Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: MBA funding question [#permalink]
Unless someone has an especially generous set of parents, pretty much everyone will be funding their education with loans or scholarships. At 25-27 years old, it's pretty hard to save up the >$100k you'd need for two years of tuition and living expenses.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Taking a $100k + loan is still quite scary for me :) (Disclaimer: I am European = free undergraduate education + not used with the concept of indebtedness to fund education)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
RR666 wrote:
Taking a $100k + loan is still quite scary for me :) (Disclaimer: I am European = free undergraduate education + not used with the concept of indebtedness to fund education)

Then you're ahead of the game. There are a lot of people in the US who took out student loans for their undergrad as well. Think of it as an investment that will shape the rest of your life.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
You are fortunate to start with a clean slate, thank your government for its fair education policy. Most MBA students carry student loan debts for tuition and living costs from their undergraduate. Imagine what it is for them to increase the debt by another $100,000. If you wish to learn more about the student debt time bomb, read NYTimes.com/education with comments from readers.

I think most small MBA small talk is about how much loan students take. If you are from Europe, you also need to adjust your mindset to healthcare costs in the US.

RR666 wrote:
Director
Director
Send PM
RR666 wrote:

Well then, I'd like to welcome you to the US education system, where student loans control us all...

:cry: :cry:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I have about $30k in cash savings and about another $20k in non-retirement stock accounts but I'm still leaning towards using a good chunk of loans. As a career switcher there is a chance I could graduate without a job and I would like to keep some of my savings around in case I have to live off of them after graduation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
RR666 wrote:

It's scary for all of us. Unfortunately, we don't really have much other choice in the US.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
I have about $30k in cash savings and about another $20k in non-retirement stock accounts but I'm still leaning towards using a good chunk of loans. As a career switcher there is a chance I could graduate without a job and I would like to keep some of my savings around in case I have to live off of them after graduation.

Damn! You are going to get killed in NYC. I've got c. $50k in cash savings but I am so averse to indebtedness I will use all of it on tuition.
Director
Director
Send PM
RR666 wrote:
mappleby wrote:

Damn! You are going to get killed in NYC. I've got c. $50k in cash savings but I am so averse to indebtedness I will use all of it on tuition.

No student loans, and 50K in savings...

You do not deserve to make this thread...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
RR666 wrote:
mappleby wrote:

You have $50k in cash savings and think you "haven't saved much?" You have probably 5-10x what most MBA students will have in cash savings and you got your undergraduate degree for free. You have absolutely nothing to worry about at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
I went to a commuter state school for undergrad and came from a poor single single parent household so luckily was able to graduate debt free thanks to scholarships, grants, and a low state tuition. Thanks to my entrepreneurship endeavours I'm not going to take out any loans as well. Debt scares me and at 7% interest its not worth me keeping my money at 1% in a savings account.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
I went to a commuter state school for undergrad and came from a poor single single parent household so luckily was able to graduate debt free thanks to scholarships, grants, and a low state tuition. Thanks to my entrepreneurship endeavours I'm not going to take out any loans as well. Debt scares me and at 7% interest its not worth me keeping my money at 1% in a savings account.

7% is just insane. In Europe the rates are just so much lower. It will be 3.5% for me. A swedish friend told me of rates being even lower in Sweden (1.5-2%).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Ha ha.. consider indian applicants.. $100k is more than 5 years' total salary for an average applicant.. interest on education loan 14%
And did I read that you are scared :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Vips0000 wrote:
Ha ha.. consider indian applicants.. $100k is more than 5 years' total salary for an average applicant.. interest on education loan 14%

How much do indian mba programs cost?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:

How much do indian mba programs cost?

Most of the indians go to US for MBA. There are hardly 3-4 good programs in ISB, IIM A,B... Ohh I ran out of names after 3. :evil:
Tuition at these schools is around $40k or so..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
While most people here are concerned about "being in debt", people from India, aka me, will have a problem even getting that kind of a loan. Unless one lands up in one of the best schools, the stanfords or kelloggs of the world, no school will cosign the loan for you. And if you do not get a US-cosigner, which will be the case for 99% of applicants, you wont get a loan (even at 10%) from any US creditors. This means the only choice we have is Indian creditors, who will only provide a loan up to $30k-$50k at 12-14% without any collateral. If you want full tuition+living expenses, one would need to provide collateral or mortgage your house.

I am still trying to figure out how to get a loan. Will come to the problem of worrying about the debt later. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
slugabedd wrote:
This means the only choice we have is Indian creditors, who will only provide a loan up to $30k-$50k at 12-14% without any collateral.

12-14% is really stiff. Here in Western Europe I can borrow ($50k max though) at 3.5% (there is a parental guarantee though).

But I am really worried about the cost on the U.S. part of my funding package. I am leaning toward Yale at the moment and the loan they sponsor for international students carries a 7.75% interest rate ... and you need to add to that a ridiculous 5% origination fee. Given I would need to borrow at least $50k from Yale on top of the $50k of my Euro loan I am really not happy about that.

I have pretty much gave up on matriculating from Booth (my dream school) because I would need to get $125k of loans (at the very least). I don't want to be in that position once I graduate, especially given I am no aiming for consulting or finance jobs (been there done that).
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2