Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Admission Profile Evaluation & GMAT Retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

MBA Admission Profile Evaluation & GMAT Retake [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 17:17
I got 730 (Q47 V42) and 740 (Q49 V41) on GMAT Prep only to get 660 (Q48 V34) on the actual test. These two GMAT Preps were re-takes after two months of studying. The first two times I had gotten 690 twice (Q49 V37 and Q47 V39) however I did not look at the solutions nor the answers back then because the software did not allow me to review the test the next day.

What I found surprising was my low verbal score. I got even lower than the first time even though I felt that the english was easy during the test. What is also weird is that on top of all of that, I had found comprehensive RC, SC and CR packages on GMAT Club and I was getting 4 out 36 questions wrong (at the max) in RC and SC. I was a bit weaker in CR but as you can see from my scores above it never affected me that much.

I really do not know what happened during the test and I am not sure if retaking will improve my score. I am willing to apply to INSEAD (avg GMAT 705) and IE (avg GMAT 680).

The advice I am seeking is for the following questions:
- Should I retake in a month?
- What can I do during this month to improve? I already went through MGMAT books, OG, GMAT Club Tests and GMAT Prep Tests and Question Pack. I was thinking maybe I can review the math and do some verbal GMAT Prep Questions (I found a comprehensive pack online).

Also, to better evaluate whether it would help me to retake, I am also presenting other parts of my profile.

I will split the profile into three different parts (Academic, Work Experience and Extra-curricular/Volunteer activities) and I will also mention my background to highlight my international experience.

I am originally from Lebanon and I traveled to Montreal, QC, Canada for education and work experience.

Academics:

McGill University: Major Electrical Engineering, Minor in Management
GPA: 3.53
GMAT: 660

Work Experience

1- Bombardier Aerospace:
- System Integrator for one year in the Flight Controls department
- Engineering Lead for 2 years (presently still occupying the position) in the Flight Controls department
I started off as a System Integrator in the flight control systems department. Through hard work, initiative and leadership, I was able to get an Engineering Lead position in the same department. I am very valued in the organization and I can get a very good recommendation from my manager who will be able to vouch for my leadership skills.

2- Other internships/short term work experienes

Extra-Curricular Activities

Throughout University:
- VP Finance for the Lebanese Student Association of McGill
- Marketer for AISEC McGill
- Soccer intra-murals
Throughout Work Experience:
- Volunteer for the annual Bombardier Centraide Campaign and appointed as Campaign director, again, through hard work and demonstrated leadership
I started off as a regular volunteer and as a primary organizer for one of the yearly fundraising events. I was able to work my way up and be recommended as a Campaign director. I could get a recommendation from one of the previous campaign directors and he can also vouch for my leadership abilities.
- Mentor for a young child with Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Toastmaster's Club (Public Speaking)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: MBA Admission Profile Evaluation & GMAT Retake [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 14:06
Thanks for posting.

Simply put, I would re-take the GMAT. In order to improve your score, I would determine which areas of the test proved to be most challenging (for instance, reading passages that dealt with hard science, philosophy and history) or data sufficiency (dealing with lengthy word problems and geometry). Be honest with yourself and be honest where you had problems. Once you determine where the problems are, hire an experienced tutor to help you with these specific sections. This is the most efficient and effective way for you to improve your score without having to go through the agony of studying for the entire GMAT exam. Based on your practice tests (and even your actual score), the basic material tested on the exam are not problematic for you.

Remember that the test is just the beginning to this process and you need to have an outstanding application at all of your target school in order remain your competitive position.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: MBA Admission Profile Evaluation & GMAT Retake   [#permalink] 13 May 2013, 14:06