Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Goal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

MBA Goal [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 07:44
Hi everyone. I have a question, and it's very similar to a question that somebody else recently posted. I am in the midst of my b-school applications and, like everyone else, I am working on my essays. The reason I want to earn my MBA is because I want to learn how to build and run a business. I have a humanities undergrad degree (Spanish), and after college I became an officer in the Army. In college I had no idea what I wanted to do, but in between then and now I have realized that I want to run my own business. Because of my military service I haven't had much exposure to the business world, and I'm not exactly sure of everything that is out there. I know business school isn't where you go to "find yourself", but is it unaccepable that I want to get an MBA to help transition my leadership experience from the military to the business world? I am very much interested in small businesses and entrepreneurship. So I guess my question is, since b-schools want to know if your experiences plus an MBA from their school will equal success, or even makes sense logically- is having entrepreneurial goals, with no idea of a specific industry or business plan a bad thing?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: MBA Goal [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 08:05
Having not been accepted into a program yet (I awaiting decisions/interview invites now) take what I say with a grain of salt. My impression, from friends who have been in a similar situation as you and coming directly from ad-coms, is that they want a coherent story that makes sense with your background.

Saying you want to be an entrepreneur probably isn't as good as saying I want to start my own logistics organization using leadership/organization skills that I developed in the military and the business acumen that I cultivated while at XX B-School.

B-Schools have a really long history of developing ex-military so they'll know that you won't know exactly what you want, but developing a story that makes sense would likely help your chances.
Re: MBA Goal   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2010, 08:05