Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA Advice [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2006, 19:13
Hi Omari/Scott,

I have been following this board for sometime and found the posts really helpful. I was planning to do my MBA in a couple of years and needed your opinion. My background is as follows:

I have done B.E. in Civil Engg from India ( GPA 3.5) and M.S. in civil Engg ( GPA 3.47)from a highly ranked school and programin US. I worked for a year on a construction project before doing my MS and am currently working in an engg. design consultancy firm ( just started a month back). My GMAT score on practice test is around 720 ( hopefully should get around that on real one..)

Extracurricular activitites:
- vicecaptain intramural cricket team
-member of intramural soccer team( college), volleyball team (at high school)
-memeber of civil engg honor society
-volunteer for post tsunami relief
- Currently looking to do some more community service work to add to my experience

I come from India and have a family business background ( in construction) and plan to join it after doing my MBA. The reason I did my M.S. was to get some technical know-how & international exposure & start a design consultancy practice within my firm. That is why I am currently working for a year in an another engg design firm.

My question is: If I apply to a B-School for 2007 fall with only 2 years of experience, do I have a chance in HBS/Stanford/Wharton ( as the average workex in these is 4-5 years)? or should I wait for another year and apply after I'll ahve 3 years workex.. I want to finish my MBA ASAP as my family needs me to join the business.

Apologise for the long mail, but would greatly appreciate your opinion

Thanks in advance

MG

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 43

[#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2006, 16:22
Expert's post
Stanford and HBS are recruiting younger students these days, so your limited work experience by itself shouldn't necessarilu hurt you there. In the case of Wharton, they still tend to take slightly older students, so your chances may be harder there. But, I like their definition of "maturity" on their web site. You'll see that they're open-minded about it.

Just keep in mind that "I want to hurry back home to run the family business ASAP" is a profile that we see A LOT these days (esp. among Indian applicants), so you'll need to work hard to distinguish yourself and convince adcomms why YOU are a good person for them to admit early.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews