Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Hopeful - Feedback please?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
MBA Hopeful - Feedback please? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 10:37
Hi Stacy - Request your evaluation of my profile below:

I am aiming for the following schools whose programs inculcate strong Entrepreneurial Values and have shorter program options:
1) INSEAD
2) Stanford GSB - Full Time
3) Columbia
4) Haas School of Business
5) Harvard University
6) Darden

GMAT Score: 630 (Q 46 V31 AWA 5.5) Retaking GMAT in a month

Born in Montreal but finished High School in Delhi, India and then studied in Canada. As for professional life, worked in Canada & USA before moving back to Delhi, India primarily to kick start an Entrepreneurial Venture and lead the Sales Team in the Family Business.

High School
-----------
Delhi, India
Major: Concentrated in Science with Economics
Grade: Scored more than 85%

Undergrad
----------
Name: Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
Degree: B. Eng (Systems Engineering)
Grade: High Distinction, Deans List and GPA:10.6/12 (Canadian System)

Work Experience: Total 9+ years of experience

Canada & USA
--------------
After Undergrad, worked as Project Manager (Engineer & Technical) for companies developing Mobile devices for 6 years - 3 years in Canada & 3 in USA with a couple of promotions

India
-----
Family Business - Tacker Technologies, Technology Service Provider
4 years working in the Family Business as the Director, Sales of Technology Solutions

Entrepreneurial Venture - Donut Factory, Food Industry (Retail)
Created my own small snack food brand - Donut Factory - with 4 outlets at the maximum across Delhi but scaled down the venture due to more load in the family business

Extra Curricular Activities:
- President of Alumni Chapter in Delhi, Carleton University
- Co-Founder of India - Canada Alumni Network in the presence of the Canadian Ambassador to India
- Technical Editor for an Technology magazine in India, AV Beats
- Invited Member of Infocomm International (International Organization serving the Audio Visual Technology Community ) due to Volunteer activities for promoting the organization and serving the members in India
- Lots of Community service - Volunteering in Blind Schools and at the local houses of worships

I'm thinking alot about a)whether I need to retake the GMAT and b) how to strengthen my profile to fit the schools of my choice.

Your input is be really appreciated. Thanks much.

- Amit

My Road to an MBA - http://mbahopeful.wordpress.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA Hopeful - Feedback please? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 14:13
Expert's post
Hi Amit,

I strongly recommend you take the GMAT test. The reason is because, let's consider Chicago Booth for example, which has a similar GMAT score to the programs you are looking at. The average GMAT score there is 720, with an 80% score range of 660-760. This means that if you applied, your score would be in the bottom 10th percentile. This doesn't mean that you would not be accepted, but it is not a preferable position to be in.

Admissions teams will focus on your highest score, so I highly recommend considering re-taking the test.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap