Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 19:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged]

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2136

Kudos [?]: 7314 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 23:18
Expert's post
Many believe the Brealey Myers to be the bible when it gets to corporate finance handbooks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007336 ... 0073368695

You may be able to find an earlier edition but it is a Business School textbook (not an easy to use guide). You may want to look into the Dummies series - they make it easy to jump into complex topics - I generally like their books.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 15:23
Thanks buddy, I've added both to my list. The Dummy series is a really good suggestion. I've read some of their books and they were very helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 15:26
I would add two books to the list:

FIASCO & Infecious Greed, both by Frank Partnoy on derivatives and how it screwed up the financial system in the 80s & 90s. Sometimes feel a little long, but still a good read for those trying to get into the derivatives arena.
Current Student
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 13:20
A new section has been added on design-thinking, an approach to problem solving that brings about greater innovation and creativity.

Design Thinking Books
1. The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage - Martin shows how leading companies such as Procter & Gamble, Cirque du Soleil, RIM, and others use design thinking to push knowledge through the stages in ways that produce breakthrough innovations and competitive advantage.
2. Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation - Tim Brown, CEO of IDEO, introduces the idea of design thinking and it′s a human−centered approach to problem solving that helps people and organizations become more innovative and more creative.

Here's a good overview of design-thinking.
http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/dev-pat ... enting-mba

http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg & Darden
WE 1: Energy (Sales)
WE 2: Energy (Corporate Development)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 39

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 14:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there, may I chime in? A couple of weeks ago I finished "Creative Capital: Georges Doriot and the birth of Venture Capital" by Spencer Ante, which is basically a biography on G. Doriot, professor of HBS, one of the most important players in the early VC industry and one of the founders of INSEAD.

I found the book to be well written and engaging. I think it gives a nice intro on how VC companies work and the dynamics of financing and capital structure, in a very basic but entertaining way.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg & Darden
WE 1: Energy (Sales)
WE 2: Energy (Corporate Development)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 39

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 17:12
So yesterday got my full-of-gmatclub-inducted-books Amazon package. Already went through the first fifty-so pages of Monkey Business, and must say it´s absolutely hilarious and just can´t stop reading it. Mixed feelings, the more I read about banking, the more awful it sounds but the war stories almost make it sound funny!!

A couple of books I would also recommend are "Brewing Up a Business" by Sam Calagione (of Dogfish Head fame) and Beer School (by Steve Hindy and Tom Potter of Brooklyn Brewery). I read both of them because they are related with my brewing hobby and might be interesting to the entrepreneur wannabe.

The first one is written in a more entertaining style, and Sam is a very interesting person. Deffinetely recommended.

The second one is kind of more academic. A little more to the point, but not so dinamic.

Take into account that they are more oriented to a "family business" kind of entrepreneur and not to the techie or high potential type that might be more common in BS students...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 21:10
Hi Rohansherry,

This book is certainly a good book to learn the process of how to prepare/market/frame yourself for the MBA admissions process. If you have not applied for business school before it really gives a good framework to understand the importance of essays, coaching your recommenders, and get an idea of what some of the admission commitee representatives of some of these schools take into consideration. That being said, there is no book that will "Get you In," but I can say that it was useful for me when I was going through the application process.

I just noticed that your post was made in August. If you decided to apply this year you may already have recieved your results. I hope that you got into your first choice!

rohansherry wrote:
how to get into top mba programs by richard montauk any idea about this book.. ??
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 05:38
I just started reading "The McKinsey Way." Pretty interesting so far.

Thanks for putting together a list of recommended books!

Respect my Authoritaaah!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
From Higher Aims to Hired Hands: The Social Transformation of American Business Schools and the Unfulfilled Promise of Management as a Profession

by Rakesh Khurana

This book gives the history on b-schools in America. It discusses why the schools formed and why/how they have transformed over the last 100+ years. I found out about this book from BusinessWeek and have found that it has helped me frame my rationale for going to b-school.
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 06:29
How is it that nobody has mentioned The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs by Charles D. Ellis? This is THE definitive book on the history of GS and an excellent read for anyone interested in anything finance related post-MBA.

Also i scanned thru the thread and didn't see one of my all time favorites - Inside The House Of Money by Steve Drobny.

Another one that provides great first hand accounts of the S&T business is Traders, Guns, & Money by Satyajit Das.

Also a great read on the history of world finance - The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson.

I also highly recommend Jim Rogers' Investment Biker and Adventure Capitalist, both of which I've seen mentioned in the thread but not on the front page? Same with From Good to Great and Built to Last by Jim Collins.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 06:31
I also like Victor Niederhoffer's Education of a Speculator.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 08:20
Assuming you want a headsup on the MBA itself - I'd go for the Guerrilla MBA software (clickok dot org) and also afew of those MBA in 24hours type books. You basically want to get your head around the models.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 6

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Favorited this page.

Never Eat Alone is an excellent read. Also surprisingly relevant to dating.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 18:11
Great suggestions guys, I have a lot to read.

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 22:22
Agree with Good to Great by Jim Collins. He's also got a few interviews about the book on http://www.charlierose.com

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Good books to read prior to MBA [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 15:20
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 19:26
Does anyone know if there is a great Magazine list comparable? I know they change with the times but I think that might be helpful.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth (Interview), Kellogg, Darden (Interview), Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 05:16
This post received
KUDOS
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 12:45
I'd say the following for magazines:

Energy Sector
Oil & Gas Financial Journal
Offshore
Oil & Gas Pipeline Journal
Renewable Energy
uptreamonline.com

Retail
Mass Market Retailers

Internet
E-Content

General
The Economist
The Deal (Finance Focus)
Businessweek (for informational purposes)
Global Finance
CFO
World Trade (Mainly Supply Chain)

spyguy wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a great Magazine list comparable? I know they change with the times but I think that might be helpful.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged] [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 12:47
Thank you for the list. There are a few there that I have not looked into.
Re: MBA Books - Good books to read prior to MBA [Merged]   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2010, 12:47