Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 10:51
Hi Experts,

i would like to know more about MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management.
Which B-schools are providing MBA in tourism ? Which school is best for this course ?
How about job oppurtunies for this after course ?

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 02:26
Hey there,

I can answer this one since I am interested in the same thing. I have done extensive amounts of research in the past few weeks and have to the conclusion that the best and only school you want to go to is Cornell University. Cornell offers the 12 month Masters of Management in Hospitality (MMH) that is bar none the best and most well-recognized in the hotel industry. The school partners with the Johnson School (MBA) for its real estate investment courses, and also offers a joint program with Singapore's Nanyang University, which I actually plan to do for its access to opportunities in Asia. The benefit to Cornell is that the very top names in hospitality recruit there, both in terms of hotel operations/management (Starwood, Hilton, etc.) and real estate investment (Jones Lang La Salle, etc.).

Several other schools in the U.S. are known for hospitality, including Michigan State, UNLV, and U. of Houston (Hilton School), but they are not as well regarded or more regional (UNLV).

Internationally, I would say that ESSEC Paris comes close in terms to what I've found of placement to well-known firms, but you're more likely to find jobs in Europe. There is also the Hotelschool in The Hague in Netherlands, which offers a masters program that is tied to Erasmus University.

In terms of pure hospitality management, you'll also find the top Swiss schools as well-regarded particularly for pure management training. These include Ecole Hotelier and Les Roches. I'm actually meeting with a Les Roches admissions director in a couple of weeks but my interest level isn't particularly high for the school. They don't even require a GMAT score to get in, which make me uneasy about the quality of applicants and thus the reputation of students in the eyes of potential employers.

Hope this all helped!
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 02:49
Thanks shatta!

Your research have given me good insight about this course.
Since i dont have much information about tourism & hospitality mgmt, i am asking this question.

is tourism management included as part of this hospitiatlity mgmt degree? or it is sepearte stream entirely?
Please do share your thoughts.

Thanks again!!
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 03:20
Tourism management I would say would fit into the bill of hospitality management. I'm pretty sure that all these schools have a tourism component to them, but for the most part they focus on hospitality management and all that it comprises (front office operations/revenue management/food and beverage/finance and real estate). The knowledge can be applied to hotel and resort chains, cruise operators, restaurants, country clubs, etc.

So yeah I think to answer your question tourism management is something you could learn if you focused on it at any of those schools.
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 20:24
Thanks shatta!!

do you have any idea like what kind of profile the adcom will be expecting the applicant to have for this course ? are they expecting us to have the same stream in UG?

Cheers!!
Intern
Intern

Re: MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 20:33
No, not from what I can tell. I know one guy who graduated from Cornell and he did finance in UG. I personally did finance as well. I know they take former bankers and other career switchers; like any MBA program, you just have to make a compelling case for why (in this case) hospitality is right for you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 04:56
This is a joint degree offered in MBA. But as far as job offers are concerned, it has vast options in the field of Hotels, Restaurants, Tourism, Airlines and many more. Its quite interesting field to start off with your career in this field.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 09:22
What are you guys interested in doing with a degree in Hospitality Management? I have also done some research and the Swiss Schools seem to be really solid. I have a friend at FIU and she is very satisfied with the program. I am interested in the operations/revenue management within the hospitality area.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 01:46
Hi iwillscore750 and shatta!

I guess by now you must have progressed a lot in your respective careers! I'm having similar concerns as iwillscore750 had 4 years back.
I want to know from your experience that, did you get a chance to focus on Tourism Management if you did go for the Masters in Hospitality Management, at all.

I'm deeply interested in MBA in Tourism but disappointed with the fact that no good Schools offer this course alone, it's usually clubbed with Hospitality Management. Please share your experience on how were you able to get a course of your choice, if the schools offered Tourism as an elective at a later stage, which School did you go for and how were the placements, scope and all.

Thanks!
Xtatic
Re: MBA in Hospitality and Tourism Management   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2014, 01:46