Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA for college senior

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MBA for college senior [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 14:52
I will be entering my senior year (4th year) in college in September. I am a humanities major, and have no formal work experience (but have had internships). I took the GMAT the previous week and received 740 on it. My GPA is 3.91 from a top-ranked North American university.

I know almost all MBA programs require work experience, but I would like to apply for MBA right now. So far, I have found the following programs:

Harvard 2+2
Yale Silver Scholars
Various other MSc Management programs


What I would like to know is which business schools are most friendly to applicants without work experience? For example, I know Cornell is more receptive to applicants such as myself. Are there any others?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
avatar
Status: Yale! (whipped and bound)
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 403
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: MBA for college senior [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 13:27
Why do you want an MBA? And why NOW?

And a semi-rhetorical question: why do you think top schools require (or strongly prefer) work experience?
_________________

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MBA for college senior [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 19:54
Expert's post
In general for "top" schools, there's Yale SOM, Harvard 2+2, and Stanford's deferral program (similar setup to 2+2). There are other MBAs receptive to students without work experiences if you go down the rankings in US News but you have to consider if those programs are worth it for you and your career goals.

If you want to get a general background in business and didn't study business in undergrad, Duke has a master's in management program.

I'll echo machichi when I say please consider why you want an MBA and why now. It might be the "easy" thing to do to stay in school but it also might be helpful if you work for a year or two to help figure out what you really want to do long term.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA for college senior [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 12:04
aerien wrote:
In general for "top" schools, there's Yale SOM, Harvard 2+2, and Stanford's deferral program (similar setup to 2+2). There are other MBAs receptive to students without work experiences if you go down the rankings in US News but you have to consider if those programs are worth it for you and your career goals.



How far down the rankings do you mean? Can you give me a few examples?
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MBA for college senior [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 13:04
Expert's post
world012 wrote:
aerien wrote:
In general for "top" schools, there's Yale SOM, Harvard 2+2, and Stanford's deferral program (similar setup to 2+2). There are other MBAs receptive to students without work experiences if you go down the rankings in US News but you have to consider if those programs are worth it for you and your career goals.



How far down the rankings do you mean? Can you give me a few examples?


I've seen the likes of Carlson, Olin, Bentley, Pepperdine, etc accept people coming straight from undergrad. I don't know if there's any significant correlations between those schools and their rankings but that's what I've seen.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA for college senior [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 13:08
aerien wrote:
world012 wrote:
aerien wrote:
In general for "top" schools, there's Yale SOM, Harvard 2+2, and Stanford's deferral program (similar setup to 2+2). There are other MBAs receptive to students without work experiences if you go down the rankings in US News but you have to consider if those programs are worth it for you and your career goals.



How far down the rankings do you mean? Can you give me a few examples?


I've seen the likes of Carlson, Olin, Bentley, Pepperdine, etc accept people coming straight from undergrad. I don't know if there's any significant correlations between those schools and their rankings but that's what I've seen.


I was hoping for higher ones. I think the lowest I want to go is UCLA Anderson. Yale SOM is ranked a lot lower, but I think the Yale name more than makes up for it
Re: MBA for college senior   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2013, 13:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic College senior seeking MBA advice Noctus 11 15 Sep 2010, 21:46
3 Which MBA Programs for College Seniors? pwee1212 3 08 Jun 2010, 14:22
Experts publish their posts in the topic College Senior -> MBA? pwee1212 1 03 Jun 2010, 12:18
College Senior -> MBA? pwee1212 1 03 Jun 2010, 11:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MBA for college senior

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.