Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA from a Japanese University

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 01-16-2013
GPA: 3.37
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

MBA from a Japanese University [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 22:42
Konnichiwa!

I am Suryansh Gupta, an Indian National with 3 years of experience in Project Planning and Project Management.
In the course of my 3 year professional experience, I have worked for 3 months in Japan, and I am currently learning Japanese, though I have started with the N5 JLPT basic course.
Japan is the 2nd largest economy in the world, with one of the best minds and hardworking manpower. What is the reason that it is not at par to an European or American MBAs?
What I intend to ask is that, how good does a Global MBA (taught in English) from a Japanese University perform in the internationl arena?
Specifically talking, I am concerned about Nagoya University.
I have already sent the required documents to them for Preliminary screening.
Post MBA I shall be looking for a job in the Asia Pacific region itself.

What I am most concerned about is the ROI.

I think I have given you a nice topic to discuss.
Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu!
Doumo Arigatou Gozaimasu!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 20

Re: MBA from a Japanese University [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 06:21
Hi! :) I found this thread by accident and I couldn't help but be interested in it. I'm half-japanese so I hope my opinion might be a little helpful. ^^

I totally agree with you about the language benefit. If you want to work in Asia, maybe J-school is a wise choice since many big companies operating in the region are undoubtedly Japanese! And by learning Japanese, it's very easy that you will get to learn Chinese, too (by Kanji).

As for Nagoya's MBA, the program is internationally accredited, but I don't really know much about it since I'm not a permanent resident in Japan. But the university itself is really famous (one of national seven universities - kinda like ivy leagues). It's a prestige one. So, I think it's a really good choice. But there are other schools in Tokyo that might be more famous nationally. Well, here are my personal Top 3 based on academic excellences and international reputation..

1. Keio University - Very reputable. The program is accredited by AACSB, so, no worry. One-third of the cases taught here also comes from HBS.

2. Waseda University - Another reputable one, but a little lost to Keio. However, the faculty produces the greatest number of CEOs than any other universities. Their alumnus are founders of Honda, Nintendo, Sony, Samsung.. etc. So, great network for sure.

3. Hitotsubashi University - Small and new but cool. Very well-respected in Japan and East Asian.

Anyway, I'm sure that Nagoya won't lose to these schools. It may not be as famous but I believe it's also great. Furthermore, Nagoya is a very nice place to stay, very beautiful. So I suggest you choose the one you want to spend two years of your life time with. Living in Japan itself has many advantages. In my opinion, it's one of very worthy life experience. Wherever you choose to study, I can assure you that knowing Japanese is a big plus in both private and professional life :)
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA from a Japanese University [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 15:55
Expert's post
here is a good article about why the MBA struggles in Japan: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/educa ... d=all&_r=0

your best bet is to get in touch with your potential employment recruiting targets and see if those companies hire MBAs that would be the rubber-meets-the-road test for ROI.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 01-16-2013
GPA: 3.37
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA from a Japanese University [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 21:15
Thank you for your replies Ayane and Bryan.

Ayane: I believe we share the same view on the reputation of the university. But I think, NUCB suits my requirements better (Financially as well).
However, I am still worried about my Japanese Linguistic knowledge, By the end of the course, I plan to clear N3 JLPT. Think that might be sufficient to find a job in Japan.

Bryan: In short, MBA from Japan is risky, but if it pays off, it will be huge?
What about a Japanese International MBA's scope in the European/ Americas Market?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA from a Japanese University [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 16:28
Expert's post
I agree with Ayane--if your plan is to remain in Japan, it's a safer bet, but if you would like to go international--particularly Europe or USA, then I would go elsewhere for b-school.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews