Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-10-2013
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: MBA at 30+ is it good choice ? [#permalink]
prab2012 wrote:
Choosing to go for MBA in the peak of my career 8+ years in IT and with tons of responsibility?I

Really? You feel you have reached the peak of your career?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-10-2013
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
prab2012 wrote:
Choosing to go for MBA in the peak of my career 8+ years in IT and with tons of responsibility?I

Really? You feel you have reached the peak of your career?

Dear Ducksworth,
I feel i could see how my future roles will be and where i will be landing up :)
This made me say that....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
prab2012 wrote:
Dear Ducksworth,
I feel i could see how my future roles will be and where i will be landing up :)

Oh I see :) Btw, I am also 30+. My intention for doing an MBA is to learn better skills that I feel I will find useful immediately but also for the remaing 30 years-ish of professional life I still have ahead. Actually, even in terms of salary, INSEAD average salaries are below what I make now so this is not really a motivation. The cynic in me also thinks that a year out of work can help me understand better what I want to do. That plus, a year around the world with my future wife sounds like fun!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Ducksworth wrote:
prab2012 wrote:
Dear Ducksworth,

Oh I see :) Btw, I am also 30+. My intention for doing an MBA is to learn better skills that I feel I will find useful immediately but also for the remaing 30 years-ish of professional life I still have ahead. Actually, even in terms of salary, INSEAD average salaries are below what I make now so this is not really a motivation. The cynic in me also thinks that a year out of work can help me understand better what I want to do. That plus, a year around the world with my future wife sounds like fun!

After a long successful career, I wanted a BREAK!! Break does not mean vaccation, something that is different but still very much useful. I could not find anything better than an MBA and I am much older than you all. Average salary of my school is less than half of my current package ... so those are definitely not motivation.

The true reason is, we all will be heading something BIG very SOON. It is a huge and huge responsibility. It is your moral duty to do the very best. To do the very best, you must have a very broad and comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of business. Your day to day 'on the job' experience may be practical but may not be the best way of doing the things. I hope the MBA experience will open the other side of the story and that will make me more balanced in my decisions and actions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
There are many b-school students at 30+ but only you can answer the questions if it's a good choice for you now. You can also consider EMBA programs which are more suitable for older professionals with many years of work experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
WE:Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I'm in the 30+ crowd and it's certainly on my mind a lot lately, especially now that I am starting to get a peek at some of my classmates. I will definitely be a bit of an age outlier. But I am hoping that the diversity that my age and experience adds to the program is some kind of asset to my classmates. (And I hope they see it the same way :) )
I also feel like it's the perfect time for me personally to go back, both for lifestyle and professional reasons. I feel a lot better equipped to succeed now at it then when I was 26.

The key isn't where you are in your career now but where you want to go and whether the MBA (or some other mechanism) will take you there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
WE:Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
french16 wrote:
There are many b-school students at 30+ but only you can answer the questions if it's a good choice for you now. You can also consider EMBA programs which are more suitable for older professionals with many years of work experience.

This. I am over 30 and looking to slightly change fields (financial services to corporate finance). For me an MBA is the best path. If I was already earning 90k+, I don't know...
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Kudos
The answer to this question is -- it depends.

Going back to school full-time is a huge investment to make at any stage of your career, but especially as you get older. Some schools have definite age bias and/or try to encourage 30+ candidates to pursue a part-time or executive option. However, if this is really what you want to do and can articulate your dedication to your studies through your essays and interview, then nothing should hold you back. Just do your homework as to which schools are most receptive and which ones are least receptive and choose accordingly.

Just one piece or advice. At Wharton we had much higher expectations for older candidates especially when it came to your recommendations and interviews. These are two aspects of your candidacy that you really have to manage to make sure that they are top of the class. The biggest reason we rejected 30+ candidates was based on their interview -- especially those who did not seem absolutely committed to their studies.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
As someone who is in their late 20s and who is constantly exposed to MBA candidates (I work for a business school), I would say that you're never too old/experienced for more education. I meet EMBA students everyday who are not only completing their MBA part-time, but they're working full-time, and have wife/husband/kids at home. I often look at them and wonder how they do it, but the experience is always worth it, no matter the sacrifice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
prab2012 wrote:
Hi GClub,
Can somebody shed some light on opting for MBA at 30+ age? Choosing to go for MBA in the peak of my career 8+ years in IT and with tons of responsibility?I m confused and looking for people in similar sitaution...
Wanted to know the options we have for scholarships/funding and the time we spend in MBA and post MBA career and job market
My intention is not to get a one line answer but wanted to know the ground reality and the challenges...

Thanks,
Prab

I'm in the same 30+ club.I've been working for 10 yrs and feel that I need a change from technology(avid coder) and go into the strategy/business side of things,well atleast thats one of my goals and I believe an MBA degree will help me achieve that.Cliche as it this may sound,its very important to know your goals and how you see yourself post-MBA in the short term and long term.And looks like our life just became tougher considering the b-school scrutiny of 30+ folks :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I've had the good fortune to meet many 30+ year-old admits at top schools. I wouldn't worry too much about your age, honestly. Sure, there are fewer admits at age 30 than say 27, but I would be willing to bet that part of the reason is that fewer 30+ year-olds apply in the first place.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
I am in the bandwagon too. You all have pretty much summed up most of the reasons, from career switch, to taking a break to get a future insight of direction, to remuneration etc. It is definitely worth taking a try. But what intrigues is the choice between EMBA/FT/PT programs - many reasons attribute to it. to leave full time job, to how future employers perceive this decision, to age factor playing a part in our career placements post academics vis a vis younger applicants, unless your aim is entrepreneurship....
But good thing, as mentioned in the thread, is the perception of most schools' admission councils, for intake of our age groups, on an average seems positive, unlike obviously a few schools.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot