Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA for no work experience?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 121
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

MBA for no work experience? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2007, 18:00
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was wondering what sort of prospects I have for graduate education.

I've just finished my undergrad, and am looking into whatever programs (with a preference for quantitative finance programs) could land me the best career opportunities upon completion.

What programs would I have a shot at with no work experience at a young age?

Age: 23
Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Asian-American
GPA: 3.3 (UVA's McIntire - BS. Commerce with Conc. in Finance)
GMAT: 780/99% (50Q 95%; 48V 99%) (first attempt)
Work experience: Interned for a summer at SIG on Wall St. // Some experience doing internet start-ups though only meager success

Additionally, I am currently applying to CMU's MSCF and Berkley's MFE program, could you rate my chances for those programs as well?

Best regards,
Jing
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4819
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA for no work experience? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 15:24
Expert's post
JingChan wrote:
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was wondering what sort of prospects I have for graduate education.

I've just finished my undergrad, and am looking into whatever programs (with a preference for quantitative finance programs) could land me the best career opportunities upon completion.

What programs would I have a shot at with no work experience at a young age?

Age: 23
Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Asian-American
GPA: 3.3 (UVA's McIntire - BS. Commerce with Conc. in Finance)
GMAT: 780/99% (50Q 95%; 48V 99%) (first attempt)
Work experience: Interned for a summer at SIG on Wall St. // Some experience doing internet start-ups though only meager success

Additionally, I am currently applying to CMU's MSCF and Berkley's MFE program, could you rate my chances for those programs as well?

Best regards,
Jing


Jing,

I think your chances at the CMU and Berkeley programs you mentioned are good. You have excellent numbers and what appears to be some solid and interesting experiences relevant to your goals. Why are you unsure you'd be competitive at these programs?

Given your lack of work experience an MBA is less doable, since most schools like 2-3 years of experience. However, there are some exceptions--schools known for admitting large percentages of newbies like yourself. Rochester, Vanderbilt, CMU, and Illinois are all respected finance schools and all average at least 9% students with 1 year or less of work experience.

Good luck,

_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 121
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA for no work experience? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 16:29
Accepted.com wrote:
Jing,

I think your chances at the CMU and Berkeley programs you mentioned are good. You have excellent numbers and what appears to be some solid and interesting experiences relevant to your goals. Why are you unsure you'd be competitive at these programs?

Given your lack of work experience an MBA is less doable, since most schools like 2-3 years of experience. However, there are some exceptions--schools known for admitting large percentages of newbies like yourself. Rochester, Vanderbilt, CMU, and Illinois are all respected finance schools and all average at least 9% students with 1 year or less of work experience.

Good luck,



Thanks for your advice. I am unsure of whether I'll be competitive because I know my GPA isn't fantastic.

May I inquire about my chances for Princeton's MS in Finance, as well?

-J
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4819
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA for no work experience? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 22:08
Expert's post
JingChan wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Jing,

I think your chances at the CMU and Berkeley programs you mentioned are good. You have excellent numbers and what appears to be some solid and interesting experiences relevant to your goals. Why are you unsure you'd be competitive at these programs?

Given your lack of work experience an MBA is less doable, since most schools like 2-3 years of experience. However, there are some exceptions--schools known for admitting large percentages of newbies like yourself. Rochester, Vanderbilt, CMU, and Illinois are all respected finance schools and all average at least 9% students with 1 year or less of work experience.

Good luck,



Thanks for your advice. I am unsure of whether I'll be competitive because I know my GPA isn't fantastic.

May I inquire about my chances for Princeton's MS in Finance, as well?

-J


J,

Sorry, but I am an MBA guy and don't know Princeton's MS program. Just judging by the quality of that university overall I assume its MS program would be at least the same caliber as CMU's and Haas's. You should give it a shot. Even if you are a marginal longshot at Princeton, marginal longshots do get in.

Good luck,

_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
MBA: Work Experience prakhag 0 19 Jul 2012, 13:02
Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA: Work Experience prakhag 2 19 Jul 2012, 13:01
Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA: Work Experience prakhag 3 19 Jul 2012, 13:00
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA without Work Experience vadehra 6 05 Jun 2012, 04:37
1 Work Experience for an MBA bgphelps 3 21 Dec 2010, 11:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MBA for no work experience?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.