Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA after internships?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 21

MBA after internships? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 04:33
Hey!

I am done with my bachelor in Germany (B.Sc. in Business Administration - top 2 school) and decided on doing a GAP Year with several internships from now on.

Adding to the internships I did before / during university, at the time of entering a graduate program, I would have 2 years of work experience in total.

Do you guys think it makes sense to do an MBA right afterwards with all working experience through the past internships or should I rather consider doing a M.Sc. and an MBA at some point afterwards?

Thanks!

With all the best!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 9

Re: MBA after internships? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 04:44
Hi,
depends which schools your aiming to. Many schools are sensitive to the work experience factor and want to substantial progress there (responsibilities, promotions, etc.). If there are no unusual factors in your appication, I would gain that experience before applying. Bear in mind that the M. Sc. will not necessarily advance your chances.
Manager
Manager

Re: MBA after internships? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 04:55
EssaysOri wrote:
Hi,
depends which schools your aiming to. Many schools are sensitive to the work experience factor and want to substantial progress there (responsibilities, promotions, etc.). If there are no unusual factors in your appication, I would gain that experience before applying. Bear in mind that the M. Sc. will not necessarily advance your chances.

Hi,

the plan would be to do a M.Sc. and then work for at least 2 yrs before applying...

With all the best!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 90

Re: MBA after internships? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 05:16
Also keep in mind that nearly all credible schools don't count internships as work experience - they're just EC's. So I would recommend getting an actual job and moving up and showing signs of leadership and responsibility and THEN apply.

TheGerman wrote:
Hey!

I am done with my bachelor in Germany (B.Sc. in Business Administration - top 2 school) and decided on doing a GAP Year with several internships from now on.

Adding to the internships I did before / during university, at the time of entering a graduate program, I would have 2 years of work experience in total.

Do you guys think it makes sense to do an MBA right afterwards with all working experience through the past internships or should I rather consider doing a M.Sc. and an MBA at some point afterwards?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Re: MBA after internships? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 13:47
Jamon wrote:
Also keep in mind that nearly all credible schools don't count internships as work experience - they're just EC's. So I would recommend getting an actual job and moving up and showing signs of leadership and responsibility and THEN apply.

TheGerman wrote:
Hey!

Thanks!

Another question: Does a good M.Sc. make up for an average B.Sc.?

In high school I had a GPA of 3.4-3.5, during my bachelor I guess I was in between 3.0-3.1 . Does a good grade within the M.Sc. (3.3-3.5) help / override my bachelor grade?

GZ

With all the best!

Re: MBA after internships?   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2013, 13:47