Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mayor of town T decided to lower the sales tax in order to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Mayor of town T decided to lower the sales tax in order to [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 07:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
13. Mayor of town T decided to lower the sales tax in order to boost the sales volume and therefore increase the budget by eventually receiving more sales tax as the result of the increased sales volume. The mayor wants to follow the example of town J, where such an experiment helped increase the budget twice in a three year term.
Which of the following statements is the best proof that the opponents to the mayor's proposal can use in order to persuade the population of town T not to support this decision?

a. Town J is located very close to the borders of other three states, which causes residents of other states to shop in town J, as the sales taxes in those other states are higher than in this state. Town T is located far from any state border.
b. Town T is not big enough to make the difference of the sales tax received to budget positive as the result of the proposed change.
c. Town J has many more industrial plants that purchase raw materials from the town's mines.
d. This kind of an experiment did not work in any other of the six towns that lowered the sales tax.
e. The mayor is corrupted by several groups of residents of town T. These groups are highly interested in lowering the sales tax as the move will make them much richer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 07:40
I'll go with A, but not 100% sure

Who is John Galt?

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 07:54
I think it is A as well

We are comparing town T with town J and in order to make things work the same in town T as in town J those towns have to be similar. in choice A we see that town J is different from town T and thus is a correct choice

A says that town J has borders with other states that have higher taxes, so everyone comes to town J from those states and that is how they get higher profits... Town T, on the other hand, is not said to have borders and is not in the same position, so we can conclude that based on such fact that sales tax reduction might not work, thus should not be supported.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 08:54
Between A and D, I go with A.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 09:29
"E" it is.
Option "E" has the argument which can convince the population to oppose the Mayor.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 11:29
I feel it should be A.
The residents should be happy because of lowering of tax.Why should they be bothered about the volume of sales.Hence i'm eliminating the other choices.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 11:30
Oops...I meant E.
The above explanation holds good in support of E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 11:41
I think it should be A.

From my point of view E is wrong, because even when certain group of people becomes richer, it does not necessarily mean that this step won't be beneficial for the town.

What is the OA
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 13:10
I believe E can not be the answer. People who have read Arco LSAT may be knowing the term "Ad Hominem" (Attacking the person instead of the problem).

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 14:53
It should be D.

It worked in one town but it failed in 6 towns.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 18:58
agree with u2lover's expln. should be A.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2006, 20:57
Will go with A.

The mayor is proposing that a reduced sales tax will increase the sales.
B is a close choice but when you look carefully, the population of the town doesnot matter. Increased sales can be due to various other reasons like people buying more, people from other town buying.

the former is illustrated in A. basically it attributes the increased sales to the buying of goods by people from other states. Hence comparing town T with town J would be fallcious as the circumstances are different
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2006, 01:59
What is wrong with D..
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Club CR Series #13: Mayor of Town T [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2006, 05:07
A is the best choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2006, 10:42
I will go with B.

the only thing that matters to people is how the change in sales tax would affect the budget in their own state. whatever happenned in other state may or may not happen in this particular state. So, if the state is not big enough, the increase in sales might not be sufficient enough to raise more number of sales tax dollars. This would defeat the purpose.\

what is OA guys?

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2006, 12:53
A, I think.

We need to find something dissimilar b/w the towns T and J to weaken this argument. Only A and C stand.

Since C mentions industrial plants within town, I would not expect a significant rise in sales volume from here... So A.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Club CR Series #13: Mayor of Town T [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2006, 13:10
TestWriter wrote:
13. Mayor of town T decided to lower the sales tax in order to boost the sales volume and therefore increase the budget by eventually receiving more sales tax as the result of the increased sales volume. The mayor wants to follow the example of town J, where such an experiment helped increase the budget twice in a three year term.

Which of the following statements is the best proof that the opponents to the mayor's proposal can use in order to persuade the population of town T not to support this decision?

a. Town J is located very close to the borders of other three states, which causes residents of other states to shop in town J, as the sales taxes in those other states are higher than in this state. Town T is located far from any state border.

b. Town T is not big enough to make the difference of the sales tax received to budget positive as the result of the proposed change.

the strong reason not to persue the same plan as the town J has would be B. but the question is asking for a proof, which is A not B. B is just an opinion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2006, 16:24
town T should be able to generate more number of sales tax dollar on its own. If shoppers from other states or towns also shop in town T as a result, that would increase the tax revenue for town T. But the policy can't be formulated/negated based on the shoppers of other states. That's why I think the answer should be B.

can we now have the OA and OE please?

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2006, 23:51
The correct answer is A.
a. Provides a reasonable explanation of why the experiment worked in town J and why it would not work in town T.
b. Does not provide solid data, only makes an assumption.
c. Out of scope.
d. Does not provide sufficient information about those six other towns to enable clear comparison of town T with those six towns.
e. Out of scope.
  [#permalink] 06 Jul 2006, 23:51