Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Field??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.78
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA Field?? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 14:57
I am a Research Scientist in chemistry and would like to change my field. I am thinking of giving GMAT, hopefully this summer 2013. Right now my practice GMAT exam scores are in the range from 680 to 740. I am from Bay Area and would like to do GMAT in nearby schools.
First thing is I am little confused about choosing the field in which I would like to do my MBA, most probably Finance but I would like to take some advice from this forum if there is any better field that I should do give some thought. Since I do not have any background of marketing as well as finance, it is little difficult to choose from.

Any suggestion appreciated. Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MBA Field?? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 16:12
Expert's post
GMATBHU wrote:
I am a Research Scientist in chemistry and would like to change my field. I am thinking of giving GMAT, hopefully this summer 2013. Right now my practice GMAT exam scores are in the range from 680 to 740. I am from Bay Area and would like to do GMAT in nearby schools.
First thing is I am little confused about choosing the field in which I would like to do my MBA, most probably Finance but I would like to take some advice from this forum if there is any better field that I should do give some thought. Since I do not have any background of marketing as well as finance, it is little difficult to choose from.

What do you want to do? Do you want to stay in chemistry research? Do you want to work for a chemical company? Do you want to do something entirely different? We can't answer those questions for you.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.78
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA Field?? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 16:27
aerien wrote:
GMATBHU wrote:

What do you want to do? Do you want to stay in chemistry research? Do you want to work for a chemical company? Do you want to do something entirely different? We can't answer those questions for you.

Thanks for the response. There are two things in my mind right now after MBA... one is stay in the same field (i.e. Chemistry) so I can work for a Chemical company. Or the second thing is complete change of field, in that case I am thinking of Finance.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

Re: MBA Field?? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 16:35
Expert's post
GMATBHU wrote:
aerien wrote:
GMATBHU wrote:

Thanks for the response. There are two things in my mind right now after MBA... one is stay in the same field (i.e. Chemistry) so I can work for a Chemical company. Or the second thing is complete change of field, in that case I am thinking of Finance.

Ok - and a follow up question to that, in what part of the chemical company do you want to work? If you want to stay on the research side, I don't think you need an MBA. I feel like research jobs at major corporations would rather see someone with a Master's Degree or PhD in Chemistry, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want to go into finance, then there are obviously tons of schools to consider -- with a 680-740, you can take a look at Booth, Wharton, Sloan, CBS on the high-end as well as NYU, Cornell, Yale, etc. However, while some of these are your traditional finance schools, you'll have to look at the placements at these schools to see if they recruit into the chemical industry. I don't know much about that industry so I can't really say, but I have a feeling Ross might be a pretty good option to consider as well.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 628

Re: MBA Field?? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 08:08
Agree with aerien here. Figuring out what you want to do will go a very long way. Not only will it help you select a field to study and places to apply, it will also help you once you get to the ubiquitous "goals" essay.
Re: MBA Field??   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2013, 08:08