Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA - Brand Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

MBA - Brand Management [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2008, 05:51
Hey Everyone,

Brand Management just caught my interest recently and I dont know much about it.

I tried the googling method with no real luck so I thought I would post on here.

First, In comparision to consulting/IB, how does Brand Management stack up in pay? :)

and then secondly, I really dont know of schools that are known for branding, I guess it would be schools that are known for Marketing? Is there an actual Brand Management focus for an MBA program?

Thanks guys!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: MBA - Brand Management [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2008, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT4Lyfe wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Brand Management just caught my interest recently and I dont know much about it.

I tried the googling method with no real luck so I thought I would post on here.

First, In comparision to consulting/IB, how does Brand Management stack up in pay? :)

and then secondly, I really dont know of schools that are known for branding, I guess it would be schools that are known for Marketing? Is there an actual Brand Management focus for an MBA program?

Thanks guys!

The pay is ~ 90-110K (Salary), ~20K Signing Bonus, Relocation depending if you move ( Can be considerable) and usually an end of the year performance bonus between 10% - 40% depending on what your contract states.

As for schools with strength in Brand Management, your intuition is correct. Strong marketing schools are the best for this function.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA - Brand Management [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2008, 07:49
GMAT4Lyfe wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks guys!

From what I've heard Kellogg is tops for Marketing. Duke is consistently ranked in the top few programs for Marketing as well.

Anyone else know more about the rankings?

How to Get Into a Top MBA Program
http://www.squidoo.com/topmbaprograms
How to Ace the GMAT - 3 Proven Tips
http://EzineArticles.com/?id=1247291

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: MBA - Brand Management [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2008, 07:57
Here is a pretty good link discussing Brand Management:

http://www.answermba.com/MBA_Career/Marketing.html

"At the highest level, Brand Managers supervise the marketing function for a specific brand of a consumer product. Brand managers are often compared to small business owners because they assume responsibility for a brand or a brand family. They always focus on the big picture. It is a job of a Brand Manager to distill the brand's essence, map out competitors in their brand category, identify marketing opportunities, and be able to effectively communicate the unique benefits of that product or service."

I would say look at the list of top marketing schools (Business Week by Specialty), Kellogg, Haas, Duke, Harvard, Indiana, Ross, UNC, Wharton, McCombs, and Darden
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA - Brand Management [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 14:22
Hi, I'm a student specializing in Brand and Product Management @ UW-Madison so thought I could help (even though it's old post). squali83 is right that the pay is usually around 100k with decent signing bonus. I would also want to note that UW-Madison is the first school to have Brand Management program in the country, and pretty successful at what it does, with top CPG companies like P&G, General Mills, 3M and many others, coming to campus to interview every year. With 100% internship and job placement, the value you get here is definitely something to consider for your career goals.

For me, Brand Management is attractive because you become the boss of a business within a larger business. They give you the key to run a multi-million (or billion) dollar business and you manage everything from marketing, manufacturing, innovation, investment, and other general business decision. It's also the path to general management and successful startup CEO.

http://bus.wisc.edu/centers/center-for- ... management
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: MBA - Brand Management [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 17:56
Out of curiosity, why is brand management only limited to CPG?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA - Brand Management [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 21:44
RoyHalladay wrote:
Out of curiosity, why is brand management only limited to CPG?

It's not only limited to CPG. But when you look at which companies have brand manager as a job function (vs marketing manager), a lot of them are CPG companies. I would think that a CPG product, where a brand manager can take consumer insight, to come up with innovative product redesign, and target the segment best suited with a marketing plan, is what differentiates brand manager from marketing.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: MBA - Brand Management [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 23:05
squali83 wrote:
GMAT4Lyfe wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks guys!

The pay is ~ 90-110K (Salary), ~20K Signing Bonus, Relocation depending if you move ( Can be considerable) and usually an end of the year performance bonus between 10% - 40% depending on what your contract states.

As for schools with strength in Brand Management, your intuition is correct. Strong marketing schools are the best for this function.

Hope this helps.

hey, do u have any idea wrt pay scales in the luxury sector ?
Re: MBA - Brand Management   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2013, 23:05