Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA after MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 17:48
:)

Out of curiosity, can I ask what industry you are looking to break into?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 18:07
rhyme wrote:

i am thinking about mc.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [1] , given: 7

Premium Member
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 18:22
This post received
KUDOS
Daler wrote:
rhyme wrote:

i am thinking about mc.

You probably already know this.... but just to be sure: a top 5 isn't going to guarantee you an offer at McK/Bain/BCG. At the GSB, they EACH interviewed maybe 100 or so people and I'd venture that between the three there are maybe 50 or so interns. Do the math, its not that great of odds - maybe 20% on the high end. The thing about being in a top 5 that is that you are competing against, literally, 100 or more other people who are ALL smart, accomplished, etc.

Not trying to suggest you shouldn't consider a top 5, just saying you should keep your expectations realistic. For what its worth, if you are flexible on destination, I'm happy to pass your resume to the right people at some firms when the time comes.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 3

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 01:30
This post received
KUDOS
Daler wrote:
Why was I so stupid not to find this kind of forums earlier?!
I've been browsing the forum for about an hour, and already got many answers to my questions. thank you all!

added to favorites.

Don't worry, everybody gets addicted to gmatclub, no need to favorites :lol:

I will insist in what I mentioned before: why don’t you also think about another degree? I have a couple of friends working for these big consulting guys who took other degrees rather than MBAs. Some people got Masters at LSE; I have a friend who just has an undergrad degree, he climbed so fast, that he decided not to attend an MBA.

I know that the MBA, and usually a Top one, is the natural path to Management Consulting, but I do know people who got there from different ways. They for sure are dots out of the curve, but in your situation, you need to be really savvy.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 15:54
rhyme wrote:
Daler wrote:
rhyme wrote:

i am thinking about mc.

You probably already know this.... but just to be sure: a top 5 isn't going to guarantee you an offer at McK/Bain/BCG. At the GSB, they EACH interviewed maybe 100 or so people and I'd venture that between the three there are maybe 50 or so interns. Do the math, its not that great of odds - maybe 20% on the high end. The thing about being in a top 5 that is that you are competing against, literally, 100 or more other people who are ALL smart, accomplished, etc.

Not trying to suggest you shouldn't consider a top 5, just saying you should keep your expectations realistic. For what its worth, if you are flexible on destination, I'm happy to pass your resume to the right people at some firms when the time comes.

many thanks Rhyme. will kee in mind
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 15:57
kwam wrote:
Daler wrote:
Why was I so stupid not to find this kind of forums earlier?!
I've been browsing the forum for about an hour, and already got many answers to my questions. thank you all!

added to favorites.

Don't worry, everybody gets addicted to gmatclub, no need to favorites :lol:

I will insist in what I mentioned before: why don’t you also think about another degree? I have a couple of friends working for these big consulting guys who took other degrees rather than MBAs. Some people got Masters at LSE; I have a friend who just has an undergrad degree, he climbed so fast, that he decided not to attend an MBA.

I know that the MBA, and usually a Top one, is the natural path to Management Consulting, but I do know people who got there from different ways. They for sure are dots out of the curve, but in your situation, you need to be really savvy.

MS in most of the cases won't bring mba positions and salaries, imo.
unless you are doing ms finance at princeton - i am not that smart.

i just got email from LBS - they do accept candidates who have mba
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 20:52
Daler,

I can tell you from experience that work experience is much more important in getting into the consulting industry rather than a specific degree. I've been in consulting for 11 years at Big 4, systems integrators and several boutique firms. While it's true that BCG, Mckinsey and Bain look for particular schools, most other consulting firms look for specific skill sets and deep industry experience. At the end of the day, nobobdy cares where you went to school once you're hired; it's all about being able to deliver. I've run into many MBAs from top business schools (Cornell, UT-Austin to name a few) who were worthless as consultants while many of the top consultants I've worked with were from no-name schools (many without an MBA) who had superior experience, technical and soft skills. My advice would be to finish your current program and get focused experience within an industry (mix of functional and technical skills). I'm not saying don't try to get into a top 5 business school but consider the opportunity costs as well as the numbers game at firms such as BCG, Mckinsey. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 20:55
Daler,

I am in a similiar situation: I am in the middle of a non-top 30 MBA program, but am doing it part-time -- I would have finished at age 25 if I kept at it. I realized that as a part-time student I was missing out on a lot of the experience so I will be applying to full-time programs for Fall 2009. I have also debated not mentioning the credits, but have ruled it out since it is unethical.

I think we are in good shape:

from Wharton website:
I already have an MBA. Can I apply to Wharton? | TOP
Yes you can apply. We do not exclude candidates who have an MBA or any other graduate degree. You should, however, fully explain your reasons for pursuing a second MBA in your application.

I believe MIT also has the same policy.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 21:00
At the Wharton MBA for Executives program, there are a few (very few) students who have MBAs. I believe sometimes there are students who are current students who switch programs as well. It's rare but I wouldn't rule it out.

I think the students with MBAs do have an advantage in the core classes. The MBAs are always from a lower ranked school.

RVD.

My Wharton Blog - http://www.whartonblog.com
Wharton MBA for Executives Ambassador - http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t66295
My Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/102-t49770

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 18:30
PalmettoRU wrote:
Daler,

I am in a similiar situation: I am in the middle of a non-top 30 MBA program, but am doing it part-time -- I would have finished at age 25 if I kept at it. I realized that as a part-time student I was missing out on a lot of the experience so I will be applying to full-time programs for Fall 2009. I have also debated not mentioning the credits, but have ruled it out since it is unethical.

I think we are in good shape:

from Wharton website:
I already have an MBA. Can I apply to Wharton? | TOP
Yes you can apply. We do not exclude candidates who have an MBA or any other graduate degree. You should, however, fully explain your reasons for pursuing a second MBA in your application.

I believe MIT also has the same policy.

so, did you quit?

I received emails from pretty much all top schools in Europe. they all consider candidates with mba's. however, as someone already mentioned, it does NOT mean that they accept them, since all schools want more people to apply to boost their rankning thru higher selectivity.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 00:13
Daler wrote:
I received emails from pretty much all top schools in Europe. they all consider candidates with mba's. however, as someone already mentioned, it does NOT mean that they accept them, since all schools want more people to apply to boost their rankning thru higher selectivity.

Top schools in Europe - I guess you've written to LBS, do you have replies from IMD and INSEAD as well?

I have an MS degree in management that's not really an MBA, from a university no one in the civilised world has heard of, about 6 years ago, but reading this thread gave me shivers.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 07:11
The bottom of the top 30? I think you'd have a more compelling argument if you weren't in a top 30 school (I'm talking about school no one has ever heard of - kinda thing). There are a lot of people on this board who would love to get into a top 30 school imagine saying I'm a student at Yale SOM (BW #24) or Vanderbilt (#30) and saying this degree isn't even worth me completing I need to quit now and go to H/S/W? I'd give you a 0% chance of making this argument sympathetic, if you have an MBA from a top 30 school get a consulting job, get experience, show performance and growth and then apply to a different company.
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 01:37
lsuguy7 wrote:
The bottom of the top 30? I think you'd have a more compelling argument if you weren't in a top 30 school (I'm talking about school no one has ever heard of - kinda thing). There are a lot of people on this board who would love to get into a top 30 school imagine saying I'm a student at Yale SOM (BW #24) or Vanderbilt (#30) and saying this degree isn't even worth me completing I need to quit now and go to H/S/W? I'd give you a 0% chance of making this argument sympathetic, if you have an MBA from a top 30 school get a consulting job, get experience, show performance and growth and then apply to a different company.

Thanks for advice.
The school I am attending is higher in rankings (BW 2008), than both schools you mentioned above. BUT, it is not even close, in terms of brand, to some of the top schools in US. And since I want to end up in Europe, brand recognition is huge for me. However, I think you are right. The more I think about it, the more pessimistic I become about my chances. Now, I am considering shifting my focus to European schools, which may be more realistic in my case.
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 01:49
Nerdboy wrote:
Daler wrote:

Top schools in Europe - I guess you've written to LBS, do you have replies from IMD and INSEAD as well?

I have an MS degree in management that's not really an MBA, from a university no one in the civilised world has heard of, about 6 years ago, but reading this thread gave me shivers.

yes, from LBS, IMD and INSEAD. they all wrote that they consider applicants with MBA's. No need to worry, especially in your case. Good luck!
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 10:07
You're gonna get addicted like the rest of us

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: MBA after MBA   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2008, 10:07