Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA for an entrepreneur?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA for an entrepreneur? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 15:00
Hi Hjort,

First of all, thank you for taking your time to review this post.

I have been working at a start-up company for the past 5 years and I have just started my own startup this year. We've been in operation for about 4 months now, and both myself and my partners (2) agree that it would be helpful for the company if I get an MBA. Our basic line of reasoning, among others, is that an MBA will expedite the development of necessary business acumen along with credibility for the necessary mergers and aquisitions that'll need to happen for us.

To give an idea of our company structure, the three partners are comprised of a Programmer, a Creative Director, and a Business Developer (me).

My Profile
- 5 yrs work experience at a small start up as director of operations.
- Currently running my own start-up.
- Graduated w/ 3.5 from a relatively unknown undergrad.
- GMAT = 700/6.0
- 28 yr old asian american male.

With this in mind, I have several questions:

1 - Would the adcom @ B schools look down at someone with my profile given that I have no experience from the typical fortune 500 companies, and that I've just started a business?

2 - Given a certain situation, I wouldn't be able to get a recommendation from my previous employer. However, my 2 partners have worked with me closely for the past 5 years (at the previous company). What would be my best options? And would this situation hurt me alot?

3 - I have relatively minimal "typical" community service experience. But I have provided pro bono services for several start ups which helped them get through the beginning stages. Would this be considered a valuable community service experience?

4 - I don't have any special certifications, extraordinary skills or experiences.

5- My top choices are: Harvard, Columbia, NYU, MIT, Stanford. My second choices are: UNC, Virginia, UC Berkeley. I'm basically looking for a strong General Management program with an entreprenuerial twist. What are my realistic chances? Perhaps you can recommend some programs that you see fit?

Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,

Anthony
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 16:32
1. Not really. Applicants from other employers are quite successful. The major advantage of Fortune 500 applicants is that they have been pre-screened by a (relatively) major company and thus represent less employment risk. For entrepreneurs this is not very important.

2. You would need to explain the situation but this should not be fatal to your application

3. Probably not- maybe if they were community-oriented start-ups.

4. I would search harder- find something interesting about yourself, it need not be spectacular.

5. I would keep an open mind about which ultra elites to include in your portfolio- Wharton is certainly worth looking at. Among the Elites, Michigan and UCLA are worth a closer look. For the Trans Elites, Carnegie is conspicuously absent. You might want to look up Babson as well.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thank you. [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 22:11
Dear Hjort,

Thank you very much for your fast response! I really appreciately your feedback. I apologize for this rather late "thank you." I will look into both UPenn and Babson.

Sincerely,

Anthony
Thank you.   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2006, 22:11

MBA for an entrepreneur?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap