Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Dec 2014, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA but no business/finance background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-05-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

MBA but no business/finance background [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 11:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am seriously contemplating business school. I have no business/finance background. I know diverse backgrounds are encouraged but i am having trouble molding my current experience to my future goals which is to attain my MBA and specialize in marketing. I have been an insurance claims adjuster and am seeking a more fulfiling career experience and am tired of feeling like a drone and just some employee with no voice. My experience in insurance claims in not linked at all in marketing in anyway so my difficulty in my essay is saying how my experience now would make me a great candidate for a marketing program. Any advice on how to tie in my field or work now to my career goal in the future will be greatlyyyyyy appreciated.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 2

Re: MBA but no business/finance background [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 14:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey there,

So this may sound strange as advice - but a possible way to tie the two together is...to not tie them together at all. I'll do my best to explain. Keep in mind, there is a much longer conversation that needs to happen here regarding how to still showcase MBA worthy attributes of your current profession but I wouldn't be able to get into that here with the information I have on hand.

A lot of students utilize an MBA to switch careers. Teachers to consultants. Bankers to entrepreneurs. Actuaries to brand managers. The stories there are always the same. You have to showcase your current experiences and why they set you up for success in an MBA, why it is nothing near what you want to do, why you want to move to marketing (or any other profession), and what has made you want to change / what you have done to start moving in that direction. Have you spoken to marketing professionals or held informational interviews? Maybe you've joined a professional organization to learn more. Or maybe the insurance company you work for just has a great marketing team (some are funnier than others) and it inspired you.

At the end of the day, the transition has to be realistic and logical. Logical doesn't have to mean you are using your pre-MBA career to set up your post-MBA plans. You could cut ties with them entirely for all the school cares AS LONG as you articulate why and how that old career is going to make you an asset in the classroom.

Like I said, there's a lot more to talk about around how to showcase your experiences to make sure the MBA programs don't feel you'll be a wasted body in their class but from a goal perspective, if it's your passion, it can be conveyed!

I'd be happy to chat more about this and good luck!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-05-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: MBA but no business/finance background [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 07:15
Wow, i really hadnt thought about it this way. I am a claim adjsuter that settles Bodily Injuries. I work for GEICO and i truly am inspired by the marketing for a product as intangilble as insurance. My reasons for chosing marketing it that i have a creative mind and like to think outside the box. My job restricts me from doing so . And i have no fomral marketing training . The reason for wanting this MBA is for a career change. I can say that my job training now has tough me how to make good business decisions as well as satifying customer needs.I will definitley take your advice and incorporate this in my essay. I really appreciate it. :-D
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 2

Re: MBA but no business/finance background [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 10:57
Expert's post
Glad I could help - good luck!

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: MBA but no business/finance background [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 11:32
I agree to your view that diversity is welcome in Business schools. You bring experience of the insurance sector and knowledge about a product which is extremely difficult to market. It is very important that you bring this perspective in your application essays.
Besides work experience, admission committee look for several other elements in an application. They look for people who have demonstrated leadership ability, multi-tasking ability and who achieved results.
Take time to introspect and find situations in your life where you worked as team lead or took initiatives. These are essential to write a good application essay.

Best of Luck!
http://www.InterviewBay.com
Re: MBA but no business/finance background   [#permalink] 23 May 2013, 11:32