Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Advice 27-year-old engineer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 41

MBA Advice 27-year-old engineer [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 12:59
Dear All,

I am an MSc graduate in Engineering in Italy at the age of 24 (GPA 4.0/4.0 and best student prize...)
3 years Work Experience in Engineering company
I am really looking for a career change and I have always been interested in finance.
I would like to have your advice on whether to pursue a MSc in finance (2-years) or an MBA (1-2 years), in order to break into a finance role (Asset Mgmt/Equity Research/Real Estate) at my "old" age.

I must underline that I have no experience in finance industry so far.

I currently live in Italy, and as a matter of fact an MBA does not give you any possibility to land a job in finance in Italy (in many cases you do not land a job at all...)
To work in Italy perhaps the only option available is a MsC in Finance from Bocconi (2 years), but I am afraid when graduated I would be too old (30 years) and regarded a strange career switcher with no experience, and therefore I would have hard times landing a job. Do you agree? Anyone with experience in Italy?

Any further advice you can give me over MBA/MSc in Finance in Europe/USA?
How is a 30-year-old-former-engineer with a MBA or a MSc regarded in the financial sector? Will he get any interview?

Thank you in advance.
MBA Advice 27-year-old engineer   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2013, 12:59