Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA after MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 13:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello fellow GMATers!

I am a second year int-l student (from former ussr member country) in a US b-school which is currently ranked in the bottom of top 30 by usnews. I am relatively young - will turn 25 by the time I get my MBA degree. However, I realized that my school's mba would not provide me with the keys to all doors, and by the time I did, it was too late. I might go for non-profit after I graduate, retake a gmat (my current score is over 700), and do whatever it takes me to build a strong resume.

I am aiming only at top 3-5.

What do you guys/gals think, how adcoms generally perceive candidates who decide to go for a second exact same degree?

Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 13:47
From what I have read, it will be nearly impossible to get accepted into an MBA program if you already have your MBA....especially an MBA from a US school. I know some Indian and international applicants apply to US b-schools when they have MBAs from their home countries, and even they find it nearly impossible to get into top US b-schools.....

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 14:19
yes, I heard that too. but i am still young enough to believe in miracles, or at least to be naive.

are there any particular schools who dislike second mba's?

and what about european schools?
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 14:37
Im not sure. Your best bet would be to contact the schools directly. They should be very honest with their feelings on getting a second MBA.

"George is getting upset!"

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
Daler wrote:
yes, I heard that too. but i am still young enough to believe in miracles, or at least to be naive.

Your question would be better phrased as "are there any particular schools who DON'T dislike second mba's?" I do not know of any that would admit a student with a preexisting MBA from a US program, although it's not something that I have specifically researched.

You could take the ethically dubious route of not telling the school about your existing MBA (explaining that two year gap in work experience would be difficult) or not completing your current MBA, but those sorts of drastic steps would be counter-productive IMO. If you have what it takes to get in to the top 3-5 MBA programs, I doubt that you need one of those programs to get wherever it is that you wish to be given that you already have an MBA. You would be better served spending the two years gaining valuable work experience towards your long-term goal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 15:22
I dont think its going to happen. If you got an MBA from some place in a foreign country, then it might be a possibility at some schools. However, already having an MBA from a US program pretty much will probably eliminate your ability to be admitted. I would say contact schools to see what they say but it doesnt seem promising.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 15:31
Agreed with river. Why would a top program give up a spot to somebody who already has an MBA, rather that give it to somebody who doesn't have one?
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 16:01
dox wrote:
Daler wrote:

You could take the ethically dubious route of not telling the school about your existing MBA (explaining that two year gap in work experience would be difficult) or not completing your current MBA, but those sorts of drastic steps would be counter-productive IMO. If you have what it takes to get in to the top 3-5 MBA programs, I doubt that you need one of those programs to get wherever it is that you wish to be given that you already have an MBA. You would be better served spending the two years gaining valuable work experience towards your long-term goal.

I personally don't consider not telling a school about mba an ethical issue. it is my choice to spend 2 more years in school, paying the tuition, etc...don't see any harm to school or students. On the other hand, I would not want to start my career from a lie. But I am almost sure I can convince myself that it is for my own good. :-D
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 16:17
This post received
KUDOS
If a school asks you what you have been doing for the last two years and you dont confess going to school for your MBA then they find out you will get kicked out for an honor code violation. If you dont address your last two years in your resume then you would have to write about why you have a work gap in your essays or you wont have any chance of getting into a good school. So either you lie and probably get caught at which point you can be booted out at anytime including a week before graduation...or you tell the truth and they wont accept you.

I say you ask adcoms at a few schools and see what they say. Some may tell you that its a holistic process and you will have a shot just to get you to apply. Personally I dont think you have a chance. You are better off spending your time and efforts into chasing jobs.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 17:54
the natural step should be the DBA
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 18:25
Thank you guys for honest replies. I really appreciate them.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
Just because you can convince yourself it is for your own good does not mean that it is an ethical decision. I can convince myself that it is for my own good to rob every single person weaker than myself as long as I don't get caught, but that is hardly ethical. Doesn't your top 30 school have an ethics requirement?

To get back to your original question, most schools specifically prohibit students who already have US MBAs from applying. You can check their websites and do your own research, but I definitely recall that all the top schools specifically ban applications from people who already hold MBAs. The only exception (as some others have suggested) are certain international MBA programs that are not at the same level (more equivalent to an undergrad business degree or something).

Anyhow, every single top school will ask you to provide details of every single year between getting your college degree and your application. You will have to lie on your application. Don't care what you think about it, it's a lie.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 01:27
Why don't you go for an MS? There are shorter programs (1 year) that would open you many doors...

I don't think that the MBA thing will work out - sorry to be that straightforward. I think you need a second plan. What kind of industry do you want?

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
I'm pretty sure none of the top 10 programs will admit someone who already has an MBA. I remember reading the FAQs on the Stanford and Haas webpages that says it. Not sure about UCLA and Kellogg, but I'm pretty sure none of the US schools in general will admit someone with an identical degree from another US school (this applies to MS in Sciences, Engineering, Finance, etc...). Sorry to dash your hopes.

One way is to drop out of your b-school right now (if you've only finished your first year) AFTER asking if the top 3-5 schools will accept you if you didn't complete your MBA.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 08:26
I believe Michigan (Ross) is a Top School (not 3-5, but Top 10-15) that are accepting of 2nd MBAs. Not positive about this though.

I agree with above, your best bet is a DBA.

~Sam
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 13:53
This post received
KUDOS
If you absolutely believe that going back to school is the best option for you, I would recommend looking at an additional MA degree closely related to the field you are interested in. Enviornmental Studies, Public Policy, Urban Planning, Land Development, International Relations...I could go on and on. To be honest, my first thought was that if you just started working right after graduation, two years on you would probably be at the same position, if not higher than you would be coming from a higher ranked school with 2 yrs less WE. Especially if it's indeed top 30...
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 14:56
No, maybe PhD.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 15:33
sam77sam7 wrote:
I believe Michigan (Ross) is a Top School (not 3-5, but Top 10-15) that are accepting of 2nd MBAs. Not positive about this though.

I agree with above, your best bet is a DBA.

~Sam

Interesting. Can you give me the source, please?

anyways, I am not considering Michigan. In my situation, it is worth quitting my current MBA only for the sake of top 5.
I have another option: dropping the program before the beginning of the classes.

P.S.:The field I want to enter is very competitive, and based on my experience, solid mba is the shortest way to get in.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your insights.

-Regards,
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 16:22
This post received
KUDOS
Michigan does accept prospective students with MBA's. I was doing research last night and came across it.

Q: I already have an MBA. Can I still apply to Ross' MBA Program?
A. We do accept applications from individuals who have an MBA. However, you must explain through your application why you feel you need another MBA degree.

http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba ... plying.htm

Definitely worth a shot! Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA after MBA [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 17:37
Why was I so stupid not to find this kind of forums earlier?!
I've been browsing the forum for about an hour, and already got many answers to my questions. thank you all!

added to favorites.

Last edited by Daler on 23 Jun 2008, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Re: MBA after MBA   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2008, 17:37