Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Application Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, NYU Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2005, 04:25
thanks for the reply.i have mentioned this thing in all my essays and i always wanted to restart my buisness venture and that is why i am thinking of an MBA at this stage of career
I have been recently writing a novel and have recently wrking on an Efficency based management modal which is thought by me and i ma currently working on it.Do you think these additional factors will contribute to my application, as i think b-schools might not think that i am thinking too high or boasting about myself?and does elite B-schools like Columbia nd LBS consider all these experiences

Paul wrote:
Even though your business venture failed, I believe that it is a good thing to mention it: What did you learn from the whole experience? If you had to restart it again, what would you make differently? Why do you think the venture failed? All the above are valid questions and will add to the learning experience of the potential school you will join. This will also make your experience unique and it is what B-schools are looking for.

In terms of work visa in France, I would suggest it to be more difficult to obtain relative to obtaining one in Canada. Canada has always been a country with much available space and always in search of qualified immigrants. Western Europe is a much more crowded part of the world which will make rules more stringent in terms of work visa. For instance, for a regular individual, it will take 2 years in Canada to be a permanent resident while it would take 10 years in the UK. However, if you are qualified and come from a top-school, you should not worry too much.

As to the other questions, I am not qualified to answer them :(
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 05:04
hi,
i wanted to ask that does starting of a company makes a significant difference in a candidate's application and what does ultra elite schools like Harvard,whart and stanford look in a candidate, besides the stuff emntioned on their websites?

regards
carsen wrote:
Hi

About your profile. You have a good profile and couple of good factors like Novel, startup of a firm etc...That will help.

Your GMAT is low fo LBS and Columbia. I applied to LBS in the 3rd round, and got a 'ding' (rejected). GMAT is just one factor. LBS looks for people with international work expr (preferrably). The hard fact is (according to my research), with a low gmat score it is very difficult to get in to LBS. But again, its ur call. If your score a little more than 650, then I wud say you have chances (again, being the last round, chances are less).

I know people with couple of them who have got in to LBS and all of them have a score not less than 690. Save your money, LBS application fee is high. Work on the GMAT, give ur best. If you score above 650, then the adcom will look in to your apps with positive attitude. Sorry to say this vivek, but this is hte hard fact.

I have 10 years of exprnc and worked in 5 countries with a 640 gmat (low though). I got rejected by Cornell, LBS. I applied to 4 schools. I got in to IESE (spain) and Purdue for one year MBA.

If you need any information, feel free. My suggestion is to wait for one more year and make it to a top school than to do an MBA for the 3 letter next to the name. You have ample time to prepare the essays, the gmat and reccos. Submit them the best way and I am sure you will make it to LBS or any top schools.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 18:08
Hello Vikky

All schools that you have mentioned look for these basic (BASIC - I cannot emphasize more on this), in an application, apart from the GPA, GMAT and Reccos

1. Leadership (You have to give real life evidence in your essays)
2. Team work
3. Communication skills (How well you can communicate)
4. Extra currcl (Community service)
5. International Exprc.

1. Take Harvard for this case. They produce leaders, CEO.....hence they need someone who has the potential to be a leader. Harvard gives high points to leadership.

2. Stanford - Known to produce entrprns. Hene, they look not only for leaders but also communctn and teamwork.

All the top schools want to produce Businessmen ..not just businessmen but SUCCESFUL businessmen, whose name wil later be included in the MBA brochure. You know like a STAR of our school. George bush - Harvard.....cool, now top guys would like to go to Harvard and say, Hey...bush is our alumni. Hence they give much importance to leadership, teamwork and community service. If you can build a story comprising these 3 to 5 points, who are almost there.

Good luck.
Regards

Giving another SHOT

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 20:12
hi,
thanks a lot for the repky. I opened a company on my own at an early stage of my life,succesfully ran it for some time and i think that is a great leadership experience.right?

i have been actively involved in extra cirricular activities at college level and i am recently working for an NGO?

I am writing a novel and have thought of a management model which i have thought on my own and i am currently working on it?

Of all the good b-schools i have applied, i have mentioned these things and have mentioned that i would like to do my majors in Enterpreneurship?

Will all these things have a significant impact on my applciation and will they cover my low GMAT and GPA scores, though my quant is always good?need your views on it

regards
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 21:01
Please note that in the modern era the ultraelites are far more concerned with producing accomplished businesspeople than businessmen . . .

Re: starting one's own company, the value of this depends in part on how you are marketing yourself to the school. If you are selling yourself as an entrepreneur, then having previously run a rather successful company demonstrates that you have some knowledge of the demands of being a a business owner. Your story is even better if you can show how your business would have been more successful if only you had the skills/contacts/wisdom of having attended school x's MBA program. On the other hand, if you express strong interest in being a worker bee who will climb up the corporate ladder, your self-employment experience is probably less relevant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 21:36
Hi Vikky

It is hard for me to say if the starting up a company and runing a company is leadership?. I believe it is more of entrprnshp. And it is of same difficulty to define leadrship. A leader is someone who is of good charector, motivates people and lays a path to be followed, while taking responsibilities is any effect in this path and correct it. Thats my definition. Check it out if there were any situation during the running of the firm, where you had to stand in the forefront, to set the rules, to guide your subordinates....

When writing essays, NEVER forget to give evidence. There is no point if someone writes, I posses execellent communication and leadership skills, if he does not provide any evidence. It is a MUST. Your exprnce with the NGO will act on ur favour. Your novel writing shows you have interest apart from just business (which again will differentiate from the 2445 application that these school recieve).

All in all, be true in your words, be self. Trust me, when I wrote my essays, I sort of discovered myself. And what really interests me, which school suits me etc...It really, really really re-defined my ultimates goals.

The factors will have good impact on your application, but I would never underestimate the others who would be applying. Not to discourage you, but I know a person (a very close frnd) with a 700 gmat, a business deveopment manager in china (not a chinese), who cam here to start a business from stratch and now the turn over is quite good, who was rejected by Stanford. You would never know till you apply. Give a lot of time to the essays (but gmat is prime to - it the key to the first door). Proof read your essays with your best frnds and also take a 3rd party opinion. See if their opinions match. Then revise the essays, before your final submission. Wish you good luck.

Regards

Giving another SHOT

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 01:08
hi,
thanks for the reply.i have written in my essays that post mba i plan to restart my buisness venture and have also mentioned in the esssays how could mba would have benefitted me at that time, infact in the portion why an mba, istarted with my buisness experience onle, but i am majorly concerned with my GMAT and GPA scores, which are far less than the average of columbia?
i wonder whether i will get thru or not?any ideas about columbia

Hjort wrote:
Please note that in the modern era the ultraelites are far more concerned with producing accomplished businesspeople than businessmen . . .

Re: starting one's own company, the value of this depends in part on how you are marketing yourself to the school. If you are selling yourself as an entrepreneur, then having previously run a rather successful company demonstrates that you have some knowledge of the demands of being a a business owner. Your story is even better if you can show how your business would have been more successful if only you had the skills/contacts/wisdom of having attended school x's MBA program. On the other hand, if you express strong interest in being a worker bee who will climb up the corporate ladder, your self-employment experience is probably less relevant.
  [#permalink] 27 Apr 2005, 01:08