Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [5] , given: 0

MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey all,

I had an idea for a nice lightweight MBA applicant website where we can track profiles/sort/etc.

There are also some social networking aspects...comments on profiles and schools. The whole site is very much plugged into google (appengine, google accounts), mostly due to the ease of using their stuff. of course if its popular i will probably add adsense too.

If you get a chance, check it out. I am obviously the only profile on there right now but as others submit the usefulness of the site grows. I would be eager to get any feedback of course too :)

for starters, you can check out a demo video on youtube.

http://mbacharts.appspot.com/

i'd appreciate bug reports in a PM or through the site email address.

my gmat review:
gmat-review-770-q50-v44-86800.html

MBA charts:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 10:11
Great idea go2bizSkool! My only concern is privacy - since google accounts are usually tied in to a lot of other personal information. Can the architecture be adjusted so on the backend a central google account stores the data with a simpler, non-google authentication on the front-end?

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 10:21
sure, I will look into that tonight :o

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Manager
Manager

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 10:37
More info on google accounts FYI:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/p ... rview.html

I used google accounts mostly for convenience. Keep in mind you can also make an additional google account just for mbacharts. Just go to the gmail page and go for new account, which should solve any privacy issues.

I will however add a non-google option for those that prefer that :)

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 10:47
go2bizSkool wrote:
I will however add a non-google option for those that prefer that :)

Thanks a bunch for that. I think it will raise the participation level for the app.

GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 12:27
go2bizSkool wrote:
Hey all,

I had an idea for a nice lightweight MBA applicant website where we can track profiles/sort/etc.

There are also some social networking aspects...comments on profiles and schools. The whole site is very much plugged into google (appengine, google accounts), mostly due to the ease of using their stuff. of course if its popular i will probably add adsense too.

If you get a chance, check it out. I am obviously the only profile on there right now but as others submit the usefulness of the site grows. I would be eager to get any feedback of course too :)

for starters, you can check out a demo video on youtube.

i'd appreciate bug reports in a PM or through the site email address.

how is this different from admissions411.com
this is a curiosity question because I've browsed admissions411 in the past but not your site yet.
Manager
Manager

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 12:37
i have tried admissions411 but i found their profile submission was rather onerous and they did not allow free browsing to the public (must be registered and signed in, which is unfortunate).

the ease of use will hopefully get more people to add their profile, and thus make it a more popular site.

in addition, my app is entirely javascript which makes it seem more snappy and responsive :)

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 12:47
lagomez wrote:
[
how is this different from admissions411.com
this is a curiosity question because I've browsed admissions411 in the past but not your site yet.

I like the user experience of and views of go2bizSkool's app much better. If we get this going, his is a better mousetrap in my opinion.

VP
VP

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 12:47
go2bizSkool wrote:
i have tried admissions411 but i found their profile submission was rather onerous and they did not allow free browsing to the public (must be registered and signed in, which is unfortunate).

the ease of use will hopefully get more people to add their profile, and thus make it a more popular site.

in addition, my app is entirely javascript which makes it seem more snappy and responsive :)

It would be nice to find a way to get a large pool so that the data has more meaning. Admissions411.com used to get a lot of people but my guess is they are getting less than 10% of the applicant pool and the data differ quite a bit from actual numbers the school provides.

Do you have a way to provide the school's data? That would be nice so as to avoid going to each school's web site and a valid comparison can be made instantaneously based on different parameters. Of course, one would compare prior year's data to the present..

Just an idea.
Manager
Manager

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 12:50
that's a great idea. the more ideas the better. i am trying to build a site that everyone will enjoy as we bite our nails through the admissions process.

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

VP
VP

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 12:53
as you said it's a beta version but if this works out get a domain that's easy to remember
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 14:35
great job go2bizSkool! I entered my data. Just two suggestions:

1) Can you add LBS+INSEAD ?

2) Can you include a field for application round?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Ross, Haas, Fuqua, UNC, Darden
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 14:59
Great work go2bizSkool! I updated my data, hoping a lot more people would join in. Are you spreading the word about this initiative outside of this forum as well? That could get you more data. Also, maybe some sorta email update might be a good idea!
Manager
Manager

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 15:07
stopper thanks for the input. i will add those tonight.

varun, thanks for adding your profile. i wanted to first get some feedback, etc. here at gmatclub before "launching to the world". after a couple iterations i will probably market it on the other forums to get more data. email/notification is a good idea too, thanks!

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 16:04
kudos go2bizSkool!!
one way to popularise this wud be to add the url to your signature on gmatclub,
also i'll spead the word abt this thru my blog.

Cheers
-D-
http://mymaidenjourney.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 20:58
MBACharts V2.0 Release Notes:

-Add LBS and Insead

-Fix random bug where list item is not selected properly

-Default GMAT changed to 550

-Added round to profile, user panel, and table

-Added other status for undergrad prestige

-Added IT to differentiate from Engineering

-Added more detail to finance categories

In Queue:
-Non google accounts
-School info next to table/chart
-Email notifications on updates (optional of course)

Thank you for any and all publicity. We have grown 1000% today (1 to 10 users haha)

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 06:40
Great initiative!

Perhaps it deserves a sticky?
Manager
Manager

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 09:27
I think the tool could be very complementary to GMATClub. To the higher ups if reading: perhaps we can work out some kind of link exchange deal?

For example mbacharts could have a link to to gmatclub the premier b-school and gmat community on the web and a link from gmatclub to mbacharts the b-school profile tracking site. something like that.

i was also thinking of eventually adding premium accounts. premium = no ads, access to more sophisticated queries (basic would still be 100% free). ex estimating chance of admission based on similar profile analysis.

To get the site going i would say the first 1000 registered users get free premium for life 8-) . That will hopefully solve the chicken and egg dilemma.

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 16:25
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
Great idea go2bizSkool! My only concern is privacy - since google accounts are usually tied in to a lot of other personal information. Can the architecture be adjusted so on the backend a central google account stores the data with a simpler, non-google authentication on the front-end?

QFT. I'm happy to contribute information, but only as anonymously as possible...
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta) [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 20:06
great initiative, i added my profile...i hope it doesn't draw info from or publish my email address. in your next version, i think it'd be helpful to be able to sort by industry/function in the same way as you can for schools. i'd like to be able to see what kind of numbers people in various functions average at each school

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Re: MBA Applicant Tool (very much in Beta)   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2009, 20:06