Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Admissions Chances. Please help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA Admissions Chances. Please help! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 06:45
Hello all,

I would like to see what my MBA admissions chances would be for Fall 2014. Thanks everyone!

Dream schools: (In order)
Stanford
Dartmouth
Yale
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UT-Austin

Undergrad:
California State school (top 3)
2.95 GPA (3.4 Major)
GMAT 700 (q47 40) will re-take in 6 months hoping for a 730-750
Member of two business clubs

Grad school:
Top 5 MAcc program (Michigan, UT, USC, BYU)
3.75 GPA Cum Laude
member of three clubs, VP of one club
member of religious club on campus
leader of youth group (religious) off campus

Work Experience
1 year Corporate Banking Analyst (JPMorgan, Wells Fargo, Bank of America)
2 years Investment Banking Analyst (Piper Jaffray, Jefferies, Houlilhan Lokey)
2 years Private Equity Associate (boutique PE firm)
1 F500 finance internship in undergrad
1 F100 finance internship in undergrad
1 year part-time as CFO of a start up

Misc:
Under-Represented Minority (Hispanic)
Active in community service (~6 hours a week), frequent missions to Mexico
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Admissions Chances. Please help! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 23:43
Expert's post
Well, I was about to write
"Stanford with a 2.95.. no way!" until I saw your very nice work experience. And even if Stanford is a very very long shot (If you look at their students, they take like two people per year with a less than 3.0) but still that, plus a minority student does give you a wee chance. I'll assume that with 8 years of experience (did I count right?) you are on the older side (29-30???). And I think you would have a shot at the rest of the schools you mentioned, even with a 700 GMAT. But did I understand myself correctly? You will take the GMAT in six months? Does that mean you are not applying THIS year??? And why not??? Being on the older side, it seems to make sense to me.

Other than that, I'd need to get a bit more detail about your career (whether all these changes are promotions, opportunities, or whether you changed jobs for other reasons... plus a bit more about what you actually did)... but no matter what, with a 700 your background and experience, I'd say that at least the bottom three on your list should give you pretty good chances, and the rest (except Stanford) you would be pretty competitive.

Best,
JF

and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Admissions Chances. Please help! [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 09:33
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Well, I was about to write
"Stanford with a 2.95.. no way!" until I saw your very nice work experience. And even if Stanford is a very very long shot (If you look at their students, they take like two people per year with a less than 3.0) but still that, plus a minority student does give you a wee chance. I'll assume that with 8 years of experience (did I count right?) you are on the older side (29-30???). And I think you would have a shot at the rest of the schools you mentioned, even with a 700 GMAT. But did I understand myself correctly? You will take the GMAT in six months? Does that mean you are not applying THIS year??? And why not??? Being on the older side, it seems to make sense to me.

Other than that, I'd need to get a bit more detail about your career (whether all these changes are promotions, opportunities, or whether you changed jobs for other reasons... plus a bit more about what you actually did)... but no matter what, with a 700 your background and experience, I'd say that at least the bottom three on your list should give you pretty good chances, and the rest (except Stanford) you would be pretty competitive.

Best,
JF

and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate.

Thanks for the response, it is truly appreciated.
I currently have 5 years of full time, 1 year of part-time in the start-up, and did two summer internships in college. I took the GMAT to enter the MAcc program, and plan to re-take within 6 months to apply for Fall 2014, but most likely Fall 2015. I will be 29 by Fall 2015. I plan on at least a 730 on the GMAT re-take, with a max of 750.
As far as work experience, I will add some detail in order to get the best advice from you.
I pursued a MAcc degree due to the fact I came from a non-target school, and thought I wanted to do Big 4 accounting. After a couple of months in the MAcc, I saw that audit wasn’t for me. After some research, I determined that Investment Banking would be best for me. I applied through On-Campus Recruiting to various Investment Banking positions but due to my lack of relevant internships I failed to get interviews or offers. I did manage to land a Corporate Banking Analyst position with a major commercial bank. What I did there was somewhat related to investment banking, mostly assisting middle-market companies with debt-financing. I killed it there, all while knowing that I was going to use the position to lateral into IB. After 6 months I managed to get some interviews with middle-market investment banks (Jefferies, Piper, Houlihan), and got two offers. I did the structured 2-year program there, focusing on financial institutions. After my first year, I was headhunted for Private Equity recruiting, and accepted a position at a local defense-oriented Private Equity firm. My finance internships in college were both in the corporate finance departments of major F500 corporations.
I would like to do Corporate Strategy/Development post-MBA.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Admissions Chances. Please help! [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 21:58
Expert's post
Thanks for expanding on your work experience. I still think things look quite good, and if you are able to get a 730+, they will look even better. Stanford will STILL be a long shot (they are like that I am afraid), but it would definitely make things easier for you at Yale and Dartmouth (although I would also wonder WHY you chose these two schools as they are not the first ones that necessarily pop into mind when I think banking... meaning that you will need to explain a bit the match between your school choice and goals). Since you have a year, besides your GMAT this can also be an opportunity for you to "Fill in" any holes you have in your profile - volunteer work, etc.

Good luck on your retake!
And if you have anything else, let me know.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!