Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Graduates Getting Creative In Recession

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
MBA Graduates Getting Creative In Recession [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 11:27
Key points from the article:

1) A growing number of MBA graduates are seeking opportunities away from traditional areas like investment banking in light of the recession and current climate on Wall Street.

2) If you're interested in studying for an MBA degree, now may be an ideal time to get started, with many economists predicting that a recovery will begin as soon as next year.

3) Silicon Valley technology leaders are still hiring, although at a slower pace. Otherwise, the current business climate has led other MBA graduates to start their own companies, explore options in fields like renewable energy and nonprofits, and to even weigh job opportunities in other regions of the world that have not been as hard hit by the recession.

4) More foreign-born students are now checking into business options in their home countries because of the U.S. economy.

http://www.mymbacareer.com/mba-news/863 ... ssion.html

Anyone read a CREDIBLE article published by a well known economist who is predicting that recovery will begin next year? Because all the ones I read so far are either biased or just speculative without merit....

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

Re: MBA Graduates Getting Creative In Recession [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 04:01
Recovery will begin next year - this is a fine exmaple of an "educated guess". And a guess is just a guess, no matter how educated. In my view, the decision to apply to b-school should not be based on something as unpredictable as the world/US economy.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: MBA Graduates Getting Creative In Recession [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 06:54
I would fathom that the turnout isn't going to happen any time soon.

However, just because the economy doesn't turn around doesn't mean job prospects won't get better.

RF

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: MBA Graduates Getting Creative In Recession [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 07:16
Nerdboy wrote:
In my view, the decision to apply to b-school should not be based on something as unpredictable as the world/US economy.

But this factor has to do EVERYTHING with our decision to apply to bschool. It's a huge factor - almost 90% IMO.

Many people choose to go to bschool to enhance their career, to switch their field, to get better pay, and mostly to find a job.

If economic forecast affects the number of job openings, hiring freeze, and future hiring plans, then we should be concerned with world/US economy and account for this factor before applying to bschool.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

Re: MBA Graduates Getting Creative In Recession [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 09:20
OK, you should be concerned with the economy. Everyone is. My point was, you should not base your decision on (positive) expectations about the economy because they are likely to be wrong. When the global recession will end is anybody's guess. If your goals can only be realised in an economic growth environment at the time of graduation, this isn't good. I am trying to set realistic goals that are achievable in case the recession goes on.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Re: MBA Graduates Getting Creative In Recession   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2009, 09:20