major highways running through it. -wrong. out of scope.
(B) The mayor accepts that a new business park would bring in more new business than would the new highway. right. - RIGHT-negate it this way'The mayor accepts that a new business park wouldn't bring in more business than would the new high way'>>>then, the citizen group can't say the mayor has other interests, because the mayor disagree that a new park would bring more business
(C) The new highway would have no benefits for Plainsville other than attracting new business. -wrong. a new business park and the new high way are all about attracting new business. No comparison of other benefits is talked in the stimulus.[/b](D) The mayor is required to get approval for all tax revenue allocation plans from the city council. - out of scope.
(E) Plainsville's economy will not be helped unless a new business park of the sort envisioned by the citizens' group is built. - a new business park and a new high way both help the economy. According to the citizen, the Plainsville's economy will be helped more by a new business park.
VP
VP
Followers: 202

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 22:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2014, 22:54