Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA(2 years) or MBA(1year) + MFin(1year) for IB career

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA(2 years) or MBA(1year) + MFin(1year) for IB career [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 18:40
Hi guys,

I am new in this forum and I've seen a lot of interesting comments, so my best regards to all of you.

I would like to see if you can help me with your thoughts about this approach.

Let's say that you have a couple of years in IB as a trader and now you want to pursue a graduate degree to gain knowledge and tools on management subjects for further senior roles and at the same time going deeper with your academic knowledge in finance, especially in investment management. Your post graduate program goal is to keep making an upside career in the IB industry.

Let's say you are a very strong applicant with i.e: GMAT above 750, GPA 3.7, strong LOR, etc etc.

I have read a lot of posts here and there that mention the difference about the depth in which finance related courses are tought between an MBA with specialization in finance and a Master in Finance. Almost everybody agree that the Master in Finance is well more rigorous in the subject than an MBA choosing electives in finance.

For the case presented above, wouldn't be more efficient academically speaking, to pursue for example an MBA in Oxford/Cambridge/Lbs(15 months).... to gain the wished management tools, and then going for a Master in Finance in....let's say Princeton/LBS/LSE/Oxford(MFE)...instead of going just for an MBA in Harvard/Wharton/Chicago taking finance electives.....????

The length of both options would be almost the same and the MFin in many countries has more scholarships and fellowships than an MBA.

I will be very glad to hear some point of views about this dilemma, with their respective pros and cons.

Thanks guy.......my best regards!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA(2 years) or MBA(1year) + MFin(1year) for IB career   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2009, 18:40