Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 07:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged]

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. In my humble opinion, a book that every MBA should read.

Also, the Social Contract by Rousseau might be interesting for a different view on matters... personally I thought it was bad but I am sure not everyone shares my opinions.
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 09:53
Great books listed! Hopefully after I finish a redo of the GMAT and get my FRM certificate I will have time to get through atleast 4-5 books listed.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 11:38
Man, i miss reading. There was a good period in between graduation and deciding to take the gmat where i could actually devote time to reading
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 21:13
Just thought I would revive this thread. With Rd 2 being over in many cases hopefully lots of other people have been accepted and are now looking forward to prepping for school instead of the GMAT and applications. Some great reading lists in this thread.
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
Schools: McCombs '15 (M)
WE: Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 43

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 20:57
Case In Point (Cosentino) anyone?

I am starting this fall and looking at consulting as a career path. Does this book provide a good overview of the process and an introduction to case interviews? Or is it something that would be a better tool once I am in classes?

(I didn't see it mentioned previously in the thread; forgive me if I missed it)
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 37

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
Gorgasali wrote:
Case In Point (Cosentino) anyone?

I am starting this fall and looking at consulting as a career path. Does this book provide a good overview of the process and an introduction to case interviews? Or is it something that would be a better tool once I am in classes?

(I didn't see it mentioned previously in the thread; forgive me if I missed it)

I think Case in Point is actually a great summer read prior to beginning of classes for a couple of reasons. First is the busy workload you're going to get from school will sort of prevent you from reading Case in Point. Second is simply getting all the company briefings, career services, your town, evening receptions, and everything outside of classroom situated will take a long time. Third, you can probably read that book a couple of times - once during summer and one more as you finish getting acclimated. Obviously, this is my opinion - some folks may think it's a waste of time to do it this way, but I found it to be useful (I'm no longer going into consulting, but as I went through the process I found it helpful)

As for the book, it's a great introduction to consulting and the interview process. It presents itself, I think, 12 readily available frameworks (albeit very very generic) and is a great starting point for those who are interested in this field. I'd say this is definitely a must read for those who haven't been through the consulting industry or interview. And no, I don't believe the content of the book will really help you in your classes. The book is truly geared just for those who are prepping for consulting interviews. Lastly, I really don't think the book itself will get you into a consulting firm, but it's the tens of practice cases you'll do that'll help you prep. Treat the book as things you learn in the classroom; treat case practices as real stuff. So the trick is turning theorems into practicums!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 07:10
Expert's post
I just finished reading Poor Economics by Banerjee and Duflo. It was voted the "Business Book of The Year" by the Financial Times and Goldman Sachs in 2012. It's a very informative and easy read. I highly recommend it!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 36

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 01:18
Found it extremely useful. Thank you all
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 16:46
The Elusive Quest for Growth is one I would couple with A White Man's Burden, both written by Easterly, and are both interesting reads.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 13:00
Just released: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FR79A6Q.

Career Forward: Do You Need An MBA To Succeed?

From the description:

Do you need a Master of Business Administration to succeed?

Career Forward helps you answer this question and more...

...including:
    Will it help you advance in business?
    Will it help you make more money?
    Is it worth the cost? If so, which program is right for you?

Don't make this life changing decision in isolation.

You have plenty of choices when it comes to getting an MBA. Career Forward will take you through each option in simple, organized, easy-to-read steps, giving you recommendations tailored to your needs.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 23:14
Solid post. I would recommend starting out with a book or online course for speed-reading, as you're going to have a hell of a hard time doing all of this reading AND the pre-reading your chosen MBA program gives you (1200 pages, in the case of INSEAD) without proper skills. But I'm biased. I teach a course on the subject.

My #1 recommendation for business school: learn how to speed-read, super-learn, and retain information.

jle.vi/superlearner

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q0 V0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 16:19
Hey everyone, I wanted to introduce you to a new book of mine called The MBA Survival Guide, that I think is a great read prior to or during your MBA. I cover topics around admissions strategies, student life, academics, recruiting, etc. Full disclosure that I am the author and am obviously trying to market my book to you, but having gone through the MBA process myself and consulted with a lot of friends and former classmates, I think it is a very worthwhile and entertaining read. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about my background or the book, please check it out! It can be found on Amazon at the below link or by searching the title or author name.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNE6TKC
MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged]   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2014, 16:19