Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA/ACA ?!?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

MBA or ACA

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

MBA/ACA ?!? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 02:30
Hi,

Hope you're doing great and may this new year be even better then the last one for you.

I'm 22 years old and i'll be graduating this year from Oxford Brookes University, Oxford with a 3 year B Sc program in applied accountancy and an honorary BBA from theUniversity of Central Punjab, Lahore Pakistan. On top of that i would have qualified my final exams for the ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) en-route to enrolling for the ICAEW's ACA.

I'm pretty confused about what i wanna do next. I could either put three years of slave labour into one of the big-4s and learn some advisory (Consultancy) and audit. Or i can persue the MBA.. perhaps with an additional degree.

How good would you say this program is for a Chartered Accountant (Quite the same as a US CPA, but trained under the IFRS instead of GAAP) generally.. and specifically for my case?

Any reply will be treasured,
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 0

Re: MBA/ACA ?!? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
Get some work experience. You're better off working at a Big 4 than going straight into an MBA program, because if all you have to offer are credentials (degrees, accreditations, etc.) you're not going to be any more employable than someone with just a college degree - in other words, you'll be up for the same kinds of entry level jobs as some college grad with zero experience. Also, you want to establish yourself NOW as someone who can handle it in the real world, rather than get into the dangerous trap of becoming a degree/credential collector.

Again, all the degrees in the world are no substitute for experience. It may be harder for you to see that now since you've been in school all your life, but believe me even if you work for a few years in so-called "slave labor" (as you put it) in the real world, you will lay a much better foundation for your professional career.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: MBA/ACA ?!? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 21:46
Thanks a lot for the timely and comprehensive reply.. This sums up a lot of what i have been thinking about. And what i'm gathering from here is that it might not be a bad idea to get my hands dirty at the big-4 before i go back to school. My certification is in demand here, but in the future i wanna move out of the finance function to be able to lead and shape organizations. The way i see an MBA is that it grooms you for the corporate world - It's the executive boot camp. My main motivation to start MBA is the experience. And yeah! Real world's kinda scary... I gotta report to people n stuff.. Not my own boss anymore! :(.. School sounds like two more years of retreat..

I'll keep in touch with you in the future.

Thanks again,
Re: MBA/ACA ?!?   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2011, 21:46

MBA/ACA ?!?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap