Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA in Business Analytics... can I make it?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

MBA in Business Analytics... can I make it? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 06:01
Hi Jon, I would appreciate it if u could help me find some direction.
Please don’t get bored (another Indian IT Male profile). :!:

Education:
10th Standard – 86%
12th Standard – 88%
BE, Electrical & Electronics – 70% (first class). A reputed college that always gets ranked as the No:1 private engineering collge in my state.

GMAT History:
1st attempt - 650
2nd attempt - 730 (Q49 V41 AWA: 4.5 IR: 8)

Work Experience: (39 months when I apply)
Systems Engineer at Infosys Limited (Jun 2010 - Jan 2010)
# Finished Infosys Foundation Program with a CPGA of 4.9/5
# Trained in Business Intelligence. Did projects in data warehousing and data integration using Business Intelligence tools and Database programming.

Senior Systems Engineer (Jan 20120 - Present)
# Moved away from programming and specialized in Business Intelligence tools.
# Mentored 2 juniors in my project.
It would take at least one more year to attain a leadership role in workplace :(

Leadership Experience:
# Creative Head of my college's Entrepreneurship development club. My team's work in the club was to find innovative ways to market our events in and outside our college and pull volunteers and sponsors for our events.
# Got to meet top entrepreneurs in our city and learnt a lot from their speeches and seminars.

Extracurricular:
# Graphic designer. Headed the design teams in college symposiums. Have done a bit of freelancing.
# Designed the logo of my company's Toastmasters Club. I design official mailers for my office events too.
# NSS (National Service Scheme) volunteer. Been part of their rural education camps.
# Volunteered in Infosys community outreach initiatives.

(You can add all other common aspects that you'll find in any Indian IT guy's profile :lol: )

Now,

My primary interest is in Marketing. But there is a huge gap between what I do now and what I want to do in future. Moreover, I do not want to sacrifice 4yrs of work experience either (honestly I don’t hate the work I do now. It's just that I have bigger goals). This is where I found MBA in Business Analytics to be a very comfortable choice for me. The schools provide a good mix of Business Intelligence, Business Analytics and Marketing in their curriculum. It'll help me target good Market Research Analyst jobs. But I fear that these schools would be out of my target range.

Stern, Tepper, Mccombs, Kelley and Notre Dame offer Business Analytics concentration.

1. Are there few 'safe' schools which offer Business Analytics concentration?
2. Where should I be targeting? Top 20-30? I have no clue :oops:
3. Do u see any teeeeny bit of information in my profile that I can exploit and use to set myself apart from my crowded applicant pool?

Again, I would appreciate it if u could help me find some direction.
Thanks! :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA in Business Analytics... can I make it? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 00:21
Expert's post
Hey dude!
I like your sense of humor and irony... veeery important to have when applying! (especially as ANOTHER Indian Male Tech dude ;) )

Sooo to answer one of your questions positively but negatively: so far I didn't see anything super unique that makes you stand out.... buuuut that doesn't mean it isn't there! (maybe your sense of humor??) one thing for sure: find it before you apply!

Data Analytics.... some schools (like the ones you mentioned) offer programs, others are just good at it (MIT, Booth for example, although they may be long stretches for you)

I would say your school list is pretty good, and maybe even Kelly might be a safe school for you, so you are off to a good start. I'd also suggest thinking about Anderson too, which matches your profile pretty well. I think your "Sweet spot" is probably around schools ranked 20-40 (a very rough evaluation).

Hope this helps!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA in Business Analytics... can I make it? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 22:34
Thanks Jon!

Kelley a safe school? Did u say that just to encourage me?! :-D

I agree, there is nothing unique.
You really think I can take the risk of opting for a semi-formal tone in my essays? The problem is that I tend to be very frank. How frank is too frank? For example, can I admit making a wrong choice in life?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 516 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA in Business Analytics... can I make it? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 00:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well, maybe not safe safe, but let's say somewhere between competitive with safe. And YES of course I want to encourage you (while remaining frank). Encouragement gives you energy! And the voyage can be long and hard, dude!

As for the tone, I can't say exactly what you should do without working on it with you. A semi-formal tone can work, but also might be too "Standard" (I think I would categorize semi-formal as what most people use, but it's too subjective to say what it means without seeing actual writing). Some people go with totally formal, others with totally informal. Basically you have to find what works for you. And it is true that the VOICE you take in your essays is another area in which you can add uniqueness to your profile. (taking risks can pay off too).

Hope this helps, dude!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: MBA in Business Analytics... can I make it? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 22:44
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Encouragement gives you energy! And the voyage can be long and hard, dude!
True that! You gave me fresh confidence :) :)

Yep.. I guess I have to take some risks to stand out.
Will keep your valuable points in mind while drafting my essays. Thanks Jon.
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: MBA in Business Analytics... can I make it? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 22:55
Expert's post
You got it, sir.
And you if you have anything else, yo come and find me here,
Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com