Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Applications - The todo list

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1556 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
MBA Applications - The todo list [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2006, 16:27
I'm shocked by how much there is to do. Anyone else overwhelmed?

Set up accounts on websites. Log in, fill out information. Find out my parents job titles. Find out when they graduated from what universities. Revamp my resume. Revamp it again. Confirm each and every title with the HR department. Confirm salary. Find out number of employees at each firm. Find out annual sales. Write short industry blurbs for certain schools. Determine exact dates of attendance at all university or post-high school institutions. Determine exact course titles, exact grades, and calculate each year's gpas. Then download different self-reporting transcript types and place data in there exactly. Double check. Triple check it. Make sure everything is exactly right on every page. Find out what my extracurricular activities were in college. Find out how long I spent on each one. Per week. Was I elected or did I just join? What was the last time I was part of it? What did I do while I was in each one? Why did I do it? How did I do it? How was this meaningful or impactful to the team? Identify key courses taken in undergrad that are pertinent. Identify and confirm exact course titles. Confirm GMAT taken date, and score, percentiles and raws. Input exactly, then also order GMAT scores from GMAT website. Ensure I'm getting the right school code. Identify three recommenders. Prepare a draft outline for the first. Take him or her to dinner. Talk to them about the outline. Explain your plan. Discuss graduate school. Get their buy in, send it to them. Do the same thing for the second and third. Contact students at each school. Try and meet them to talk. Call the alumni and do the same. Call each schools adcom office to determine when you can visit and when you can sit in a class. Prioritize the visits. Identify key deadlines for each school. Identify post graduate activities and what you did and when you joined. Identify key responsibilities at each and write short blurbs about each one. Find out number of members. Get presidents phone number and place on application. Call president and become more invovled with each one. Contact schools to set up interviews. Prepare for interviews. Explain any gaps in your resume. Identify any works published with titles, references and dates. Also list an honors. Describe significant study outside of the US or work outside of hte US. Revamp your resume again by now because its changed. Identify key accomplishments. Double check all the dates. Book any flights and hotels necessary. Get time off work as needed. Write first draft of essays. Complete basic information for application #1. Identify key application #2, narrow school list and start second app. Re-write draft of essays. Have a friend review. Re-write it again. Then again. And again. Double check word counts, spelling grammar. Edit again. Backup your files to a CD in case. Keep track changes on your resume because otherwise you'll forget which one is the latest. Find time at work to squeeze this in. Somehow keep track of the versions at work and the versions at home. Dont get confused. Keep track of each school seperately. Identify key courses at each school that you are interested in so you can speak intelligently about the school.

What did I forget?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2006, 20:42
Yeah, I'm working on Wharton essays right now and I'm realizing what a total pain in the butt it is. My message to anyone who is not working on their apps right now is GET STARTED! I've probably put 40 hrs into Essay 1 for Wharton already, because it's the most critical (career progression, why wharton/why now crap). This process really sucks, but you either have to go all-out or not even mess with applying, especially at the elite schools.

rhyme - which schools are you applying to and what apps are you working on now?

Marcus
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2006, 06:21
HBS
Kellogg
Chicago
Yale
One more TBD, possibly Georgetown

So far I've:

Pretty much done all the pre-essay prep work - resume is revamped, recommendation letter outlines, transcript requests, etc. I've also done about 20 hours on HBS essay OUTLINES so far. I am starting the actual essays today.

The challenge with HBS has been making impactful statements in 400 words or less.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2006, 06:34
On the plus side, once you collect this information for the first school you can use it on subsequent applications.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2006, 06:53
Cool... good luck with HBS writing... I know those are going to be nasty, given the absurd word limits. I'm definitely starting to see that this process will get easier for subsequent apps, but the 1st one really sucks. BTW, have you read "65 Successful HBS Application Essays"? Very good book. Some of the leadership stories are off the chart, but even those that aren't provide a great reference on how to communicate the essentials in so little space.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 07:49
Ryme or anyone else who wants to answer,

Just curious, what you mean by 'recommendation letter outlines' ? Could you please suggest what I should be asking my manager to do for the rec letter?

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 08:22
I wrote outlines for each of my recs.

That is, helping them know what to write. Reminding them of key accomplishments, awards won, tasks I achieved, elements they should include.

I.e. They should mention their own title and if they have an MBA, mention it, especially if its from teh school you are applpying to.

They should comment on your performance overall, and compared to your peers. They should talk about specific achievements you've made, and how that has helped. It should be a gushing thing. They should comment on your cultural sensitivity, team orientation, analytical skills, leadership ability, maturity, how "fun" you are to work with, etc.

I wrote a 7 page guide for each, specifically reminding them of how I was a leader for project X, or how I mentored person Y, or how I was fun because of X, etc.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Applications - The todo list [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 13:10
rhyme wrote:

Confirm each and every title with the HR department. Confirm salary. Find out number of employees at each firm. Find out annual sales. Write short industry blurbs for certain schools.

Rhyme (and others)... is it really necessary to confirm each and every title with HR dept? Not that I will lie in my resume, but I sure dont hope that the MBA admissions office to contact my employer to verify this as I have not informed them...plus my official title and actual title differs a bit (to make my position unique, etc due to visa/green card crap, etc) ... can you of you other guys shed some light on this issue??

Thanks!

I believe its yogurt!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: MBA Applications - The todo list [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 17:05
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Confirm each and every title with the HR department. Confirm salary. Find out number of employees at each firm. Find out annual sales. Write short industry blurbs for certain schools.

Rhyme (and others)... is it really necessary to confirm each and every title with HR dept? Not that I will lie in my resume, but I sure dont hope that the MBA admissions office to contact my employer to verify this as I have not informed them...plus my official title and actual title differs a bit (to make my position unique, etc due to visa/green card crap, etc) ... can you of you other guys shed some light on this issue??

Thanks!

I dont know about each school, but Harvard is very clear on this. They specifically tell you that they hire an independent firm to verify this information. I've spoken with a couple first years who have confirmed this is the case. I suspect that, to a great degree, its intended as less of a check and more of a deterent to fibbing. That being said, the easiest thing to do would be to call the admissions office, explain the discrepancy, and ask for how to best address it.

As for Chicago, KGSM, Wharton, STanford, etc - I don't know.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 04:48
Thanks Ryme.
  [#permalink] 27 Aug 2006, 04:48