Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 18:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

93% (02:05) correct 7% (02:05) wrong based on 150 sessions
Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of flight departures each day.
Mayville Airport experiences 26 departure delays per 100 flights, while Newcomb Airport
experiences 20 departure delays per 100 flights. When delays caused by bad weather are
disregarded, Mayville Airport has 5 fewer departure delays per 100 flights than Newcomb
Airport does. Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information given
above?
A) Bad weather causes a greater number of departure delays at Mayville Airport than at
Newcomb Airport.
b) On average, the weather at Mayville Airport is worse than it is at Newcomb Airport.
c) Mechanical problems cause a greater number of delays at Newcomb Airport than at
Mayville Airport.
d) The fleet of airplanes leaving from Newcomb Airport is better equipped to handle inclement
weather than the fleet of airplanes leaving from Mayville Airport.
e) Mayville Airport experiences a greater number of arrival delays per 100 flights than
Newcomb Airport does.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Main CR Qs link - Main link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 18

Re: CR - Conclusion - # 1 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 00:39
This post received
KUDOS
at first C is more lucrative answer to me. but it is a conclusion question. so conclusion must be within the scope of the stimulus. then i took A

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Conclusion - # 1 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 06:06
mohankumarbd wrote:
Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of flight departures each day.
Mayville Airport experiences 26 departure delays per 100 flights, while Newcomb Airport
experiences 20 departure delays per 100 flights. When delays caused by bad weather are
disregarded, Mayville Airport has 5 fewer departure delays per 100 flights than Newcomb
Airport does. Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information given
above?
A) Bad weather causes a greater number of departure delays at Mayville Airport than at
Newcomb Airport.
b) On average, the weather at Mayville Airport is worse than it is at Newcomb Airport.
c) Mechanical problems cause a greater number of delays at Newcomb Airport than at
Mayville Airport.
d) The fleet of airplanes leaving from Newcomb Airport is better equipped to handle inclement
weather than the fleet of airplanes leaving from Mayville Airport.
e) Mayville Airport experiences a greater number of arrival delays per 100 flights than
Newcomb Airport does.

Main CR Qs link - Main link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

Ans Exp:

As this comes under must be true or proven question type we must able to point out or prove the answer from from the question so let's find out

As the question is comparing the two airports so by careful examination we can say that by not considering the climatic conditions the Mayville Airport has less number of delays than New comb Airport so climatic conditions make more delays in Mayville Airport than Newcomb Airport more delays so we must prove this.

A.This states that climate conditions are responsible for delays in Mayville airport so this must be out choice
B. The question does state about climatic conditions but did not say about how worse so eliminate this
C.mechanical problems are not mentioned in the question so eliminate this (we should remember in proven or must be true family questions that if anything not mentioned in the Passage is mentioned in choices then we should straight forward eliminate it .)
D.what ever Airports are better equipped to handle weather conditions ,the planes can be safe within the Airport but who know's what happened when they fly so eliminate this and we should also consider that we are not discusses about weather equipment in question so eliminate it.
e.As we are talking about the delays of departure not about the arrivals ,so eliminate it on this basics.

Hope it helps and clear.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 4

Re: CR - Conclusion - # 1 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 07:51
IMO strong contenders are A and B.

Marked B but i think the answer is A.
Wrong with B is the the weather between the two airports is nowhere mentioned in the stimulus.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.71

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 21:08
This is a startight A.

All other options are either Irrelevant or Out of Scope. Conclusion should strictly come from argument. No inference.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, NYU Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 20:19
Its A because passage says if we neglect weather then Mayville has lesser delays
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 00:44
What is the answer? Is anyone knows answer?
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 00:44
What is the answer? Is anyone knows answer?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 08:48
above?
Newcomb Airport.

I did not get the answer..
-> M airport experiences 26 delay per 100 flights..
-> N airport experiences 20 delay per 100 flights..
due to bad weather , Mayville Airport has 5 fewer departure delays per 100 flights than Newcomb Airport does
that means there is less departure delay is taking place at M than airport N...due to weather
now option 1 says exactly opposite...
Please explain.. n tell me if i am wrong somewhere...
Thanks ..
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 01-16-2013
GPA: 3.37
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 20:19
above?

Newcomb Airport. Going by the logic, correct
b) On average, the weather at Mayville Airport is worse than it is at Newcomb Airport.not necessary, maybe both mayville and newcomb have similar weather conditions but newcomb's airport is more efficient in such conditions because of there mechanical, communication adequacy
Mayville Airport.out of scope
weather than the fleet of airplanes leaving from Mayville Airport.out of scope
Newcomb Airport does.out of scope, as we are discussing about departure scenario

Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-27-2013
GPA: 3.04
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 64

Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2013, 08:43
I am in the same boat. could somone please explain in detail

swapneilghodke wrote:
above?
Newcomb Airport.

due to bad weather , Mayville Airport has 5 fewer departure delays per 100 flights than Newcomb Airport does
that means there is less departure delay is taking place at M than airport N...due to weather
Thanks ..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IMD '16
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 73

Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 22:35
ganesamurthy wrote:

swapneilghodke wrote:
above?
Newcomb Airport.

Thanks ..

When the delays caused by bad weather is disregarded the number changes to

M - M Delay per 100 flights
N - M+5 Delay per 100 Flights

Lets Say M is 10

M - 10 per 100 flights
N - 15 per 100 flights

So we can conclude that due to bad weather more flights gets delayed at M airport (16) compared to N(5). Hope its clear

You've been walking the ocean's edge, holding up your robes to keep them dry. You must dive naked under, and deeper under, a thousand times deeper! - Rumi

http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nprep-com/ - This is worth its weight in gold

Economist GMAT Test - 730, Q50, V41 Aug 9th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 670, Q45, V36 Aug 11th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 680, Q47, V36 Aug 17th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 1 - 770, Q50, V44 Aug 24th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 690, Q45, V39 Aug 30th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 710, Q48, V39 Sep 13th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 2 - 740, Q49, V41 Oct 6th, 2013

GMAT - 770, Q50, V44, Oct 7th, 2013
My Debrief - from-the-ashes-thou-shall-rise-770-q-50-v-44-awa-5-ir-162299.html#p1284542

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IMD '16
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 73

Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 22:35
ganesamurthy wrote:

swapneilghodke wrote:
above?
Newcomb Airport.

Thanks ..

When the delays caused by bad weather is disregarded the number changes to

M - M Delay per 100 flights
N - M+5 Delay per 100 Flights

Lets Say M is 10

M - 10 per 100 flights
N - 15 per 100 flights

So we can conclude that due to bad weather more flights gets delayed at M airport (16) compared to N(5). Hope its clear

You've been walking the ocean's edge, holding up your robes to keep them dry. You must dive naked under, and deeper under, a thousand times deeper! - Rumi

http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nprep-com/ - This is worth its weight in gold

Economist GMAT Test - 730, Q50, V41 Aug 9th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 670, Q45, V36 Aug 11th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 680, Q47, V36 Aug 17th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 1 - 770, Q50, V44 Aug 24th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 690, Q45, V39 Aug 30th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 710, Q48, V39 Sep 13th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 2 - 740, Q49, V41 Oct 6th, 2013

GMAT - 770, Q50, V44, Oct 7th, 2013
My Debrief - from-the-ashes-thou-shall-rise-770-q-50-v-44-awa-5-ir-162299.html#p1284542

Re: Mayville Airport and Newcomb Airport have the same number of   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2013, 22:35